Joe grew up

Joe Milton is actually a tight end within a quarter backs position. He is big, strong and very gifted physically. He literally runs over defenders. Run Joe Run ! That is you #1 asset ! Will boost your professional possibilities in my opinion. Running lanes were open all night around the corners as well as up the middle. It came natural to Hendon , however, it must not to Milton.
As I was reading the earlier comments on this post, I was thinking that with Joe's size maybe he should be tried at tight end, but it Nico isn't ready, or he gets hurt, then for sure it could be the end of a still successful season.

Reactions: ReelfootVol
I agree with most of what OP had to say. But, Dobbs could read an entire field at a glance and run to the space. So could Hooker, but I always worried about his stork-like legs. The tank approach isn't necessarily a formula for Joe's future success but it was good to see a new, aggressive approach.

It would seem odd to me if the coaches let Joe continue to avoid sliding. 🤔
Even tho Joe is a 6th year player he still can’t seem to instinctively read the field and too often stares down a single receiver. I was happy to see Joe have one of his best games and be more aggressive running the ball but his lack of passing accuracy just doesn’t allow CJH‘s offense to fire on all cylinders. Next year …

Last edited:
Jesus. He's certainly better than below average, and no one has talked about him like he should win the Heisman.
He’s 70th in total qbr and ranked 12th in the sec. This despite being in the most electric offensive scheme in cfb. And he’s been in the scheme for 3.5 years now and is a 6th year senior. Heupel made a mistake in choosing him to be the successor to Hooker. He had 2 years to have someone else ready to go.

Joe Milton is not the reason we lost to either Florida or Alabama. Letting the other team score 4 touchdowns in a half is why we lost those games.
So it's not Joe's fault our offense only scored two TD's the whole game and only one TD last week. Joe is not the only problem but as the starter the problem starts there and it's not getting better.

I think he gets part of the blame for that, along with some really bad play calling and officiating, but he had no part of the D giving up 4 touchdowns against Florida and Alabama in a single half. If you want to blame him for that, well, that's a take, I guess.

Not sure Nico is ready or needs to see the field currently. The fact is our receivers are not creating separation. And when they are they are making crucial drops. Unless that changes, putting Nico out there is just setting him up for failure, or forcing him to run. While I agree Milton should cut loose and run more and not worry about injuries, I would not say the same thing about a true freshman who is 5 years younger and 40 lbs lighter. Uconn may indeed be the right time because I expect our run game to be dominant and therefore play action should be as well, plus our receiver should be able to create some separation against that secondary. Any way, just one opinion
If he isn’t ready to see some action against UConn I would question that he is a true 5 star. Not that expect him to throw for 400 yards but good grief he should be able to come in and run some series. Other teams get freshman and sophomores ready. To be UConn is the perfect game to get some reps, we are at home and are way more talented than UConn. Live reps are the best way to improve. I have said all along we don’t need to rush or expect Nico to start game 1, but you can’t kids glove quarterbacks forever. Just like folks saying there is a danger in Joe running, for goodness sakes he is a 6th year quarterback with big games on the line down the stretch. You do what you have to do to win. No need to coddle a 6 year quarterback. GBO

We'll get a good, objective evaluation of Joe when the NFL draft comes around. He's no QB, but he might maker a heck of a TE.
I don’t think he has the mentality for tight end. I like Joe, I think he is a good guy but he doesn’t run with authority all the time. At times he shows physicality and other times he seems to run timid or reluctantly. But the main thing is he doesn’t always react quick enough. I don’t think he has the mental makeup for tight end. GBO

For all his improvements, Joe is just not a guy who is going to win the big games and win championships. Be interesting to see what his draft status is this spring. His size and arm strength will get him some attention but his other faults may override that with the NFL. Not trying to trash Joe, just commenting on what my eyes see.

Aye, but Hooker and Dobbs ran even more than Milton has been -- yes, eventually Hooker did get hurt -- and LSU's Daniels runs even more. Milton is bigger and stronger than all those guys.

Being bigger isn't necessarily a good thing for running QBs. As Cam showed in the NFL, for some reason refs don't seem to call as many roughing penalties on larger QBs than they do smaller QBs.

Being bigger isn't necessarily a good thing for running QBs. As Cam showed in the NFL, for some reason refs don't seem to call as many roughing penalties on larger QBs than they do smaller QBs.
Yes, I agree with you. But I was replying to his specific concern that he was more likely to get hurt if he runs, and just mentioned slighter-framed guys who ran but usually did not get hurt. Meanwhile I have seen numerous QBs get hurt just standing in pocket and taking late hit to the knees or elsewhere. Might as well run and dish it out instead of just take it.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
You don’t coddle quarterbacks, if your not going to let the quarterback run or he won’t run you are limiting yourself. Why even get a mobile quarterback if either he won’t run or you won’t let him. Spurrier never coddled, most teams don’t coddle. If a team knows your quarterback don’t like to run you are making yourself one dimensional. You can be a runner and be a smart one. If Cam Newton hadn’t ran at Auburn they would have never won a championship. Football is a tough game, played scared or timid and you LOSE! GBO

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Actually our offense gave up one of them touchdowns against Bama in the second half.
True. After John Campbell completely whiffed his blocking assignment on that play. Still, I think Milton held on to the ball too long in general on Saturday (although not on that play, that sack was pretty much unabated to the quarterback). He also was staring down his intended receivers, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Joe Milton is not the reason we lost to either Florida or Alabama. Letting the other team score 4 touchdowns in a half is why we lost those games.
The offenses inability to move the ball in the 2nd half is what lead to those scores. It's obvious this coaching staff doesn't trust Milton.

Ok like it or not ,its time we take our fan hat off and put our coach hat on..Yes joe has not hit every pass or been anything the hype had us believe preseason ,actually there has been ALOT dropped passes that shouldnt have happen..
BUT.I seen a different Joe against bama ,and it bled over from A&M..Joe realized he is bigger and stronger than any db on the field ,which in turn will become a very dangerous weapon for us..See i seen a hungry Joe.If you noticed Joe did not shy away from contact ,instead he was seeking it ..JOE MILTON my friends became a dog and opposing dbs now have a decision to make when joe comes out the backfield .a decision that can break there will or cause them to become a meme in todays social media ....Im excited to watch him develop this run the rest of the season .So no its not nico time just yet .Joe just realized he dont have to be bazooka joe .he can be tank joe that happens to have a bazooka on the ready .lets go fans get behind him and soak in the fact that now we could very well have the most dreaded qbs when he pulls it down and HOPES a db gets in his way
After 6 years of college football, it is about time. He did grow some and it made a difference in the first half. It seems the entire team took a nap in the second half.

As long as he doesn't get hurt.. That's the risk you take running him a lot. Problem is they may pretty much have to run him to win games.. The passing game is dysfunctional and can't be counted on..
That is a risk and certainly something no one wants to see, but as of right now do we think he is getting drafted? If not why not put it all out there on the line and try to use these last few games to either make or break you and give you an opportunity to continue to play a little and possibly show off at the combine?

Joe Milton is a beast. He has a monster arm, and his accuracy has improved. Dropped passes have been common this year. Even last year I told all my friends, he needs to be on the field, somewhere. Run , young man, run when needed.

Reactions: ReelfootVol
Is anyone else concerned that our backup QB is not ready???
NO, not sure he isnt ready if needed, just not ready to throw him to the wolves. Give him a year to learn, grow and he will be ready to roll next year. He does need some play time however.

1698169812269.png
Only took until 5 games left in his final, and sixth, season of college football, but he seen it.

Look, unless he dupes some scout or coach (like he did CJH) with his "potential" at 24 years old, Joe is destined for the CFL.

Last edited:
Ok like it or not ,its time we take our fan hat off and put our coach hat on..Yes joe has not hit every pass or been anything the hype had us believe preseason ,actually there has been ALOT dropped passes that shouldnt have happen..
BUT.I seen a different Joe against bama ,and it bled over from A&M..Joe realized he is bigger and stronger than any db on the field ,which in turn will become a very dangerous weapon for us..See i seen a hungry Joe.If you noticed Joe did not shy away from contact ,instead he was seeking it ..JOE MILTON my friends became a dog and opposing dbs now have a decision to make when joe comes out the backfield .a decision that can break there will or cause them to become a meme in todays social media ....Im excited to watch him develop this run the rest of the season .So no its not nico time just yet .Joe just realized he dont have to be bazooka joe .he can be tank joe that happens to have a bazooka on the ready .lets go fans get behind him and soak in the fact that now we could very well have the most dreaded qbs when he pulls it down and HOPES a db gets in his way
Actual footage of Milton playing rugby.

VN Store

Back