Joe Milton’s future

Soooo you believe that 4 years of coaching and he just hasn't learned to not throw the ball like a rocket? Explain it to me and literally everyone else. There's several good athletes that never made it due to not listening to coaching and your looking at one in #7. Tell me what is preventing him from taking heat off the ball. What explanation do you have? None. There's no other logically explanation other than he just won't listen and refuses. He wants to show off his physical gifts and at this point cares more about #7 than that T on the helmet. You know like running out of bounds to end a game.
You’re fos.

Why are so many people in such a hurry to pass judgment on Milton? It's not like he is taking practice reps from anyone - Maurer is gone, Bailey is gone, Jackson isn't here yet and likely will need a year to develop. I don't see the harm in letting Milton continue to improve. I have been disappointed in what he has shown so far, but I will like him a lot better if Hendon goes down and the option is an untested freshman or a walk-on.

And, as far as very good athletes making boneheaded plays in critical situations, the list covers the whole alphabet, or at least B(uckner) to W(eber). It does not mean they never did nor ever will contribute anything positive.

Let the man develop. It's such a show me now world. He can and will be a good qb if he stays the path.
He will be in his 5th year. He is what he is and that’s a QB that excels against air but is not accurate, can’t read defenses, and has no vision. Add that is he’s scared to death to get hit and what more do you need to see? He needs to transfer down a level where he belongs

Reactions: mpfvol and Doberman
Let the man develop. It's such a show me now world. He can and will be a good qb if he stays the path.

The same was said about Guarantano until he transferred, and was the same QB at WSU as he was at UT.

Milton has had the same accuracy issues since high school, and 4 years of college coaching with two different P5 programs hasn't changed that.

Joe Milton's High School Football Stats

He will be in his 5th year. He is what he is and that’s a QB that excels against air but is not accurate, can’t read defenses, and has no vision. Add that is he’s scared to death to get hit and what more do you need to see? He needs to transfer down a level where he belongs
For me, it is a simple question - is the team better with him or without him? At the moment, with no other viable backup to Hendon, we are better with Milton. So, I hope he stays and makes as much progress as he can.

The only reason I can see for Milton's mistake at the end of the Ole Miss game was a loss of situational awareness. He might have thought he had tenths of a second left on the clock and could give one more heave-ho to the endzone. I think he has potential but needs more development time under good coaches that are willing to work and have the luxury of time and patience. A lot can happen between now and next season to give him more credibility and self confidence in his decisions.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
For me, it is a simple question - is the team better with him or without him? At the moment, with no other viable backup to Hendon, we are better with Milton. So, I hope he stays and makes as much progress as he can.

"Better" is a relative term. As in losing by 7 is "better" than losing by 37, but neither are successful.

Having Joe Milton on the team, does not give UT a better chance at being successful.

"Better" is a relative term. As in losing by 7 is "better" than losing by 37, but neither are successful.

Having Joe Milton on the team, does not give UT a better chance at being successful.
Just to be clear, if Hendon is out, you believe we will have better success with a walk-on that has never taken a game rep than with Milton?

Milton will likely be back next year, so it’s a moot point. Regardless of whether he ever develops into a starter, he’s a valuable enough backup and has bought into the program. You’re aren’t going to find a more experienced or prepared backup next year.

Already had posted this once:

“Everybody’s path is different, right?” said Kyle Hayes, Milton’s high school coach at Orlando (Fla.) Olympia High and mentor. “Joe’s still gaining mental experience at Tennessee. You’re always an ankle sprain away from being the starter. Just ask Hendon Hooker. He did an excellent job this year — I mean he came in and did what he was supposed to do. And Joe has to do the same thing, when an opportunity is there, be ready. He loves Knoxville, he really enjoys the coaches, the coaching. So it’s a positive for him. Everybody wants to play. But the thing is, you don’t have to be a three- or four-year starter to get your shot in the NFL.”

Rexrode: Tennessee's recruiting was the first, and last, thing we had to question about Josh Heupel

He'll be back and he'll be #2.
He knows going into the portal is risky and he may not start anyway so best odds are to stay putt and be ready if Hooker goes down, say what you want but the guy knew the playbook, that was clear with how fast he was lining guys up and getting the play off. It took Hooker a couple of games to get up to the speed they're at now, when he first started he looked more toward the sidelines for the play. Next season TN is going to be blazing fast.
The last few times Milton has been in his long ball has looked way better. Unless Jackson just goes beast mode I suspect Milton will be QB1 in 2023

Just to be clear, if Hendon is out, you believe we will have better success with a walk-on that has never taken a game rep than with Milton?

I'm saying that Milton doesn't increase the likelihood of success. Without Hooker playing, at the moment, we most likely lose the game with Milton or some walk-on. The only difference will be how badly we lose.

I'm saying that Milton doesn't increase the likelihood of success. Without Hooker playing, at the moment, we most likely lose the game with Milton or some walk-on. The only difference will be how badly we lose.
Can’t agree with you on that one. I think at least half of our games are winnable with Milton as QB. Hope we don’t have to find out.

At this very moment if Hooker went down and Milton wasn't there we're looking at McDermott? Smith? and I'm sure there's another one?

IF we had a lead and Hooker got injured, I'd trust Milton's experience to execute enough handoffs, dumps, etc to maintain a lead. The other guys have zero or next to zero real game experience in any form.

That's not an endorsement of Milton (and I WAS a believer in him) but just a measure of what else we have besides Milton and Hooker.

At this very moment if Hooker went down and Milton wasn't there we're looking at McDermott? Smith? and I'm sure there's another one?

IF we had a lead and Hooker got injured, I'd trust Milton's experience to execute enough handoffs, dumps, etc to maintain a lead. The other guys have zero or next to zero real game experience in any form.

That's not an endorsement of Milton (and I WAS a believer in him) but just a measure of what else we have besides Milton and Hooker.

If we had a lead, and didn't have to rely on Milton to actually score anymore during the game, then sure, they might hold out for the win. If Milton starts though, it's most likely the difference between losing by a little rather than a lot.

Reactions: Remy
If we had a lead, and didn't have to rely on Milton to actually score anymore during the game, then sure, they might hold out for the win. If Milton starts though, it's most likely the difference between losing by a little rather than a lot.
The chance of Milton starting is low next season unless Hooker is hurt. Again, if Hooker is hurt...... we're not winning over anyone but cupcake with any other QB currently on our roster.

There's little need to pick on Milton more than McDermott in that equation.

HH earned his spot, but you think he came in here with the least amount of time and our QB whisperer coach named him starter if your EXPERT analysis is even close? BTW call it what you want he has two years left if he wants them.

Let’s let coach deal with roster management issues and determine is this guy can add the intangibles to his undeniable physical gifts. Lights do come on late for some.

He has also seems to have shown good character in dealing with his role. It is easy to tell which fans value that, and which ones don’t. I believe our staff does. Stay or go AFTER seasons end or post spring sit down with staff, he to this point has not forfeited his right to be a VFL. It is possible that our 2 new QB’s performance after their arrival will impact all their thought processes on the depth chart for backup and number 3.

Reactions: TrojanVolFromOC
He has no future playing QB at UT. He likely has no future playing QB at any P5 school. He's got the body and arm, doesn't have the heart and head.

If he doesn't 'get it" by now, he never will. He's had enough experience and enough coaching. If he wants to keep playing football and wants to see the field, he is better off going FCS or Division II in my opinion. He is the unlucky version of Jameis Winston. I'll never forget him running out of bounds.

If he doesn't 'get it" by now, he never will. He's had enough experience and enough coaching. If he wants to keep playing football and wants to see the field, he is better off going FCS or Division II in my opinion. He is the unlucky version of Jameis Winston. I'll never forget him running out of bounds.

Guess we are lucky God blessed you with an athletic discernment gene. This kid has not shown the levels of arrogance that Winston did in his career unlike lots of arm chair coaches we encounter on these boards. I guess these posters will never “get it” either. Those that see value add in publicly trashing kids rather than letting the coaches with a complete fact set handle it are what they are. I was not blessed with athletic discernment, but was with impeccable poster analysis skills. Such a burden to bear.

He has no future playing QB at UT. He likely has no future playing QB at any P5 school. He's got the body and arm, doesn't have the heart and head.
Is the "heart and head" comment simply based on him running out of bounds?

Is the "heart and head" comment simply based on him running out of bounds?
I can’t speak for the OP on his assessment, but Milton lost me during the Pitt game. He would make a few good to great plays, and then kill the drive with something unexplainable. The clincher for me was the fumble that took him out of the game for good that day. He let go of the football to put both hands out to catch himself on the sack. I know that he was supposedly injured on the play, but that should have likely occurred when rolled up on the ground after the fact. I’ve never seen a QB do that before. The hit was not earth shattering, low, or vicious in any way. He seemed like he just forgot what was doing in that instant.

Reactions: mpfvol

VN Store

Back