It's time - Who is next

No one is against 3 stars here. It's just the fact we should be recruiting on a higher level.

Look at Bama's commits over the past few years.

2013-2016 Bama

5 Stars - 20
4 Stars - 56
3 Stars - 25

Totals Players Signed: 101

2013-2016 TN

5 Stars - 1
4 Stars - 42
3 Stars - 57

Total Players Signed: 100

This data is from 247sports Composite Rankings. I believe that combines the major recruiting services and gets the "average" value.

Butch has done a DECENT job in recruiting so far, but he must step it up if we expect to even compete on their level.

Those extra 3 stars we're pulling in are 5 stars Bama is going after and succeeding in bringing them in.

Sorry to say, not all 3 stars turn into Cam Sutton. Those are "GEMS". :)

How many championships did bama win during that span. We are 3 years removed from not going bowling and how many players have we put in the league the last 2 years. Butch has as a top 10 team right now and folks still doubt him.

Reactions: 1 person
a head scratcher for sure. Based on how the Vols are doing, you'd think they'd be the team with 11 4 stars. As of today, this recruiting cycle has been a huge disappointment.

Disappointment of biblical proportions. Most people thought this year we could contend for the top class.

No one is against 3 stars here. It's just the fact we should be recruiting on a higher level.

Look at Bama's commits over the past few years.

2013-2016 Bama

5 Stars - 20
4 Stars - 56
3 Stars - 25

Totals Players Signed: 101

2013-2016 TN

5 Stars - 1
4 Stars - 42
3 Stars - 57

Total Players Signed: 100

This data is from 247sports Composite Rankings. I believe that combines the major recruiting services and gets the "average" value.

Butch has done a DECENT job in recruiting so far, but he must step it up if we expect to even compete on their level.

Those extra 3 stars we're pulling in are 5 stars Bama is going after and succeeding in bringing them in.

Sorry to say, not all 3 stars turn into Cam Sutton. Those are "GEMS". :)

Apples to oranges IMO. It seems that the LOM think that recruiting happens in a vacuum; that is, if CBJ and staff put a little more effort into recruiting, 5* would be falling over themselves to come to Knoxville. Records, NCs, and first round NFL draft selections be dammed.

Bama is 106-18 under Saban with four NCs and churns out NFL draft picks. During that same time frame, UT has been a complete dumpster fire. We weren't bowl eligible for a number of year. We have not had an NFL draft selection in two years. THAT is why Bama is very selective about signing 3* players--they don't need to. They've been the dominant program in CFB (other than tOSU) for recent memory.

CBJ's recruiting hasn't been perfect. My main criticism of his recruiting is that UT tends to load up on low-rated 3* players early in the process, when these are the type of players that UT should be targeting if they have a lot of room in January or miss out on their higher-rated targets. That being said, I've been impressed with this staff's ability to evaluate under-the-radar players, and CBJ deserves credit for completely revitalizing the roster.

It appears that UT fans don't want to face the truth: it's going to take a few more years of the success we've had this season to even sniff at the recruiting success Bama is having. Time will tell if CBJ is up to the task.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
It appears that UT fans don't want to face the truth: it's going to take a few more years of the success we've had this season to even sniff at the recruiting success Bama is having. Time will tell if CBJ is up to the task.

Great point. Maybe we should compare to a different college program.

I'll do some research and come back. :clapping:

Apples to oranges IMO. It seems that the LOM think that recruiting happens in a vacuum; that is, if CBJ and staff put a little more effort into recruiting, 5* would be falling over themselves to come to Knoxville. Records, NCs, and first round NFL draft selections be dammed.

Bama is 106-18 under Saban with four NCs and churns out NFL draft picks. During that same time frame, UT has been a complete dumpster fire. We weren't bowl eligible for a number of year. We have not had an NFL draft selection in two years. THAT is why Bama is very selective about signing 3* players--they don't need to. They've been the dominant program in CFB (other than tOSU) for recent memory.

CBJ's recruiting hasn't been perfect. My main criticism of his recruiting is that UT tends to load up on low-rated 3* players early in the process, when these are the type of players that UT should be targeting if they have a lot of room in January or miss out on their higher-rated targets. That being said, I've been impressed with this staff's ability to evaluate under-the-radar players, and CBJ deserves credit for completely revitalizing the roster.

I honestly cannot believe you are on this site with that screen name and avatar.

So we should just be happy with mediocrity?

I guess it depends on what your definition of mediocre is.

I'll take "losing" in mid-season recruiting rankings and winning on the field every time.

Also last I checked signing day is in February.

Good luck to UGA holding on to all of those 4* commits.

Reactions: 7 people
Glass half full crew needs to accept that most three stars are not diamonds in the rough who will pan out like Cam.

Glass half empty crew needs to accept that three stars make up the bulk of most power 5 rosters and should be perfectly capable of contributing.

I got into following this year's class a bit late so I admittedly don't know the nuances of each prospect's situation. That said, I am most concerned about the following three points:

1. This is clearly an up year for in state talent and other schools are benefitting from it more than UTK. This should never happen no matter what our record is;
2. We desperately need some OL and elite WR in this class. Where the hell are they? This is what killed Fulmer the last few years. He'd have a good DL and a bad OL and vice versa but never both at once . The SEC is still a trench warfare league and you must be able to generate push with both lines if you want to win consistently. As for WR, if we were taking care of the in state talent WR wouldn't be an issue; and
3. Our recruiting appears to be regressing while on the field success is improving. This doesn't make sense and raises questions in my mind about the staff's ability to close the deal. Butch may need to bring in some snake oil salesman although the staff is ultimately his call and he's the one who will have to pay the price if we have a Vandyesque roster in a couple of years.

Last edited:
I just think that we still have to let it play out some. There will be a great many moving parts before January with the EE and then even more before signing day. I will admit that we do not have as many elite prospects committed as I would have hoped, but Butch has demonstrated every year that he will never quit recruiting, that he has a plan and that the class will evolve as the season goes along.

I'm not posting a poll here but how many think we should let the season play out before we judge how our recruiting turns out?

Reactions: 2 people
Scoreboard

which is the prob. UT has a two year win streak, and was inches from beating UGA even with a much more depleted roster 3 and 4 years ago. UGa just lost to Vandy. Still they eclipse UT in recruiting. Something recruits not buying with Jones. UT is clearly the best team in the eaSt and good chance to go undefeated in the east.

This team has got to look a lot more cohesive and productive in the final 5. They will not play another ranked team in the regular season, so style points matter. recruits need to see that this is a team that can dominate the east.

Don't see anyone committing for a while. All our big targets will choose in December. Maybe 2018 Justin Fields but he's stacking offers.

You beat me to it. Was thinking the same thing. From what I understand there are no scheduled commitments
for recruits on our radar until December.

I wouldn't be surprised though if T.J. Moore would happen to commit somewhere before then. We need LB's, OL's, & DB's the worst. I would prefer 4*-5* as well at all positions. :)

which is the prob. UT has a two year win streak, and was inches from beating UGA even with a much more depleted roster 3 and 4 years ago. UGa just lost to Vandy. Still they eclipse UT in recruiting. Something recruits not buying with Jones. UT is clearly the best team in the eaSt and good chance to go undefeated in the east.

This team has got to look a lot more cohesive and productive in the final 5. They will not play another ranked team in the regular season, so style points matter. recruits need to see that this is a team that can dominate the east.
My opinion only is that the reason UGA, Clemson and others are getting commits from elite prospects that we should be in on is this staff's inability to sign an elite QB. It seems like classes are coalescing around the top QBs nowadays. Again, just my opinion based on what I'm observing.:hi:

Recruits come when the wins come. We didn't get into this mess in a couple of seasons and we won't get out in a couple of seasons. Let us go 10-2 and we swing a couple of 4 stars our way, maybe, just maybe steal a 5 star. Keep going 10-2, 11-1 and make it to the playoffs a couple of times and suddenly we get those 5 stars.

My opinion only is that the reason UGA, Clemson and others are getting commits from elite prospects that we should be in on is this staff's inability to sign an elite QB. It seems like classes are coalescing around the top QBs nowadays. Again, just my opinion based on what I'm observing.:hi:

Your opinion is worth as much as a Jarrett Guarantano redshirt...keep up wouldja?

Reactions: 4 people
He can't help us this year in the same way that Fromm is recruiting for UGA and Johnson is recruiting for Clemson.

Don't know why he "can't". They don't cut your social media accounts off if you redshirt. Recruits like to know who their QB is GOING to be...not if he's going to the prom. JG can make his case on VISITS better than those HS kids at their campuses. Kids considering UGA are more interested in talking to Eason than his backup and Hunter Johnson's influence has been overstated. Betting Tee Higgins sticking with Clemson has nothing to do with HJ's presence on the pine.

VN Store

Back