JK ready to be a big bright shining star

Means absolutely nothing until we can see if our guys providing "depth" can actually deliver, if they can actually play.

For example, if you looked at our CB situation last year, you'd have felt good about our depth, what with 4 year starter Sutton, junior Moseley who had a ton of experience, senior Malik Foreman, 4 star Justin Martin, 4 star freshman Marquill Osborne, JUCO DJ Henderson, etc.

As it turns out, nobody played worth a damn all season. So in reality, we had virtually no quality depth because nobody could cover anybody. We went to true freshman Baylen Buchanan early because nobody else cover anybody effectively, and of course we saw him struggle/fail as well, he too wasn't ready to play.

So in any way you wanna measure it, we had no depth at cornerback, only players/warm bodies.

I could do the same thing at linebacker, at DT, at DE, at S, at WR, at RB, at QB, at TE. The only position you can feel decently good about in terms of depth is at OL, and ALL those guys, from starters on down, need to seriously raise their level play.

Also, guess I can assume that you realized how utterly ridiculous your statement about losing 20+ starters last year was since you chose not to touch it in your response....good kid.

If we had adequate depth last year, we would of beaten SC and Vandy. Our recruiting numbers do look good. Unlike Clemson, we seem to have a lot of trouble on the player development front.

Reactions: 2 people
If John Kelly rushes for an average of at least 112.7 yards per game for 13 games, he'll set the new school single season rushing record. :)

If we had adequate depth last year, we would of beaten SC and Vandy. Our recruiting numbers do look good. Unlike Clemson, we seem to have a lot of trouble on the player development front.

Yep. Player development has been a problem. Gotta hope that changes with the staff shakeup.

Yep. Player development has been a problem. Gotta hope that changes with the staff shakeup.

We still have one of the biggest problems in that department with Thigpen. The guy is a great recruiter, but his coaching leaves something to be desired.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think he's as good as Kamara, and he's not as big. I think Kelly is somewhat overrated, but hope I'm wrong.

Kelly is a bigger back than Kamara. 5'9" 210-220. Kamara was under 200 and an inch taller. Kelly is a totally different back. He's decisive and runs hard as hell. Kamara was almost the perfect back for this system though.

We still have one of the biggest problems in that department with Thigpen. The guy is a great recruiter, but his coaching leaves something to be desired.

Agree. Linebacker position has been a mess under Thig despite some really good recruiting efforts.

Reactions: 1 person
Kelly is a bigger back than Kamara. 5'9" 210-220. Kamara was under 200 and an inch taller. Kelly is a totally different back. He's decisive and runs hard as hell. Kamara was almost the perfect back for this system though.

You're way off here. Kamara was/is 5'10" 215....Kelly is 5'9" 212, so they're approximately the same size. Where are you getting that AK was "under 200lbs"?

Agree with your characterization of Kelly....he runs with great, violent energy.

Last edited:
One year you are going to pull off one of your crazy wild senseless predictions and look like a genius for 5 minutes. Nots sure it is worth the years of no credibility but I think you are playing the long game for that 5 minutes.

Otherwise known as The Blind Squirrel Hypothesis. Or would that be a Theory?

Last edited:
Favorable schedule? Lol we draw the 2 best defenses in the West. It's well documented how running backs fare against Bamas D. That will be a game if JK hits 50 yards on 20 carries would be about as good a day you could ask for. LSU side to side may be as fast as any defense in the country. Good luck getting to daylight against that defense.

If we get to see Dormady picking defences apart with his arm, more yardage should follow in the run game. At this point, I think that is not only possible, it is probable.

I wish this young man the best. He should have a pretty decent OLine in front of him.

Would be a treat to see, but let's be honest here.

First, I've seen nothing from this OL that leads me to believe they're capable of being dominant run blockers. Until I see them block like UT lines of old vs SEC defenses, I remain a skeptic.

Second, unless UT can threaten teams with the pass, the box is gonna be loaded and I don't care who the RB is, it will be tough sledding.

Third, he has to stay healthy. UT seems to lose the top 2 or 3 most important players to injury every season. Something of a miracle Dobbs finished his career with no major injury.

So enjoy the heistman talk. Not a thing wrong with it, but where UT is concerned, my glass is always half empty.

We averaged 205 yards rushing a game last season with an Oline where they didnt start the same oline group at the same positions in a single game..all are back except Kerby getting a healthy Hall and Jones back...add Richmonds progression and Trey Smith in the mix and O-Line will be our strength.

Dormady can certainly threaten teams with the pass as much as Dobbs and JG has great potential.

Somehow with the last years OLine we managed around 450 total yards from scrimmage.

I do agree health is very key. Kelly goes down and we have Chandler who is no slouch and CFA.

Kelly reminds me of Stephens.

We averaged 205 yards rushing a game last season with an Oline where they didnt start the same oline group at the same positions in a single game..all are back except Kerby getting a healthy Hall and Jones back...add Richmonds progression and Trey Smith in the mix and O-Line will be our strength.

Dormady can certainly threaten teams with the pass as much as Dobbs and JG has great potential.

Somehow with the last years OLine we managed around 450 total yards from scrimmage.

I do agree health is very key. Kelly goes down and we have Chandler who is no slouch and CFA.

Kelly reminds me of Stephens.

You can't use the 2016 rushing stats as any sort of predictor for 2017 since 3/4 of the players responsible for those stats will not be on the field.

Agree. Linebacker position has been a mess under Thig despite some really good recruiting efforts.

Injuries are the issue (Berry, JRM, DKJr, Sapp) not the coaching. Some recruits haven't panned out (Bates, Bryant) but Sapp should be good now and Read and Ignont should help on ST and possibly get some meaningful snaps early.

Injuries are the issue (Berry, JRM, DKJr, Sapp) not the coaching. Some recruits haven't panned out (Bates, Bryant) but Sapp should be good now and Read and Ignont should help on ST and possibly get some meaningful snaps early.

Injuries were not "the issue". A bad lack of depth behind the starters has been the issue. I'll take it a step further. Only JRM has looked like a legit, playmaking SEC LB the last few seasons. DKJr has flashed at times, during his freshman season, but hasn't shown to be a top sec lb on par with what JRM at this point. Player development at linebacker has been very poor imo.

VN Store

Back