Jeremy Pruitt Show

Would not destroy Pruitt's ego to dish out a little more praise for this team. I do not care who we are playing, any team that totally shuts out another team deserves at least a little praise. After all, the team we beat (without scoring a point) is getting a free college education. Anyone who has ever worked as an administrator is taught that it is extremely important to dish out a little praise along with ridicule !!!!!!!!!!
I haven't seen any ridicule from Pruitt, just an honest critique from a coach who I believe knows what it takes to win consistently. I would bet that during film study the players are being told when they do a good job, but also coached up about what they could have done better. New schemes will cause some inconsistency, but that's what happens during the growing pains.

Would not destroy Pruitt's ego to dish out a little more praise for this team. I do not care who we are playing, any team that totally shuts out another team deserves at least a little praise. After all, the team we beat (without scoring a point) is getting a free college education. Anyone who has ever worked as an administrator is taught that it is extremely important to dish out a little praise along with ridicule !!!!!!!!!!

Well, he most likely gives praise where it matters.

He doesn't care about the score, its about execution. If they win, but it's because of luck or a mistake on the opponent, we might have still done something wrong.

Hopefully, he gives feedback one on one or during film review and shows them when they do it right.

But, to be honest, out of every snap this season, I've only seen 4 or 5 total plays where all 11 players were all on the same page, executed correctly, didn't miss assignment, and worked together like a team.

You are only perfect when you are all perfect. Inversely, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Last edited:
It was better this week. He didn’t have to be prompted to talk. He sees the mistakes and points them out fast.

Defense held them to 80 yards on their last 11 drives. But, they got fortunate. A lot of blown coverages where UTEP QB either totally misssd the guy or they dropped the pass.

Offense shot itself in the foot numerous times. I still don’t think Banks fumbled. He looked down. I think if they stick with their best starting 5 on Oline we’ll start to see some improvement and consistency.
I still think Trey is better suited at guard.

Reactions: Behr
maybe the trophies haven’t came in yet? But seriously he doesn’t have to complement the team in front of the media and fans. He can do that at practice or in the film room and it have the same effect. Unless it would make you feel good to hear him pump sunshine.

Reactions: jbr82 and musolfmj
There have been numerous reports of Pruitt issuing major verbal blasts at players, then putting an arm around them later to encourage improvement. My guess is he criticizes 'em on TV while showing film that doesn't lie, then shows the love in private. It's his way. I think it's the right way.

Pretty much everything said about Pruitt by former players he coached is filled with rabid, devoted love - which may be easier to do when the man gets you to play in the NFL. I think his players know he is simply stating reality, "that was a blown play" "that fell apart because of this missed tackle" etc. Players know that too. The fact that he is able and willing to clearly outline it is refreshing. As a player trying to get out of a failure mindset, that would give me hope. "Coach has developed all stars before and he knows what is wrong here. If I listen to him, do what he tells me to do and put the work in, he can help me fix it." That is a whole lot better than "I dont really know what to do to be better than what I am. I am following the drills but no one tell me exactly what I should be doing instead. They just tell me to have a 5* heart and get leadership reps. Maybe I just suck."

Reactions: ksgovols
I’m probably wasting my time typing this but Pruitt is breaking the colts he’s not just interested in winning by cobbling together a team he wants to win the right way.

Players’ effort and execution has to reflect his philosophies and approach to create a culture of winning not just competing which is where we are now. Without that winning isn’t sustainable.

This is what most on this board don’t grasp. Pruitt’s objective isn’t to beat FL next week or anybody else if that requires taking shortcuts and doing things to undermine his long term vision. He will play it straight up his way bc that’s the way it needs to be done even if that means taking the L when he could have done something different just to win the game.

This is gonna drive most fans nuts bc they just take each game at a time and want to win no matter what. Even if the win today comes at the expense of the entire program long term bc they can’t see it.

Btw that’s the Jones philosophy in a nutshell: borrow today against your future until you become so overextended the entire structure collapses. Same approach gets applied to recruiting, media, and everything else. Do the immediate thing to look good today and save your as$ not the right thing to build the future. That’s why we’re in the mess we’re in today.

So for all who can’t see it there’s your answer to the difference between Pruitt and Jones. It’s not just W and L’s or star ranking of recruits. It’s getting the RIGHT recruits and achieving W’s —and L’s — the RIGHT way.

Gotta look beyond the W’s and L’s to the bigger picture. Takes a big set to do this as fans after what we’ve been through and an even bigger set to do this as hc.

Pruitt’s approach is the championship path. We’ll know for sure in year 3 if he’s the right guy. Until then I’m standing with coach even when it gets ugly this year. And it will count on that.
Totally agree. Jones replaced our rotten culture with a sugar high. Pruitt wants this team to feed on good nutrition that is sustainable.

This was the worst team in the 100 plus year history of the program last year. This is CJP's team now . As fans , most of us wear offended . He inherited this mess. As a football guy , it is a good sign that he says the cup is half empty
Personally I think his honest take and no holds barred comments are a breath of fresh air.

Hoping one of our VN.com coaches can explain some terminology to me.

While discussing the chop block penalty play in the 1st quarter, Jeremy said, "we declared the Mike, and got confusion on who we declared the Mike; there's no reason for that."

The Mike I know is short for middle linebacker. So does it mean the same here, or something else, and either wway, what's Jeremy saying about the confusion our lads had?

Thanks in advance!

I heard him praise a number of players in a variety of ways. His assessments seemed pretty balanced to me.

Pretty much everything said about Pruitt by former players he coached is filled with rabid, devoted love - which may be easier to do when the man gets you to play in the NFL. I think his players know he is simply stating reality, "that was a blown play" "that fell apart because of this missed tackle" etc. Players know that too. The fact that he is able and willing to clearly outline it is refreshing. As a player trying to get out of a failure mindset, that would give me hope. "Coach has developed all stars before and he knows what is wrong here. If I listen to him, do what he tells me to do and put the work in, he can help me fix it." That is a whole lot better than "I dont really know what to do to be better than what I am. I am following the drills but no one tell me exactly what I should be doing instead. They just tell me to have a 5* heart and get leadership reps. Maybe I just suck."
He might be a crazy person, but given how opinionated and volatile he seems to be, it might be worth noting that Jalen Ramsey said he loved Pruitt. He even said that if Pruitt was at Tennessee when he was coming out of high school he "maybe would have made a different decision." If Pruitt ever did anything he didn't like, I'm assuming he wouldn't have held back (like what he said about Jimbo).

I don't watch the coach's show, but I thought Pruitt seemed a little more energetic and animated in the press conference after UTEP. In most of his press conferences and after the ETSU game in particular, he seemed depressed. I get he doesn't like doing these, and most coaches probably don't, but it wouldn't kill him to show a little more energy or enthusiasm. He doesn't have to like doing them, but if he likes his job I think some enthusiasm should show. Saban obviously doesn't want to do press conferences either, but he has energy and sometimes gets really animated in them.

Last edited:
I think one of the guys either Shockley or the other guy pointed it out during the game, Guarantano looks much more in control and is the leader of that team. They showed him on the sideline talking to the linemen after a play or a WR or a RB. The coaching I think has improved his confidence and leadership and that I think will pay big down the line during the season.

Pruitt and his group are getting these kids to buy in and I think after we get through the brutal stretch, if we can come out with no injuries, we'll have a pretty good team to close the year.

While discussing the chop block penalty play in the 1st quarter, Jeremy said, "we declared the Mike, and got confusion on who we declared the Mike; there's no reason for that."

The Mike I know is short for middle linebacker. So does it mean the same here, or something else, and either wway, what's Jeremy saying about the confusion our lads had?

Thanks in advance!

Has Saban ever been positive about anything? The only compliments I've heard him give were after winning a NC.

I'd be ok with that.

Just watched it. Gotta tell ya, Coach Pruitt looks like he had rather be at the dentist instead of doing that show. LOL One thing that I did notice is that he seems to be very reluctant to be positive. Not saying that’s a bad thing just that it seems like he’s trying to control expectations. Looked like Bob was trying to get him talking but he really wasn’t having any of it. Didn’t see him as being negative just very reserved.
That's exactly what I said last week. His approach to the show is exactly my approach to the dentist. Generally bummed out, but knowing I have to do it.

Ironically, it makes the show more entertaining. Talking football with the occasional snarky comment at Bob is better than the Sunday propoganda Butch would put on.

82- I think he is referring to the middle linebacker, the confusion was they blocked the same guy thinking the other guy was gonna block the mike.

Not sure who makes that call but I always assumed it was the center.

He does give some praise. Quite a bit, actually. But these aren't little kids. If they are doing it wrong 90% of the time and right 10%, the ratio of criticism to praise should be the same. Anything else is just lying to them.

He does give some praise. Quite a bit, actually. But these aren't little kids. If they are doing it wrong 90% of the time and right 10%, the ratio of criticism to praise should be the same. Anything else is just lying to them.
I think the players are just happy to have somebody who knows that they have made a mistake. I don't think Butch knew on an individual basis what good play and bad play was. I have had supervisors during my career who I could snow a hundred percent of the time. While it may have been good for my performance appraisals, I did not have a whole lot of respect for those people.

Thanks in advance!

JP, here is my understanding of the play and how it applies to the chop block rule.

The mike was the guy they blocked. Only one was supposed to block him, but two did as there was some confusion about who was going to block the mike.

It’s okay for both to block him at the same time, But, according to the rule they must both block above the waste.

On the play one UT player went low and “cut” the defender by hitting him below the waste. That’s a legal block as long as another blocker doesn’t engage the defender above the waste which he did. Hence, the reason the chop block was called.

Essentially, there cannot be one player blocking the defender above the waist while another blocks below the waist.

I hope this helps.

JP, here is my understanding of the play and how it applies to the chop block rule.

The mike was the guy they blocked. Only one was supposed to block him, but two did as there was some confusion about who was going to block the mike.

It’s okay for both to block him at the same time, But, according to the rule they must both block above the waste.

On the play one UT player went low and “cut” the defender by hitting him below the waste. That’s a legal block as long as another blocker doesn’t engage the defender above the waste which he did. Hence, the reason the chop block was called.

Essentially, there cannot be one player blocking the defender above the waist while another blocks below the waist.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, thanks, Gunner.

I was just wondering what Jeremy meant by "we called the Mike." What was it about the blocking scheme of that play that requires the center (or QB, whoever) to "call the Mike"?

Kind of an Xs and Os, "inside the playbook" question, I guess. Just trying to completely understand what he said.

Yeah, thanks, Gunner.

I was just wondering what Jeremy meant by "we called the Mike." What was it about the blocking scheme of that play that requires the center (or QB, whoever) to "call the Mike"?

Kind of an Xs and Os, "inside the playbook" question, I guess. Just trying to completely understand what he said.
It's pointing out the middle linebacker ("the Mike") at the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. You point out the MLB as a frame of reference, and everyone's blocking assignments are based off of that.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Have you watched the previous two shows?

Pruitt was actually upbeat today compared to the WVU show, and he wasn’t that excited after the ETSU game.

But, today he seemed a bit more relaxed and ready to play Florida. He even commented that big conference games such as this one was the reason he came to Tennessee.
I thought so too. I still get the feeling that he'd rather be doing just about anything than that show.

It was better this week. He didn’t have to be prompted to talk. He sees the mistakes and points them out fast.

Defense held them to 80 yards on their last 11 drives. But, they got fortunate. A lot of blown coverages where UTEP QB either totally misssd the guy or they dropped the pass.

Offense shot itself in the foot numerous times. I still don’t think Banks fumbled. He looked down. I think if they stick with their best starting 5 on Oline we’ll start to see some improvement and consistency.
I still think Trey is better suited at guard.
Whether he did or not is open for debate, but that's the second time this year I've seen the RB try to stretch the ball across the goalline. Both times CJP called it out on his show as a no no. This play is exactly why. It gets knocked out it's a judgement call by the official. He secures the ball we get another play from the 1.

VN Store

Back