James Conner will be the best pure RB from the 2017 NFL Draft

Most coaches see the most improvement in the offseason between their rookie and sophomore year.

Most everyone. He was taken first overall in the 2005 NFL draft and has been nothing more than an average starter in the league over his career.

Typically when you pick a QB first overall you're looking for more than just AVERAGE. Especially when a guy like Aaron Rodgers was on the board and available for you to take.

If you can play 12 seasons, starting most of them, you are not a bust.

Reactions: 1 person
Most everyone. He was taken first overall in the 2005 NFL draft and has been nothing more than an average starter in the league over his career.

Typically when you pick a QB first overall you're looking for more than just AVERAGE. Especially when a guy like Aaron Rodgers was on the board and available for you to take.

Bull.

A bust doesn't last 12 years in the NFL as a starter. That's just stupid on so many levels.

No sane person would describe Alex Smith the same way they describe JaMarcus Russell.

I think Reggie Bush averaged 14 touches a game for his career--10 runs and 4 catches, or so. I see Kamara as a lot like Bush, and being used like him. He won't get 20 touches a game and he doesn't want 20 touches a game--or he will get hurt. Bush was still in the league last year--his 11th. Truthfully, I'm not sure anyone should play 10 years in the NFL anymore--except for maybe QBs. It's not good for your head and your long-term health.

If everyone said what I was saying sure. But the consensus right now is that Josh is a developmental QB with a chance to be a solid starter that is going to be drafted in the 2nd-3rd round. If he turns out to be a good starter, he would exceed expectations.

A bust isn't defined by one person's opinion of the prospect but rather what the general consensus is. That is how Alex Smith is considered a bust even though he has out together a pretty solid career. He went 1st overall in a draft that included Aaron Rodgers. By that standard he's a bust. If he went in the second round he would have been a steal.
Lol at the first sentence of the second paragraph

If you can play 12 seasons, starting most of them, you are not a bust.

If the team that picked you 1st overall trades you for a 2nd round pick then you are a bust.

Being a bust is related to where you are picked. For the average player, playing 12 years is great. For the #1 overall pick it's expected (especially at QB).

#1 overall picks are not just expected to play in the league for a long time. They are expected to play AT A HIGH LEVEL for a long time.

Bull.

A bust doesn't last 12 years in the NFL as a starter. That's just stupid on so many levels.

No sane person would describe Alex Smith the same way they describe JaMarcus Russell.

Is or is not Reggie Bush a bust?

He played for a long time. But he also came in with immense hype and was expected to be a dominant player and that never materialized.

If the team that picked you 1st overall trades you for a 2nd round pick then you are a bust.

Being a bust is related to where you are picked. For the average player, playing 12 years is great. For the #1 overall pick it's expected (especially at QB).

#1 overall picks are not just expected to play in the league for a long time. They are expected to play AT A HIGH LEVEL for a long time.

You are literally the only person in the world who subscribes to this definition of "bust."

Reactions: 6 people
You are literally the only person in the world who subscribes to this definition of "bust."

Is Reggie Bush a bust or not?

He also played for a long time. 10 years for a RB is remarkably long career. But his production has been pedestrian and he has not come close to achieving what Maurice Jones-Drew (another RB from the same draft) achieved and MJD was a second round pick compared to Reggie Bush who was #2 overall.

Most people would say Reggie Bush has been a bust because he has not performed like a #2 overall pick should perform. Same is true for Alex Smith who has definitely not performed like a #1 overall pick should perform like.

He also played for a long time. 10 years for a RB is remarkably long career. But his production has been pedestrian and he has not come close to achieving what Maurice Jones-Drew (another RB from the same draft) achieved and MJD was a second round pick compared to Reggie Bush who was #2 overall.

Most people would say Reggie Bush has been a bust because he has not performed like a #2 overall pick should perform. Same is true for Alex Smith who has definitely not performed like a #1 overall pick should perform like.

Bush = Bust

Alex Smith with 49ers = Bust

Alex Smith with Chiefs = Not Bust

No, Bush is not a bust. He did not justify the #2 pick, but he put up decent, if unspectacular, production over a long career.

No, Bush is not a bust. He did not justify the #2 pick, but he put up decent, if unspectacular, production over a long career.

I will explain how both of you are leaving huge things out.

Bama, you're leaving out that there is more than one kind of bust. There are draft busts and free agent busts. A draft bust is a player who was picked high or hyped to perform great with the original team that drafted him. Reggie Bush is a draft bust because he was a massive disappointment with the Saints. A free agent bust is a guy who goes to free agency, then doesn't perform to the expectations of his salary. Examples of that is Brock Osweiler with the Texans, Haynesworth with the skins, and Culpepper with the phins.

D4H, you make the assumption that a player is already a bust after their rookie season or before the draft. You also declare players as NFL Gems before they're even out of college or drafted. You have to learn how to use the grey areas and not be so extreme.

Alex Smith is not a total bust because he is doing good with the Chiefs. He is a draft bust because he did bad with the 49ers and was not worth the #1 pick.

I will explain how both of you are leaving huge things out.

Bama, you're leaving out that there is more than one kind of bust. There are draft busts and free agent busts. A draft bust is a player who was picked high or hyped to perform great with the original team that drafted him. Reggie Bush is a draft bust because he was a massive disappointment with the Saints. A free agent bust is a guy who goes to free agency, then doesn't perform to the expectations of his salary. Examples of that is Brock Osweiler with the Texans, Haynesworth with the skins, and Culpepper with the phins.

That's fair. But the question was "Is Reggie Bush a bust?" And no, he's not a bust. He was a bust for the Saints, ultimately built himself a nice career. He's not a bust on the level of Leaf, Russell, or Richardson who sucked from the jump and never stopped sucking.

That's fair. But the question was "Is Reggie Bush a bust?" And no, he's not a bust. He was a bust for the Saints, ultimately built himself a nice career. He's not a bust on the level of Leaf, Russell, or Richardson who sucked from the jump and never stopped sucking.

I would answer that in a two part answer. Yes, he was a bust for the saints as he didn't perform to expectations that massive amount of money carried. After he left NO, he had a few good years.

If you can't admit Bush is a bust then there is no reason to discuss this any further because according to my definition of bust, Reggie Bush is the epitome of a bust.

Reggie Bush was probably the most hyped prospect of the last 15 years outside of Andrew Luck and his career has been a colossal disappointment. He never made a pro bowl in his career and only rushed for 1000 yards TWICE in his career. He also never had more than 6 rushing TDs in a season. His entire career was largely as a complentary third down RB that wasn't even elite at that.

All around one of the most underwhelming careers ever for a player with as much hype as him. If Reggie Bush isn't a bust to you then nobody is.

Last edited:
If you can't admit Bush is a bust then there is no reason to discuss this any further because according to my definition of bust, Reggie Bush is the epitome of a bust.

I stopped reading right there. That is so insanely stupid that nothing that came after could possibly be worth reading. Your definition of "bust" is the entire problem.

Reactions: 3 people

What the ****

Reactions: 1 person
I stopped reading right there. That is so insanely stupid that nothing that came after could possibly be worth reading.

You stopped there because you can't respond to the facts I laid out.

How can a RB selected 2nd overall who NEVER made a pro-bowl not be a bust?

How can a RB selected 2nd overall NEVER rush for more than 1,086 yards in a season?

How can a RB selected 2nd overall only rush for 1,000 yards TWICE in a 10 year career?

If I said in 2006 that the guy everyone thought should be the #1 overall pick would NEVER make a pro bowl in a 10 year career, how many people would say that does NOT make him a bust? I'm guessing ZERO. Everyone who remembers the hype Reggie Bush came into the NFL with will admit he has been a huge bust.

You stopped there because you can't respond to the facts I laid out.

If you laid out facts, you didn't understand them.

How can a RB selected 2nd overall who NEVER made a pro-bowl not be a bust?

Vince Young went 3rd overall, won RotY, and made a Pro Bowl. Still a bust.

How can a RB selected 2nd overall only rush for 1,000 yards TWICE in a 10 year career?

Conversely, how can a bust maintain a 10 year career?

Reggie Bush got a ring which disqualifies him from bust status. LT or Peterson never got the elusive Lombardi trophy

Reggie Bush got a ring which disqualifies him from bust status. LT or Peterson never got the elusive Lombardi trophy

Reggie Bush was a passenger on that championship team he wasn't the bus driver. That was Drew Brees.

No ones cares about rings won while being carried by an all-time legend like Brees.

VN Store

Back