Je'Ron Stokes

This is fantastic news. What a great start to the 09 class. This kid along with hopefully Marlon Brown and some defenseive recruits, and we could have a chance to do something special.

ESPN Insider evaluation:

Stokes is a really good football player and not just as a wide receiver, but he could also end up being quite the safety/corner prospect on defense as well. He is an aggressive player with a high motor in everything that he does. Always seems to be going full speed. He has very good height and a wiry, solid build to add bulk and strength to. The thing that stands out about Stokes is his foot quickness. He is sudden and shifty with great feet that give him the appearance that he is faster than he really is. Is quick and explosive, but may not be a true burner however, speed is very good. He is capable of lining up in the slot as well as outside and shows very good zone awareness while in the slot. Knows how to find open holes, settle in soft spots and works the intermediate zones nicely. Versus man coverage his quickness and acceleration allow for separation and he is very explosive out of the break. Shows soft hands and plucks with ease on the move. Will make difficult catches in traffic, will go up and high point the ball and is a very good leaper. Is a vertical threat because of his ability to reach top speed so quickly. Appears to have some toughness about him as he works the middle of the field a lot in the slot. Has return upside and is used as a runner as well on reverses and such. Stokes is not challenged very often in press or bump coverage and generally has a free release so he is rarely held up at the line. He must improve as a route runner and not just rely on his quickness. Needs to learn alignment, to attack cushion etc. Stokes is very athletic and when he refines his skills he could become a very difficult guy to cover one-on-one at the next level.

Very nice! Scotty Hopson to Pearl, Stokes to Fulmer. Not too bad. Of course, I'm sure the UK fans are saying they didn't want Stokes, either, that he's lazy, couldn't make it in Coach Brooks' workouts, etc...

"It means a lot," Stokes said. "Tennessee is a great program. It's a powerhouse. I wanted to be the first one. With my status, I think I can help bring other players in."

I like this kids athleticism, talent, and personality. I think he is a well rounded individual.

Seems like Scott is having a nice impact thus far. If he can reel in one or two of these each year, we'll be set.

3.0 GPA too. Sounds like we wont have to worry about qualification. Solid kid all around.

This was posted on another site. I fully agee with it.

Posted by dburgVol on April 6, 2008 at 8:09 p.m.

Wow! This could not have played out any better. A young Christian man that loves Tennessee and wants to get started out right away recruiting. Great pickup, quality recruit, helps the moms and pops when they here from this type of young man. Exactly what we need. No more potheads. Go VOLS!!

Just saw his highlights. Great hands, pretty good speed. And from what I could tell the kid can get open too. I think this is a great pick up, he reminds me of Eric Parker

who was the coach that recruited him?
I listened to a bit of a call in show earlier where they got Stokes on the line and it seems that he goes to the church where Mark Jones dad is the pastor. He said he was influenced by Mark's expeirence at UTK amongst other things. He visited Knoxville in the past, last year maybe? He alss mentioned the WR coach being a man of God, and that being important to him.

VN Store

Back