James Conner will be the best pure RB from the 2017 NFL Draft

Vince Young went 3rd overall, won RotY, and made a Pro Bowl. Still a bust.

I know. Which makes the fact Bush couldn't make it to even one pro bowl incredibly embarrassing. Vince Young became a bust because of his attitude not talent. Reggie Bush became a bust because he was simply wasn't talented enough in the NFL to warrant a #2 overall pick. Reggie Bush performed in the NFL like 3rd rounder.

Conversely, how can a bust maintain a 10 year career?

Easy if you get taken 2nd overall in a draft.

Why is it hard for you to acknowledge that failing to live up to expectations is part of the calculus in evaluating whether a player is a bust?

If Reggie Bush had been drafted in the 3rd round he would have been a good pick and his 10 years of below average play would have been commendable. But as a #2 overall pick if you are a below average player at your position for 10 years you are a bust IMO.

Why is it hard for you to acknowledge that failing to live up to expectations is part of the calculus in evaluating whether a player is a bust?

You said it's the entire calculus, not "part" of it. Of course, each and every bust failed to live up to expectations. But one could fall a little short, or one could fall incredibly short. Failing to differentiate is why you say stupid crap like calling Andrew Luck a bust.

I know. Which makes the fact Bush couldn't make it to even one pro bowl incredibly embarrassing. Vince Young became a bust because of his attitude not talent. Reggie Bush became a bust because he was simply wasn't talented enough in the NFL to warrant a #2 overall pick. Reggie Bush performed in the NFL like 3rd rounder.

Easy if you get taken 2nd overall in a draft.

If Reggie Bush had been drafted in the 3rd round he would have been a good pick and his 10 years of below average play would have been commendable. But as a #2 overall pick if you are a below average player at your position for 10 years you are a bust IMO.

Well, if it takes calculus to evaluate players living up to their evaluation, then that eliminates you as it is well above your level of basic arithmetic.

Reactions: 1 person
If you can't admit Bush is a bust then there is no reason to discuss this any further because according to my definition of bust, Reggie Bush is the epitome of a bust.

:eek:lol: okay.:eek:lol:

you're right because you say so. nice. i'm gonna start using that with my wife.

it's like you're not even trying. knowing this makes it much easier to simply dismiss anything you say.

not sure why people continue to engage? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 person
Geez folks quit arguing with this guy. The extent of his knowledge is from playing Madden and watching tv. I don't mind him posting his opinions as that is what we do here but he will never cede the point that his opinion could possibly be flawed or that multiple variables could influence any player outcome.

Geez folks quit arguing with this guy. The extent of his knowledge is from playing Madden and watching tv. I don't mind him posting his opinions as that is what we do here but he will never cede the point that his opinion could possibly be flawed or that multiple variables could influence any player outcome.

why should he? his only measuring stick is his own opinion. i'd roll with that until i proved myself wrong too.:eek:lol:

apparently you missed the part where it all depends on how he sees it, as to how valid the point is.

haha I read through it... I try to see his side on some of this stuff but its hard man.. really hard. My main response always being "Wut?"

The main difference between an average player or a bust is draft pick or salary.

"Bust" is a pretty subjective term, but for me it's somebody who has high expectations and then struggles to belong in the league. Bush was a disappointment, not a bust.

I wouldn't even say Alex Smith is a disappointment. Anybody who can start in the league for 10+ years and take their team to multiple playoffs is not a disappointment. When Smith got drafted, I don't think anybody was expecting him to be a superstar. I think the 49ers thought that if he panned out, he'd be a solid QB (and maybe if they got lucky, he'd be great).

I believe Fournette will be a bust. Now that doesn't necessarily mean he won't have any good seasons. I think he'll have a couple of good years. But I don't think he'll be as good as many RBs in this class and won't be among the elite in the NFL as many assume.

Conner
Kamara
McCaffrey
Mixon

Those four will be the best RBs from this draft.

So..... Fournette will both be a bust AND have some good seasons. Wtf? Hedge much? And I'm certain you don't know what a bust is.

Last edited:
That is not the accepted definition of a "bust." That line of thinking is why you say stupid stuff like calling Andrew Luck a bust.

By your standard, if Josh Dobbs does not have the best season in NFL history, he will be a "bust".

Boom! End the thread.

3.9 ypc is. And he also had 0 TDs as a rookie and also had microfracture surgery.

Typically RBs show their worth early. So far Melvin Gordon looks like a bust given where he was drafted.

You think 3.9 ypc in the NFL behind a subpar OL is bad? How about 3.7 ypc, in college? See Hurd, Jalen.

Connor lacks speed and quickness. He'll probably hang around for a few seasons

Agree. He was productive at Pitt, is tough, looks like a football player. But 4.65 speed and average explosion will likely limit him. I can see him being a decent, serviceable player who hangs around 2-4 years. Doesn't have near the ceiling as some of the top backs in the class. And there's zero reason to believe he'll be the top RB in this class.

You said it's the entire calculus, not "part" of it. Of course, each and every bust failed to live up to expectations. But one could fall a little short, or one could fall incredibly short. Failing to differentiate is why you say stupid crap like calling Andrew Luck a bust.

Forget Luck. His career just started. I could ultimately be wrong about him.

But Reggie Bush's career is over and he's a definite bust.

Zero pro bowls in a career for the #2 overall pick makes him an obvious bust.

I think Marino would probably have to be considered a bust by D4H's standard. Philip Rivers certainly would.

No. Both were elite players in the league for a number of years. Marino is a Hall of Famer. And Phillip Rivers has been a very good QB for a long time.

bust in the traditional sense has been a bit debunked since the rookie salary cap took effect. there won't be any more jamarcus russell type busts anymore. where the money is just plain dumb for what is really an unknown.

that said, when i think bust it really only comes down to a couple things....for the position a player is drafted in, with an expectation of being a productive player early, and throughout his career, the only question that has to be answered is can he play or can't he?

cause nowadays, from a money standpoint, you might have to ask....did he get to a 2nd contract? was he tagged? released? traded? injury prone?

for example...the steelers just let 2 1st round picks walk. jarvis jones and lawrence timmons. but neither are busts. the steelers just decided not to pay.

but guys like Jeff Otah, bust. or that WR from Ok St a few years ago, bust. there were a couple pretty high profile USCw WR's that wound up out of the league, both busts. manziel, bust, RGIII, bust.

reggie bush, tedd ginn jr, alex smith etc...not busts.

you just have to understand that for a good many of these guys, the team that drafts them probably won't be the team they end their career with, unless they flame out, thus making them a bust.

VN Store

Back