Jewell Loyd Declares for the WNBA Draft

Isn't there a 5 day "waiting" period involved, in case she has a change of mind, where she can withdraw her request to enter the WNBA draft ?

Isn't there a 5 day "waiting" period involved, in case she has a change of mind, where she can withdraw her request to enter the WNBA draft ?

Yes, she has five days to change her mind without losing her amateur status. It's actually not a bad move on her part. She can gauge what the interest is in her, both here and abroad, and determine if it's in her best interest to go ahead or come back to ND.

What do the highest paid WNBA players make?

I think the maximum is $105k per year, with a $35k base salary for rookies. Salaries are adjusted according to number of years in the league. After three, I think the base goes up to $50k.

It's pathetic actually.

I think the maximum is $105k per year, with a $35k base salary for rookies. Salaries are adjusted according to number of years in the league. After three, I think the base goes up to $50k.

It's pathetic actually.

It is. But for elite players the real $ is in Europe. Hence Candace and Diana Tarausi play in Russia and DT's Russian paid he to skip the WNBA season so she would be rested for the Euro-league.

Per another post, Lloyd coming out as an under classman is unusual for the women's game. If the trend were to catch on, it would definitely reshape the women's game. [I am not sure the financial incentives will be strong enough except for the most elite (and marketable) players].

Candace situation is quite different from Lloyd. CP3 had completed her four years and graduated. Rather than playing as a fifth senior, she wanted to graduate with her class and, of course, start earning income from endorsements and a professional career. The timing was perfect for her because the LA sparks (major media market) also had the top pick that year. It was a perfect time for her to go pro.

If Diamond stays on pace academically, she will be in a similar position at the end of two years. I doubt if she really can anticipate what her "stay or go" decision will be at that time. But I would enjoy these upcoming two years for sure because they are a lot of contingencies in play when it comes to suiting up as a fifth senior.

It is. But for elite players the real $ is in Europe. Hence Candace and Diana Tarausi play in Russia and DT's Russian paid he to skip the WNBA season so she would be rested for the Euro-league.

Per another post, Lloyd coming out as an under classman is unusual for the women's game. If the trend were to catch on, it would definitely reshape the women's game. [I am not sure the financial incentives will be strong enough except for the most elite (and marketable) players].

Candace situation is quite different from Lloyd. CP3 had completed her four years and graduated. Rather than playing as a fifth senior, she wanted to graduate with her class and, of course, start earning income from endorsements and a professional career. The timing was perfect for her because the LA sparks (major media market) also had the top pick that year. It was a perfect time for her to go pro.

If Diamond stays on pace academically, she will be in a similar position at the end of two years. I doubt if she really can anticipate what her "stay or go" decision will be at that time. But I would enjoy these upcoming two years for sure because they are a lot of contingencies in play when it comes to suiting up as a fifth senior.

Candace also wanted to play in the Olympics, and with them being in 2008, it was the perfect storm for her. She would have been the #1 pick, no matter if it was 2008 or 2009.

With Diamond, she has said that she has wanted to be at Tennessee for her entire life, and now that she is here, I don't see her leaving before she has to. With Te'a coming in, they could play three years together. She won't graduate in an Olympic year, will likely be the #1 pick in either 2017 or 2018, and isn't in a financial situation that would require her to make huge amounts of money. She has said she plans to stay and I think she will.

Reactions: 2 people
This isn't the same as Candace. Jewell hasn't graduated yet and doesn't have her degree from ND. She is fore-fitting her fourth year of eligibility. She is the first true underclassmen to declare for the WNBA early. Others have left early, but not straight to the WNBA.

Amanda Zahui did.

Amanda Zahui did.

Yes, but to me, her situation is different because she is a 22 year old sophomore, which is very rare. Had she come over from Sweden at 18, she would be a senior this year and would be eligible anyway.

IMO, Jewell is the first true underclassmen to declare early.

Candace also wanted to play in the Olympics, and with them being in 2008, it was the perfect storm for her. She would have been the #1 pick, no matter if it was 2008 or 2009.

With Diamond, she has said that she has wanted to be at Tennessee for her entire life, and now that she is here, I don't see her leaving before she has to. With Te'a coming in, they could play three years together. She won't graduate in an Olympic year, will likely be the #1 pick in either 2017 or 2018, and isn't in a financial situation that would require her to make huge amounts of money. She has said she plans to stay and I think she will.

Yes, Candace would have been the # 1 choice in either year but she probably would not have gone to LA had she waited a year. Playing in LA (particularly if you want to also develop a career in media) is a very different kind of opportunity than say playing in Minnesota or Indiana. [And Candace would have been on the Olympic team regardless of whether she went pro or not.]

That is why I said there are lots of contingencies that can enter into the decision when a player actually has to make the choice. But time will tell.

Yes, Candace would have been the # 1 choice in either year but she probably would not have gone to LA had she waited a year. Playing in LA (particularly if you want to also develop a career in media) is a very different kind of opportunity than say playing in Minnesota or Indiana. [And Candace would have been on the Olympic team regardless of whether she went pro or not.]

That is why I said there are lots of contingencies that can enter into the decision when a player actually has to make the choice. But time will tell.

Catchings & Maya Moore seem to be doing very well in those cities. Yes, LA was the perfect place for Candace in terms of media exposure. However, had she gone to another city, she probably would have had a better supporting cast surrounding her. I would have loved to see her play in Indiana with Catch. That's a 1-2 punch that only Minnesota could match.

Everyone has to make the decision that's best for them, but I personally think college basketball is way too special to forfeit eligibility. Although I understand it, I thought Candace made a mistake leaving, too. There's just more ticket sales, media coverage, and it just means more IMO in college. I'm glad there are opportunities overseas but here in the States, the WNBA is just not as exciting as college and financially, it's on par to any random job in America you could get with a degree.

I don't know that we would have won a National Championship had Candace stayed but I think they would have been pretty darn good and that entire Freshman group would have had the opportunity to learn from the best and not have so much pressure on them.

Everyone has to make the decision that's best for them, but I personally think college basketball is way too special to forfeit eligibility. Although I understand it, I thought Candace made a mistake leaving, too. There's just more ticket sales, media coverage, and it just means more IMO in college. I'm glad there are opportunities overseas but here in the States, the WNBA is just not as exciting as college and financially, it's on par to any random job in America you could get with a degree.

I don't know that we would have won a National Championship had Candace stayed but I think they would have been pretty darn good and that entire Freshman group would have had the opportunity to learn from the best and not have so much pressure on them.

Candace signed multi-million dollar endorsement deals with Adidas and Gatorade upon turning pro. Please point to the random job which offers that kind of compensation.

I find it hard to classify her decision to earn that kind of income and to become the "face of the WNBA" (and at the time, there were serious predictions that her star power would help jump start the league) a mistake.

Last edited:

It's pathetic actually.

It's not bad considering that the WNBA (after 18 years) still needs about $10 million per year in support from the NBA to remain financially solvent and that only 6 of the 12 teams reported a profit in 2013. It's ratings on ESPN and the attendance for it's games are what is pathetic. This league really shouldn't exist.

It's not bad considering that the WNBA (after 18 years) still needs about $10 million per year in support from the NBA to remain financially solvent and that only 6 of the 12 teams reported a profit in 2013. It's ratings on ESPN and the attendance for it's games are what is pathetic. This league really shouldn't exist.

I think it should exist. It just needs to be in markets smaller than NBA markets. Cities like Knoxville. Cincinnati. Maybe the smaller cities like Dayton. Sioux Falls. Or Omaha would be better because there are less attractions and it might bring some excitement to the game.

IMO, Jewell is the first true underclassmen to declare early.

Please check your facts. A player from Rutgers left early four or five years ago. I cannot recall her name (might have been E. Prince). I remember her saying she did it because her mother needed money. She left after three years without a degree.

Reactions: 1 person
Please check your facts. A player from Rutgers left early four or five years ago. I cannot recall her name (might have been E. Prince). I remember her saying she did it because her mother needed money. She left after three years without a degree.

My facts are in fact, facts. Prince left to play in Russia, she didn't go straight to the WNBA because she wasn't old enough. After her year away, she was drafted.

So, again, Loyd is the first true underclassmen to leave early.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the wnba needs a major revamp in the worst kind of way and they need to start by winning over fans who just watch wcbb. Here's one idea. It's way out there and never likely to see the light of day, but I'd love to see it. For example, you could take a handful of Tennessee lady vol stars who have already graduated and make a team from those players. You could have Parker, Catchings, Michelle snow, anosike, bobbitt, Strickland, Baugh, Cain, Simmons, and whoever else to finish out the roster..then do the same with the other wcbb teams who routinely put players in the wnba. You could field a team of uconn past stars, Stanford, nd Baylor and the list goes on and on. I think games like this would draw great crowds. Could you imagine watching a game between Catchings, Parker, holdsclaw and other past lady vol stars vs Moore, Taurasi and other past uconn stars??

This isn't the same as Candace. Jewell hasn't graduated yet and doesn't have her degree from ND. She is forfeiting her fourth year of eligibility. She is the first true underclassmen to declare for the WNBA early. Others have left early, but not straight to the WNBA.

I thought I read that she was 22 and graduating ... you are then correct raider

VN Store

Back