Jewell Loyd Declares for the WNBA Draft

I think the wnba needs a major revamp in the worst kind of way and they need to start by winning over fans who just watch wcbb. Here's one idea. It's way out there and never likely to see the light of day, but I'd love to see it. For example, you could take a handful of Tennessee lady vol stars who have already graduated and make a team from those players. You could have Parker, Catchings, Michelle snow, anosike, bobbitt, Strickland, Baugh, Cain, Simmons, and whoever else to finish out the roster..then do the same with the other wcbb teams who routinely put players in the wnba. You could field a team of uconn past stars, Stanford, nd Baylor and the list goes on and on. I think games like this would draw great crowds. Could you imagine watching a game between Catchings, Parker, holdsclaw and other past lady vol stars vs Moore, Taurasi and other past uconn stars??

For money purposes this would be good. Do something along the lines of the all-star break. Would be very entertaining to watch as well :)
But... it 's never going to happen. The wnba makes it's money in the playoffs (conf. finals and wnba finals) and all-star break, and a couple of marque match ups. I think if they look more at Women's College Basketball markets and start placing teams where the fan-based is already established. Oklahoma has a great women's college basketball fan base, and that's why I think they developed Tulsa.
Their are 12 wnba teams, and the avg. attendance for overall attendance is at 7500, and actually attendance is up from the last 2 years, only 2011 was higher.

The Connecticut Sun seems to try this strategy by hoarding former UConn players and I don't think that it's helped attendance.

I think bottom line is that the general public just isn't into women's pro basketball. It seems that even young girls would rather watch the men play then the women. I'm not convinced that the WNBA has a long life span, especially as players realize they are better off financially playing overseas.

Reactions: 1 person
I think this help Tennessee, one less hurdle to overcome during the tourney. Do you guys play ND during the regular season next year (OOC game)?

I think the wnba needs a major revamp in the worst kind of way and they need to start by winning over fans who just watch wcbb. Here's one idea. It's way out there and never likely to see the light of day, but I'd love to see it. For example, you could take a handful of Tennessee lady vol stars who have already graduated and make a team from those players. You could have Parker, Catchings, Michelle snow, anosike, bobbitt, Strickland, Baugh, Cain, Simmons, and whoever else to finish out the roster..then do the same with the other wcbb teams who routinely put players in the wnba. You could field a team of uconn past stars, Stanford, nd Baylor and the list goes on and on. I think games like this would draw great crowds. Could you imagine watching a game between Catchings, Parker, holdsclaw and other past lady vol stars vs Moore, Taurasi and other past uconn stars??

1) Can I be there when you tell the Sparks they lose Parker and in return can have some USC or UCLA players? Or when you tell Phoenix they lose Taurasi but get Briann January (ASU alum)? Or Minnesota when you take Maya Moore?

2) Can I be there when you explain to fanbases that their future depends on the recruiting and development of players by Holly? Although you'd be declared God in eyes of the Connecticut Sun fans when you explained how they get the benefit of Geno's recruiting and coaching.

As the league approaches 20 years of existence....

I'm talking from now looking forward.

The NBA after 20 years had significant attendance growth. The WNBA in the same time span has not.The Sparks averaged 8,900 fans per game in 1997. Last year, they averaged 9,870. After almost 20 years, that's an increase of about 10%. The Liberty averaged 13,270 their first year; last year, down to 7,190...nearly 50% down. But if you want to prove your point by referring to killer ticket sales, overflowing stadiums with fans and franchises able to profit without NBA money pumping in, be my guest.

I seriously am convinced you respond to posts just to be a d!ck. Or you're probably just a d!ck in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
But if you want to prove your point by referring to killer ticket sales, overflowing stadiums with fans and franchises able to profit without NBA money pumping in, be my guest.

Prove what point? I just said the WNBA has been around for almost 20 years.

I seriously am convinced you respond to posts just to be a d!ck. Or you're probably just a d!ck in general.

Seeing how the last person whose character you insulted was just named a torchbearer for the university, I'll take that as a compliment....

VN Store

Back