JG Performance Opinion Poll

How would Jake Fromm have performed as the UT QB if he came in for QD mid season?

• Total voters
You left off the option that most would have picked:

* Who cares, this poll is stupid

Well seeing as it has 10 votes so far, it's more than one of your choices and tied with another.

Word to the wise, if you don't want to catch flak, don't fly the airplane.

Before people write JG off one of the things the youngster did NOT do which typically mediocre to poor inexperienced QBs do is throw a lot of INTs. I expect to see a lot of growth out of him now that he has the experience of playing in the SEC quite a bit. The issue once again will be can Pruitt field an OL that can keep a QB clean in the pocket for 4 seconds during passing downs? If he can't will he able to adjust his offense to throw on the run and rollout much of the time? The previous coaching staff struggled to get the ball to and beyond the LOS even at the 4 second mark. Keeping the ball behind the LOS for long periods no matter running or passing plays requires a very good OL and we have not seen one of those on The Hill in years.

Give JG an OL that can protect him longer than "one mississip", and now he apparently won't have to worry about RPO....it's just hand the ball off or complete a pass...I think he'll progress very well with new staff.

Just curious. What's the poll numbers? I can't vote. There's no selection box for "This is too stupid for words even if it is off season".

Reactions: 1 person
That was some valuable experience for him last season.

I recall Urban Meyer after Ohio St.'s impressive bowl game win last season saying the secret to their success on defense was getting to the quarterback before he had any time to set his feet.

QB JG ate the sack on a lot of plays for that very reason. When he had time to get set and pass, he looked good and showed promise as a field general.

He just needs to be set up for success. Create positions and opportunities for him to win with enough time to make quick decisions.

Yeah, I honestly would have liked to see him throw it away instead of taking the sack on some plays, but what can you do? Create a drill where he practices getting set for the pass before the ball is snapped? That's not realistic.

It's possibly a combination of the team working together with the OL giving him enough time to get set and the QB passing with a quicker release. If there are improvements in both of those areas (pass protection and quicker release) then the offense could show us something really special this season.

JG is not the answer. He isn’t terrible but he isn’t good. He is as average as it gets. Accuracy is questionable and lacks athleticism. I will say this though. If A receiver holds on to the TD as time expires he wins two more games.

Reactions: 2 people
JG is not the answer. He isn’t terrible but he isn’t good. He is as average as it gets. Accuracy is questionable and lacks athleticism. I will say this though. If A receiver holds on to the TD as time expires he wins two more games.

If receivers do not make tough catches for a quarterback, there is a leadership problem somewhere.

Maybe they feel like he was anointed and did not earn it?

Real competition, where roles are visibly earned, might get those passes caught. Perceived favoratism produces bad conference records, but helps you bribe students to come to your school.

I hope that Pruitt's hyper competitive nature does not lead him down the butch road to good recruiting classes.

If receivers do not make tough catches for a quarterback, there is a leadership problem somewhere.

Maybe they feel like he was anointed and did not earn it?

Real competition, where roles are visibly earned, might get those passes caught. Perceived favoratism produces bad conference records, but helps you bribe students to come to your school.

I hope that Pruitt's hyper competitive nature does not lead him down the butch road to good recruiting classes.
Do you really think our WRs as the ball was hitting their hands, said "nah, I'm going to drop this pass because JG didn't earn this start"? In the moment, players make plays regardless of who is throwing the ball. The problem wasn't leadership or anointment, it was a lack of development, preparation and mental toughness.

We will see with coaching, but we can say that about the whole team no coaching sense they all have been here except for the RB's.

Just curious. What's the poll numbers? I can't vote. There's no selection box for "This is too stupid for words even if it is off season".

Not J G s fault but the fans have hyped him up solo much that the expectations of him were not realistic
So when he played and did not play to the level of All American, as he was hyped to be, he became a disappointment

I think these questions will provide a comparative analysis that should really get to the truth of the fan base's faith in JG as the UT QB in 2018.

I am always amazed at how negative the posts are about him, but my guess is that it's less than 20% of the base making up 80% of the posts.

Including the Missouri game where Josh Dobbs was sacked 5 or more times,

What is the Total # of QB Sacks, on Tennessee QB's, during Butch Jones' 5 Years as Head Coach?

JG is garbage.

JG had to deal with the worst coaching staff ever assembled last year, and was never fully backed by the coaching staff and the team fell apart because of coaching.

How about let Helton who is a great QB coach, help this kid before we judge him.

Keep in mind Butch didn't even believe in doing 7-7!!!

Hard to get good QB play when you don't even practice with you're wide recivers

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Fromm and JG just yet. I do think JG held the ball too long quite a few times and took some unnecessary sacks, but that can remedied. Fromm and Tua are the best QB’s in the SEC right now and that is not good news for us. They are both outstanding.

O cool. Another sad poster who spends his day reading threads he thinks are stupid and posts on them.

If you aren't interested in peoples opinions of JG, then why are you wasting your time? No job? No life?

It was honestly just a terrible way to take a poll. Why tf is Fromm's name even mentioned? The two are completely different players, so comparing them in any way is stupid, regardless of circumstance.

If you want to poll people's opinions of JG, just ask them straight up. Options should read something along the lines of "Promising", "Question Mark", "Talented; but I have my doubts", and "Bust".

To that poll my answer would be "Question Mark".

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Fromm and JG just yet. I do think JG held the ball too long quite a few times and took some unnecessary sacks, but that can remedied. Fromm and Tua are the best QB’s in the SEC right now and that is not good news for us. They are both outstanding.

Fromm might not even start eventually for his team.

Better question, how would JG have done if he were playing for UGA? I seriously doubt he would take them to the ncg.

Reactions: 2 people
JG had to deal with the worst coaching staff ever assembled last year, and was never fully backed by the coaching staff and the team fell apart because of coaching.

How about let Helton who is a great QB coach, help this kid before we judge him.

Keep in mind Butch didn't even believe in doing 7-7!!!

Hard to get good QB play when you don't even practice with you're wide recivers

According to Butch, it was the nations best coaching staff

Better question, how would JG have done if he were playing for UGA? I seriously doubt he would take them to the ncg.

I think JG would have thrived at UGA and absolutely took them to the NCG. Again, some Vol fans just do not take into account how important a great surrounding cast is. Fromm had an elite defense, the best RB corps in the nation, a great OL and good WRs. Oh and lets not forget about top notch play calling. JG had literally NONE of that.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back