JJJ hurts us on offense and its apparent when he’s gone

If you define "occasionally" as the final 16 games of last season when we would not have won the SEC tourney had it not been for JJJ who statistically was our undeniable MVP on offense and defense.
He hasn't been the same guy this year. He has shown flashes of it. Injuries have took it's toll.

If you define "occasionally" as the final 16 games of last season when we would not have won the SEC tourney had it not been for JJJ who statistically was our undeniable MVP on offense and defense.
I really thought he would ride that into an All-SEC year this year but injuries derailed him before the season got going.

Reactions: walkenvol
He hasn't been the same guy this year. He has shown flashes of it. Injuries have took it's toll.

Agreed...no doubt injuries have plagued most of his career. JJJ imo is a guy who has to have reps to get his stroke going and build his confidence and I'm sure the knee issue and now the ankle has prevented him from doing that.

I really thought he would ride that into an All-SEC year this year but injuries derailed him before the season got going.

I did too...he started the season fairly well but then it came off the rails quickly. Sad to see but maybe he can somehow regain his 3-pt form over the next few wks (longshot I know with limited practice time due to the ankle).

Reactions: hUTch2002
I did too...he started the season fairly well but then it came off the rails quickly. Sad to see but maybe he can somehow regain his 3-pt form over the next few wks (longshot I know with limited practice time due to the ankle).
I actually think he’s better shooting mid-range jumpers and going to the basket. He’s one of the only ones that go create his own shot when needed. I wouldn’t mind him taking some 3s but, and this is the whole team, he takes too many that aren’t good shots. Like most on the team, he can shoot pretty well when he’s taking shots in rhythm off a pass after the ball penetrates the arc. When we pass it around the perimeter and jack a 3 it’s usually miss and that’s everyone, not just James. I hate it because when we move and move the ball on offense it’s so pretty and we get great shots. When we don’t it’s ugly.

Historically this is one of our better teams at UT … didn’t say best. But they are so hard to watch and even though they just made the number 1 team look extremely bad and it felt like we beat the by 20, I predicted that KY would make us look equally as bad. I’ve been a season ticket owner for almost 2 decades so I am very invested. It’s a weird year and I usually don’t feel this way even during the down years, but I feel at times that I will be glad when this season is over. I will be glad when all these seniors are gone except Santi. The rest are hard for me to watch and to me they have been a disappointment. That especially includes JJJ.

I will continue to support them through out this year and tournament. But unfortunately this is how I feel about this team.

Reactions: Vols8086 and CAVPUT
Historically this is one of our better teams at UT … didn’t say best. But they are so hard to watch and even though they just made the number 1 team look extremely bad and it felt like we beat the by 20, I predicted that KY would make us look equally as bad. I’ve been a season ticket owner for almost 2 decades so I am very invested. It’s a weird year and I usually don’t feel this way even during the down years, but I feel at times that I will be glad when this season is over. I will be glad when all these seniors are gone except Santi. The rest are hard for me to watch and to me they have been a disappointment. That especially includes JJJ.

I will continue to support them through out this year and tournament. But unfortunately this is how I feel about this team.
Reasonable stance IMO and one I share. This bunch has given us a lot and it's appreciated, but like you, I'm ready to turn the page on this roster. Might be whistling a different tune next season, but I've seen enough of this group. For better or worse, I'm ready to see fresh blood on the court.

Reactions: Vols8086
Reasonable stance IMO and one I share. This bunch has given us a lot and it's appreciated, but like you, I'm ready to turn the page on this roster. Might be whistling a different tune next season, but I've seen enough of this group. For better or worse, I'm ready to see fresh blood on the court.

Could be one of those deals where you take a step back to take two steps forward. I'm ready to move on with this next class plus Freshman and Sophmores left over. Might not be great results next year but it's time for a roster cleansing. There is no reason for upper classman to be this inconsistent. Maybe they will surprise us with a postseason run this year but I don't expect it.

JJJ is a lighten rod on this forum. Extremely overrated by some and extremely underrated by others. Needless to say the truth is in the middle. He is a good solid 4 year college player. Nothing wrong with that.

James is an elite defender and solid rebounder.

He just needs to concentrate on improving his mid range game because that will help him get a roster spot overseas.
He is an elite defender, solid shooter, and an incredible teammate. Love him but he needs to take his 6’6” superhero physique and ATTACK THE RIM! The reason he’s inconsistent at a scorer is because he can’t/won’t/doesn’t draw many fouls. It’s mind boggling to me… I’m gonna guess that in the last 40yrs he’s the best player Vols have had while shooting the fewest FT’s. Robert Hubbs comes to mind but I think he shot more.

Reactions: Volfan1000

Not to discount your terrible suffering as a fan disappointed by a kid whose growth has been limited again and again by injuries, but perhaps the disappointment that JJJ feels might be bigger. Interestingly he’s shown up for thousands of hours of practice and a hundred games to entertain people who’ve written him off due to their “disappointment”. He continues to be a great teammate and leader and has never taken an action that has hurt the team or embarrassed the fans. He’s been a great example of hard work in the face of adversity, and dedication to team. So many of you complain about one and done five star kids with mercenary attitudes. He’s the polar opposite. I’m rooting for this season to give him the return he deserves from everything he’s given to us, but it may not. But more importantly, Woes you…

Not to discount your terrible suffering as a fan disappointed by a kid whose growth has been limited again and again by injuries, but perhaps the disappointment that JJJ feels might be bigger. Interestingly he’s shown up for thousands of hours of practice and a hundred games to entertain people who’ve written him off due to their “disappointment”. He continues to be a great teammate and leader and has never taken an action that has hurt the team or embarrassed the fans. He’s been a great example of hard work in the face of adversity, and dedication to team. So many of you complain about one and done five star kids with mercenary attitudes. He’s the polar opposite. I’m rooting for this season to give him the return he deserves from everything he’s given to us, but it may not. But more importantly, Woes you…

It's amazing how arguably our most important player for the last couple of seasons doesn't get more love on here for all of his contributions to the program both on and off the court...mind blowing. The irony is some of these "fans" are far bigger disappointments than JJJ will ever be to our basketball program.

He is an elite defender, solid shooter, and an incredible teammate. Love him but he needs to take his 6’6” superhero physique and ATTACK THE RIM! The reason he’s inconsistent at a scorer is because he can’t/won’t/doesn’t draw many fouls. It’s mind boggling to me… I’m gonna guess that in the last 40yrs he’s the best player Vols have had while shooting the fewest FT’s. Robert Hubbs comes to mind but I think he shot more.
And injury prone. Tarzan/Jane analogy leaps to mind. He may shock us all and blow up in the NBA, but at this point, I feel more confident thinking he is who and what he is.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
He’s good at that midrange jumper. If he would accept that that’s his shot on offense, he’d be a much bigger help on that end. And when he’s hot from 3, he gives us that. When he’s off, he needs to accept that and stop shooting from 3.

absolutly very good on mid range jumper. Totaly agree with you on all of it.

Reactions: Pennheel
It’s always funny to me and ignorable when felliwposters take shots . A lot of us have been around a long time and really don’t give a dam to be honest. That said if Freak or GAVOL jump your a__ you probably deserved it other than them who cares. All I know the team functions a lot better with everyone healthy. We have a hood team I just wanna see the team that beat Gonzaga Kansas etc show it’s face on permanent basis and win it all.GBO.

It’s always funny to me and ignorable when felliwposters take shots . A lot of us have been around a long time and really don’t give a dam to be honest. That said if Freak or GAVOL jump your a__ you probably deserved it other than them who cares. All I know the team functions a lot better with everyone healthy. We have a hood team I just wanna see the team that beat Gonzaga Kansas etc show its face on permanent basis and win it all.GBO.

Here’s to winning it all on a permanent basis.

We need James and Phillips back and soon. Both are athletic and can score and rebound. Without James and Phillips on the floor we aren’t that athletic. Both of them bring a different element to our offense and defense. It makes us a much different team to match up with when we have both of them. They impact defense greatly as well. GBO

Reactions: Pennheel
absolutly very good on mid range jumper. Totaly agree with you on all of it.

No doubt about it. He's one of the best I've seen in awhile shooting from mid range. It really is a lost art. It's something this team could learn from instead of settling so much from outside. Tonight,it was so frustrating to watch them take so many poor shots from three. As far as the thread, it certainly hasn't aged well. I don't see them losing tonight with him,and the Kentucky game is much closer either way. It's sad that he is so injury prone.

Without Phillips and James we are really lacking athleticism. Both James and Phillips are mud range slashers that can take you off the dribble inside or pull up at the mid range. They can also step back when needed and hit a 3. The rest of our team is predominantly inside or way outside. ON is not consist enough to be a outside player, but James and Phillips help create better shots and make us a lot harder to defend.

Reactions: Lankykong
Without Phillips and James we are really lacking athleticism. Both James and Phillips are mud range slashers that can take you off the dribble inside or pull up at the mid range. They can also step back when needed and hit a 3. The rest of our team is predominantly inside or way outside. ON is not consist enough to be a outside player, but James and Phillips help create better shots and make us a lot harder to defend.
Never really thought of JJJ as a "slasher". Maybe he did it all when I wasn't looking? Saw it in Phillips, but he's not quite under control and usually comes away with a charging call. Regardless, neither is much when they're on the bench. Season is circling the drain while they sit and watch so at this point, I'll ride with the guys out there busting their butts to try and salvage something of this year.

Never really thought of JJJ as a "slasher". Maybe he did it all when I wasn't looking? Saw it in Phillips, but he's not quite under control and usually comes away with a charging call. Regardless, neither is much when they're on the bench. Season is circling the drain while they sit and watch so at this point, I'll ride with the guys out there busting their butts to try and salvage something of this year.

J is much better as slashing. Imo he doesnt do this enough and settles for 3s. he and phillips need to be utilized as mid range shooters and cuts to the basket,

VN Store

Back