JJJ hurts us on offense and its apparent when he’s gone

Mashack playing in JJJ place, handling the ball well, and not shooting(knowing his limitations)all while playing shut down defense against one of the nation's best players was most likely an upgrade in a one game scenario. JJJ is a guy that can occasionally get hot and carry the team like the Auburn game. In most big games it's brick city. Now, that's not that it would be an upgrade in every game. Mashack is not consistent enough to play that way night in and night out. We need both guys playing and playing well moving forward. JJJ needs to find his mid range game and quit the 0-6ish 3 point games. If he does that his value goes from good to great.

Last edited:
?? I think you are confused. A forum is a place to discuss ideas and thoughts. I’ve watched every single game JJJ has ever played in. His defense is good, and his rebounding is good. He turns the ball over with his passing. He is an offensive liability and hurts us when we are in our scoring droughts. JJJ is wildy inconsistent to where he shouldn’t be getting offensive touches.
Not hating buddy, I call it as I see it. JJJ has been a fantastic “glue guy” but his injuries have degressed his offensive abilities.
I cherrypicked two games where he was bad, but just look at his effeciency and tell me he still helps us generate points.

Watching a game and interpreting what you see are two different things. What you're arguing simply isn't true.

Some of you people on here, respectfully, are absolute idiots. As someone posted above, Mashack didn’t score a point, but played 27 minutes. Why is that? Because he’s an unbelievable defender and flat out shut Bama down. Some of y’all need to wake up and realize theres a lot more to the game than offensive stats. If Mashack didn’t play in that game, we wouldnt have won. Period. His defense is spectacular. JJJ is incredibly valuable to. He can effectively cover every player, every position on the floor. Some of you fools need to realize there’s a lot more to the game than the offensive stat line.

Its true. He hucks up a lot of 3s and mid range shots. Can’t drive it to the rim. Great defender and “glue guy”. But JJJ is better when he’s on the bench.

Against Vanderbilt he had 28 minutes of play went 1-7, 2 pts, 5 brds and a steal. Not great minutes for our senior 5*.

Against Florida he had 29 minutes of play and went 2-11. Finishing with 4 pts, 7 rebounds and an assist.

We look better without him clogging our offense.

What would your Starting 5 look like?

Don't just moan and complain but maybe consider offering up some better options.

You know, ideas that help and not just tear down what has been pretty successfull.

What would your Starting 5 look like?

Don't just moan and complain but maybe consider offering up some better options.

You know, ideas that help and not just tear down what has been pretty successfull.
How about the starting 5 from the Bama game. Done. Next question.

I agree this is a a bad take and JJJ is a player we will need going forward but I do recognize this team still seems to be finding itself in the middle of February. We have an abundance of talent but still don't know which bigs will show up to play consistently. Or should we go small with JJJ at the 4 when he is healthy. And JJJ can be frustratingly inconsistent. With JJJ out, we had some guys step up that seemed to defer to others when JJJ and Phillips are out there. Barnes has a luxury of playing different lineups depending on the teams we play but I think UT needs to find its best lineup and go with it.

Some of you people on here, respectfully, are absolute idiots. As someone posted above, Mashack didn’t score a point, but played 27 minutes. Why is that? Because he’s an unbelievable defender and flat out shut Bama down. Some of y’all need to wake up and realize theres a lot more to the game than offensive stats. If Mashack didn’t play in that game, we wouldnt have won. Period. His defense is spectacular. JJJ is incredibly valuable to. He can effectively cover every player, every position on the floor. Some of you fools need to realize there’s a lot more to the game than the offensive stat line.

He can cover 2-4. All five is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
He’s good at that midrange jumper. If he would accept that that’s his shot on offense, he’d be a much bigger help on that end. And when he’s hot from 3, he gives us that. When he’s off, he needs to accept that and stop shooting from 3.
Ditto!!!!!

We need to keep Mashach in starting lineup tomorrow. He's earned it.

Key and JJJ first off the bench with Aidoo starting also.

Against Ky my starting lineup would be

ZZ
Santi
Mashach
Plav
Aidoo

Bring ON at the under 16 min mark for Plav

Mashack playing in JJJ place, handling the ball well, and not shooting(knowing his limitations)all while playing shut down defense against one of the nation's best players was most likely an upgrade in a one game scenario. JJJ is a guy that can occasionally get hot and carry the team like the Auburn game. In most big games it's brick city. Now, that's not that it would be an upgrade in every game. Mashack is not consistent enough to play that way night in and night out. We need both guys playing and playing well moving forward. JJJ needs to find his mid range game and quit the 0-6ish 3 point games. If he does that his value goes from good to great.
Mashack is not the best ball handler, and he struggled with that Wednesday, but he defended well. Very well.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I actually agree with the OP and have been saying it since the end of last regular season and during this recent stretch. JJJ is terribly inconsistent on offense, mostly because he is never healthy and is a rhythm player. He rarely has had a chance in the last 2 years to string together several good games in a row and is most often in and out of the lineups throughout the season. However, because is such a good leader, glue guy, and defender, when he is able to play he will play huge minutes. All the other players defer to him when we need buckets, but he simply has not been able to deliver consistently. It contributes to the long droughts on offense. I also think OKN brings the same problem on offense (without as good of defense). His inconsistency creates major problems for our offense. The team wants to depend on JJJ and OKN as our veteran leaders in crunch time on offense, but both guys have really struggled in that role with super highs and crazy lows. That is part of the reason IMO, the lineup against Bama worked well. OKN didn't not play a ton and JJJ was out. Now, I would also offer, that I think both of those guys are great players, great humans, and VFLs. I still think we need them to win big this year. I just don't think we need them in their current roles. Reduced minutes for both, never play them together, and reduced roles in the offensive game plan.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Its true. He hucks up a lot of 3s and mid range shots. Can’t drive it to the rim. Great defender and “glue guy”. But JJJ is better when he’s on the bench.

Against Vanderbilt he had 28 minutes of play went 1-7, 2 pts, 5 brds and a steal. Not great minutes for our senior 5*.

Against Florida he had 29 minutes of play and went 2-11. Finishing with 4 pts, 7 rebounds and an assist.

James is an elite defender and solid rebounder.

He just needs to concentrate on improving his mid range game because that will help him get a roster spot overseas.

I thought he did a good job. He actually dribbled through traffic a few times and really surprised me.
He’s got the highest turnover % in the 9-10 rotation. Was a bit shaky with the ball Wednesday, but he will get better as he gets more experience.

Reactions: EasternVol

Are you ok? You are usually a more reasonable poster than this. Based on this approach, an argument could be made that ALL of our players should be benched.

Reactions: omghulkhands

If you define "occasionally" as the final 16 games of last season when we would not have won the SEC tourney had it not been for JJJ who statistically was our undeniable MVP on offense and defense.

It really blows my mind how much criticism JJJ gets on this board for being our best all-around defender (Mashack is getting close), our best rebounding guard, and someone who can score from all 3 levels.

Edit: And I didn't even mention what he brings as a leader to this team which is having one of our best seasons in the history of our program

Last edited:
I think this whole thread could be related to the Football go too. The backup QB is always wanted by the legions.

VN Store

Back