Jason Carr/Circle of Life

maybe we should have done this with Mccullars last year. it just seemed he couldnt find the spark to get to that level of intensity needed. Just leaned on people.

I started to get the feeling that there wasn't an intense bone in Big Dan's whole big body last season. Hope they can bring some fire out of Carr

Reactions: 1 person
I almost posted a similar thread this morning. I think he needs to be nastier. I remember the staff trying to motivate him last year hoping to get him more looks after Sailsberry went down, but I don't believe he responded as well as they hoped.

Quote from Steve Stripling this week: "We've challenged Jason Carr from Day 1. He's the biggest, prettiest guy walking off the bus, right? We challenge him daily to develop his toughness, develop his leverage, develop all those things."

He meant Megabus. :)

What do you think Butch meant when he said Carr would start in the middle of the circle of life drill everyday until further notice? Is he seeing Carr not living up to his potential and is pushing him, or is he just a beast and wants to see who can step up?

I understand, having played the game, that you have to be tough, but trust me, you have to be careful with this "he-man" approach. It can kill a player's spirit, and have an adverse effect on the entire team.
I only assume Butch knows what he's doing. :whistling:
GO JASON. GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
Same thing they do n the pro's. He knows they read the media and now he's got pressure to perform.

I almost posted a similar thread this morning. I think he needs to be nastier. I remember the staff trying to motivate him last year hoping to get him more looks after Sailsberry went down, but I don't believe he responded as well as they hoped.

Quote from Steve Stripling this week: "We've challenged Jason Carr from Day 1. He's the biggest, prettiest guy walking off the bus, right? We challenge him daily to develop his toughness, develop his leverage, develop all those things."

It's difficult to predict when the light comes on for any given player. Some have that desire almost from the first practice. For others, it just takes time. From what I've read, Carr has improved this spring, but CBJ and Strib need him to accelerate his improvement. Winning one vs one battles is the major component. Coaches just want him to use this challenge to improve his aggression and toughen his attitude. This is done all the time in competitive sports.

This whole freshman excuse doesn't work anymore. The last two freshman where Heisman winners. I know they were red shirts but still 1st year players. Look at all the freshman that were studs over the last few years. That still to young crap don't get it anymore.
So you're predicting a winning record for Tennessee this year?

What do you think Butch meant when he said Carr would start in the middle of the circle of life drill everyday until further notice? Is he seeing Carr not living up to his potential and is pushing him, or is he just a beast and wants to see who can step up?

Originally Posted by TriCitiesVol
from last practice regarding Circle of Life drill .... Jakob Johnson got the better of A.J. in the Circle of Life Drill. Blair got the better of Vereen, Crowder got the better of Carr, .....
"got the better of" means, 'gained an advantage over', or defeated, overpowered, or dominated. It's also been rumored that Jakob is a beast.

Freshman Coleman Thomas has already shown mean, nastiness. CBJ wants the DL to step up and do the same. These boys need to play like OLinemen are sleeping with their wives/girlfriends and pizzing in their Wheaties.

This whole freshman excuse doesn't work anymore. The last two freshman where Heisman winners. I know they were red shirts but still 1st year players. Look at all the freshman that were studs over the last few years. That still to young crap don't get it anymore.

I'm assuming that you mean that the last two Heisman winners were (RS) freshmen? I'm pretty sure none of the most recent freshmen have won a Heisman yet.

Simple answer to OP's question is Mack Crowder just buried him man on man. Carr was the bigger man and got whipped.. Mack Crowder is a little under the radar...tough kid, plays to the end of the whistle..Going to be a solid lineman for the Vols.

I'm assuming that you mean that the last two Heisman winners were (RS) freshmen? I'm pretty sure none of the most recent freshmen have won a Heisman yet.

I suggest not "feeding the bears" with facts there Cathcart.... this guy appears to be a blithering idiot. (no offense to the guy).

You can get by with freshmen in a lot of situations. It can become a problem if u have Ok, Al, SC, Ga, & Mizzou on your schedule

Whoa, JJ over AJ?! I know it is one single drill on a single day, but I like hearing the self-confidence Jakob seems to have as a freshman. That type of mentality is needed in the LB position.
On a sidenote, interesting we haven't heard much from Creamer-- as many on here thought he would be a standout from day 1. Probably is doing very well but I'll be curious to see what position he ends up in.

Whoa, JJ over AJ?! I know it is one single drill on a single day, but I like hearing the self-confidence Jakob seems to have as a freshman. That type of mentality is needed in the LB position.
On a sidenote, interesting we haven't heard much from Creamer-- as many on here thought he would be a standout from day 1. Probably is doing very well but I'll be curious to see what position he ends up in.

They've moved Neiko to LB so I'm sure his learning curve is pretty steep right now. Hopefully he'll take to it quickly and be able to contribute as a freshman.

So you're predicting a winning record for Tennessee this year?

Despite some serious trepidation, I would. I don't think we'll beat Bama but got a hunch this year we will scare the heck out of them like in 2009. I think it is possible we could, perhaps barely, eke out an 8-4 season.

You can get by with freshmen in a lot of situations. It can become a problem if u have Ok, Al, SC, Ga, & Mizzou on your schedule

There isn't going to be much to be scared about Mizzou next season. They lost everything besides DGB and Mauk.

He's trying to push him to the limit. To see if he can rise to the challenge, or to see if he'll fold. He's one of the guys that CBJ still has on "Do We Want Him To Be Here?" List.

No excuse to lose to USU ,Arky St , UTC , UK , Vandy or Mizzou. No reason why good coaching can't bring a victory against at least one if not two of the following , UF , UGA , USCe or Ole Miss. I mean after all we have the best damn staff in the country . I concede asking for a victory against either Oklahoma or Bama , is a bit too much . Those of you who are settling for 5-7 have just become to used to 5-7 .

VN Store

Back