Jim Tressel (merged)

No it doesn't. He would still have to sit out of all practices, games, meetings...everything, for his five first weeks of the season, and he couldn't recruit.

Not going to happen, and it certainly isn't a "deal".

I swear, this Tressel nonsense is just about the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site, and that is saying a bunch.
5 games/weeks of sitting out, is a small price to pay to get a coach that otherwise would be impossible to hire away from OSU. 3 NC appearances in the last decade and won one of those. Dominated his conference for the greater part of that time.

I understand it doesn't "look good" on the surface. But it's a very light penalty considering what we would get in return. Plus, his salary would be well below what we would have to pay if this had not occured. Think about it. Remove the whole NCAA business, and imagine stealing the Big Ten's best coach away. It would take 4.5-5mill to do so. We could likely get him at 2.5-3mill/yr and his first year would be basically half that. This means the AD could invest that extra $2mill into an allstar staff.

I'm big on trying to find a good deal when the opportunity arises. A big name OC or DC could easily handle coaching duties during the 5 games, plus any team that would hire him would be expected to ask the NCAA to reduce the penalty. Since he's been known as a high character guy before this, has been out for a year, and with extra accountability measures already imposed by the program because of Bruce Pearl....it's quite probable they would

Last edited:
We'll just have to agree to disagree. He won in a week conference where he didn't even have to play a conference championship game. His last four recruiting classes averaged 8th so he supposedly had talent yet no Tressel coached team could touch the SEC even with weeks to prepare. Not the guy I want to see them go after.
Again...you're basing your view on nonsense. His last appearance in a BCS bowl with an SEC team, he won. Over a highly regarded Ark team with Ryan Mallet as their QB. He won an NC, and lost to two outstanding SEC teams (LSU and UF was ranked in the Top 5 recruiting regularly...so, even with a No.8 class, that still falls short of the talent those teams had.). Bama lost to LSU last year (yet turned around and still managed to win the NC). So, by your logic, Saban just sucks.

So, it's silliness to base his merit on two NC losses to SEC teams. Sorry to be harsh, but that's just stupidity talking.

The Committee on Infractions signed off on the self imposed probation, plain and simple jackass.

Whether it was initially self imposed or not, the NCAA currently views the UTAD as being on probation through 2013.

Any coach that thinks the punt is the most important play in football is going to have a hard time energizing a fan base direly in need of it. The only time he managed to win head to head against the SEC was against Arkasas, his teams wilted against LSU and Bama on the big stage.

Now, run along and knit a sweater vest.
It doesn't matter what the NCAA signed off on, dumba$$. They were not the ones to impose them. We are not on THEIR probation. We imposed our own internal "probation"...whatever that entails. Those measures are one reason why we could actually get Tressel's penalty reduced. They show a higher degree of internal accountability, which ANY coach here would be subject to.

Two losses to better SEC teams in the NC doesn't negate his winning record. Both teams had been recruiting top 5 classes each year, during that period. Not surprising then that they would prevail. But it's nonsense to think those two games diminish his credentials as a HC. Meyer's Utah team couldn't beat an SEC champion, so why would Florida even consider him? :loco:

No sense in arguing with idiots who would base their opinion on two NC games. Just getting there is a big achievement, in case you haven't noticed, Rain Man.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying, but that doesn't matter to me. I wasn't overly impressed with Tressel during the good times at Ohio State personally. But you have some valid points. If I have a say, then I say next.

If the show cause means so little, why aren't people lining up to hire him as a coach?
Who says they won't? Nobody would want to initially, but you can believe some AD's are looking closely at this. It's not like he's one of these "Up N Comers." He's well established as one of the best in the past decade or so.

Charlie Strong:
1-2 in bowl games
22-13 HC record and boast of race being an issue in the hiring process. No thx on this one too. NEXT
There's no denying that he turned that program around. Hard to recruit to, yet he's done a remarkable job, nevertheless. Successful DC in the SEC for a number of years...so, he'd fall into the up and comer category...but the best among them, IMHO.

It doesn't matter what the NCAA signed off on, dumba$$. They were not the ones to impose them. We are not on THEIR probation. We imposed our own internal "probation"...whatever that entails. Those measures are one reason why we could actually get Tressel's penalty reduced. They show a higher degree of internal accountability, which ANY coach here would be subject to.

Two losses to better SEC teams in the NC doesn't negate his winning record. Both teams had been recruiting top 5 classes each year, during that period. Not surprising then that they would prevail. But it's nonsense to think those two games diminish his credentials as a HC. Meyer's Utah team couldn't beat an SEC champion, so why would Florida even consider him? :loco:

No sense in arguing with idiots who would base their opinion on two NC games. Just getting there is a big achievement, in case you haven't noticed, Rain Man.

Having to rely on personal insults almost always means you're winning an argument. I guess we should try calling you names and accusing you of having a mental disorder. Then you would see the error in your logic.

Reactions: 1 person
There's no denying that he turned that program around. Hard to recruit to, yet he's done a remarkable job, nevertheless. Successful DC in the SEC for a number of years...so, he'd fall into the up and comer category...but the best among them, IMHO.

It could be a good hire but he's like 4 or 5 on my list. i agree with you.

Reactions: 1 person
Again...you're basing your view on nonsense. His last appearance in a BCS bowl with an SEC team, he won. Over a highly regarded Ark team with Ryan Mallet as their QB. He won an NC, and lost to two outstanding SEC teams (LSU and UF was ranked in the Top 5 recruiting regularly...so, even with a No.8 class, that still falls short of the talent those teams had.). Bama lost to LSU last year (yet turned around and still managed to win the NC). So, by your logic, Saban just sucks.

So, it's silliness to base his merit on two NC losses to SEC teams. Sorry to be harsh, but that's just stupidity talking.

Look man, Ive tried to explain this as nice as I know how but in my opinion your view is based on nonsense. In the same years Fl and LSU recruiting average was 4 and 6 which is well within the margin of error so talent was pretty much a wash. Two of the top SEC teams battling it out is no comparison to OS. Ill give you Ark, so with comparable talent during his tenure he managed to win one game with an SEC opponent with weeks to prepare. I doubt he wants any part of going up against these teams every week. it amazes me a TN fan would want the sweater vest in Knoxville. I do agree with your last sentence though, your stupidity is talking.

Who says they won't? Nobody would want to initially, but you can believe some AD's are looking closely at this. It's not like he's one of these "Up N Comers." He's well established as one of the best in the past decade or so.

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure Todd Bozeman is the only coach to be hired after a show cause. There is a reason it is considered a death knell for a career.

Maybe I am just sick of being frustrated with this program and now it is finally spilling over to the fans. But I am to the point where I am going to start ignoring thread and posters based on the level of stupidity involved with each. This thread and the Nick Saban thread seem like good starting points. Sheesh.

It's usually the biggest idiot on a board who just loves to throw that term idiot around.

You said "Pretty sure the NCAA found no fault either in the UT AD or Kiffin. Can't believe how much dis-information goes on in these boards.".

I give you a link to an article refuting that.

You argue that and start with the insults.

And yes, it does "kind of" matter what the COI put in it's Public Infractions Report that went on record.

And yes, it IS the NCAA that considers us on probation. It's not like the UTAD can just lift that whenever it feels like it.

University of Tennesee Public Infractions Report - NCAA.com

Like I said, Google is easy enough to use.

Get over yourself for just a minute and realize that it's possible that you're wrong. A little humility could do someone like yourself some good.

And please, give it a rest on this Tressel nonsense.

He isn't going to be hired at any major university as a coach until that show cause is lifted. He is also on record as an admitted liar and any program he recruits against would use that against him and his staff at every turn. His style of coaching is becoming a thing of the past as well.

He isn't getting a job at UT so it's pointless discussing it any further.

Now, get back to knitting that vest.

Reactions: 3 people
It's usually the biggest idiot on a board who just loves to throw that term idiot around.

You said "Pretty sure the NCAA found no fault either in the UT AD or Kiffin. Can't believe how much dis-information goes on in these boards.".

I give you a link to an article refuting that.

You argue that and start with the insults.

And yes, it does "kind of" matter what the COI put in it's Public Infractions Report that went on record.

And yes, it IS the NCAA that considers us on probation. It's not like the UTAD can just lift that whenever it feels like it.

University of Tennesee Public Infractions Report - NCAA.com

Like I said, Google is easy enough to use.

Get over yourself for just a minute and realize that it's possible that you're wrong. A little humility could do someone like yourself some good.

And please, give it a rest on this Tressel nonsense.

He isn't going to be hired at any major university as a coach until that show cause is lifted. He is also on record as an admitted liar and any program he recruits against would use that against him and his staff at every turn. His style of coaching is becoming a thing of the past as well.

He isn't getting a job at UT so it's pointless discussing it any further.

Now, get back to knitting that vest.
The NCAA imposed no sanctions on us. What part of that is beyond your comprehension? In a show cause, it may normally blackball a coach, but from what I gathered in that article, the COI imposed a rather light penalty...and one that could be easy enough for a program to absorb.

The AD would have to meet with the NCAA to ask that the show cause penalty be removed or reduced or they would simply notify (along with Tressel) that they agree to conform to the penalties.

Tressel already underwent the penalty last year (didn't have to) with the Colts, as a gameday consultant (clever term for assistant coach). He sat out 6 games voluntarily, even though the show cause only falls under the NCAA's realm of jurisdiction....College.

Therefore, the AD can simply point to that and their own internal accountability measures (resulting from Bruce Pearls predicament) as reasons to reduce the Show cause penalty.

So, in this case, it's not an effective ban. It's a black eye, and just as those take a while to heal, so too will his status as a legit prospect heal.

I don't think what he did was all that bad. They obviously agreed to some extent because his penalty isn't nearly as bad as Bruce Pearl's.

Having to rely on personal insults almost always means you're winning an argument. I guess we should try calling you names and accusing you of having a mental disorder. Then you would see the error in your logic.
It is utter stupidity to claim that a coach WHO GOT TO A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 3 times in the past decade, can't coach. That's about as smart as saying Lovie Smith isn't qualified to coach the Titans because he lost a Superbowl to our division rival...in a Superbowl. :loco: Stupid is as Stupid does.

I don't see the University of Tennessee hiring Jim Tressel at any point whatsoever....ever
UT won't take on his previous baggage

Tennessee fired a coach for lying to the NCAA. Show cause penalty

Ohio State fired a coach for lying to the NCAA. Show cause penalty

If Tennessee then turned around and hired the Ohio State coach, the NCAA WOULD HAMMER US for breaking wind in the wrong direction.

I firmly believe the NCAA took it easy on us in light of the way Kiffin left. We imposed our own sanctions so THEY would not impose THEIRS!!!!!!!

Before reading my post, try and take a few moments to read this article:
Jim Tressel could get hired after*flimsy NCAA show-cause penalty - Andy Staples - SI.com

I still say that Tressel might be the right guy and an absolute STEAL. I like Charlie Strong too and I think he could recruit with the best of 'em in the SEC, but with Tressel, his (and OSU's) loss...in regards to the NCAA trouble he got into...could be our gain.

Had he not gotten into that trouble, he'd still be coaching OSU right now...still a thorn in the side of Michigan and Penn State every year, and still one of the most successful College coaches today. I mean, record and recruiting wise, he's in the same conversation as Saban, Meyer and Stoops.

We'd only have to have him sit for 5 games, in order to get him. A 5 year NCAA Show Cause is NOT a coaching ban. It is simply a way to prevent a coach from dodging penalties he'd have to pay if he stayed put.

First of all...I think it's the rest of the Big 10 fanbase making much to do about absolutely NOTHING. Just like Bruce Pearl having a recruit over for a barbeque. Big freakin whoop. It was simply a matter of him trying to cover it up...why? Because they didn't want the NCAA trying to overblow the whole thing. I'm not condoning either coaches handling. But I do think the NCAA has a way of trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure he felt his players didn't deserve to get raked across the coals for something little like that.

Of course opposing fanbases are going to raise a big fuss. They want some relief from being terrorized by the guy every year. The NCAA is punishing him and OSU for him not putting the Hammer down on some of his players selling some of their stuff.

How in the hell is that even something to be penalized over? And no wonder he wanted to keep the NCAA out of their business. It's none of their damned business in the first place.I don't give a rat's behind if Terrell Pryor sells his jersey or not. So, IMHO, it's not something I think an AD should be concerned about. The guy paid/is paying their stupid freaking penalty, and I'm sure he'd not be inclined to do anything like it again.

But if Gruden is out of the question, Tressel would be a steal. He'd take considerably less than what he was making at OSU (especially if the AD can't get the NCAA to reduce the penalty down from 5 games...maybe 5 non-conference games instead of the first 5 of the season?), and that could help a great deal in getting the absolute best staff possible, while making Dooley's buyout easier to swallow.

Hey stupid. Don't be stupid, stupid.

:shhh:

Reactions: 2 people
The NCAA imposed no sanctions on us. What part of that is beyond your comprehension? In a show cause, it may normally blackball a coach, but from what I gathered in that article, the COI imposed a rather light penalty...and one that could be easy enough for a program to absorb.

The AD would have to meet with the NCAA to ask that the show cause penalty be removed or reduced or they would simply notify (along with Tressel) that they agree to conform to the penalties.

Tressel already underwent the penalty last year (didn't have to) with the Colts, as a gameday consultant (clever term for assistant coach). He sat out 6 games voluntarily, even though the show cause only falls under the NCAA's realm of jurisdiction....College.

Therefore, the AD can simply point to that and their own internal accountability measures (resulting from Bruce Pearls predicament) as reasons to reduce the Show cause penalty.

So, in this case, it's not an effective ban. It's a black eye, and just as those take a while to heal, so too will his status as a legit prospect heal.

I don't think what he did was all that bad. They obviously agreed to some extent because his penalty isn't nearly as bad as Bruce Pearl's.

You are either incredibly dense or a master troll.

I am leaning heavily towards the former and not wasting any more time trying to bring you up to speed.

The NCAA did impose sanctions on the UTAD and it is irrefutable. It's linked in my last post.

And again, Tressel would be an incredibly stupid hire for a program under NCAA probation with one former coach and assistants under Show Cause penalties already.

Good luck with that sweater vest.

So hire a coach who improves our record marginally but isn't capable of being SEC elite? Doesn't sound like common sense to me.

Nothing you say is based on any fact what so ever.. It simply comes from you're dislike of the man.. You make it sound like Tressel would be a lateral move from Dooley which is hilarious..

I'm not saying we should hire Tressel.. I think maybe the negatives probably out weigh the positives but to even think for a minute Tressel would not be a HUGE upgrade in coaching ability compared to Dooley is frankly sheer ignorance..

A quality which seems to run rampant around here ..

VN Store

Back