It's April and Rick Barnes decides to retire and join Saban. Who's your first 2 calls to?

Brad Underwood and Grant McCasland would be the first two calls I make. Very possible that both would turn down the job but not at all impossible that one would say yes. McCasland is from Texas so he would be the longer shot of the two.

I think it's debatable. They are at least competitive now and will probably make the NCAAT this year. I just think it makes a lot of sense with his ties to TN.

Danny Manning is a not a good coach and even he got Wake to an NCAAT in his first three seasons. Forbes going 0/4 doesn’t reflect well on him. I’m not saying he couldn’t be a fallback option if we swing and miss on some guys, but he shouldn’t be one our first calls.

I would check with Tommy Lloyd but doubt he’d leave Arizona, same for the other top guys like a Hurley at UCONN.

Nate Oats at Bama? Fans have grown to dislike hun here, would Danny consider him?

Brad Underwood I think would get consideration and could be mutual, Niko Medved at Colorado State is a name I could see White looking at.

I would check with Tommy Lloyd but doubt he’d leave Arizona, same for the other top guys like a Hurley at UCONN.

Nate Oats at Bama? Fans have grown to dislike hun here, would Danny consider him?

Brad Underwood I think would get consideration and could be mutual, Niko Medved at Colorado State is a name I could see White looking at.
Oats’ handling of his team’s involvement with the murder of the young lady, especially with the “wrong place at the wrong time” comment concerning Miller eliminates him from my list.

Let’s hope we don’t have to worry about this for many years, I don’t see Barnes hanging it up for at least a couple more years

Let’s hope we don’t have to worry about this for many years, I don’t see Barnes hanging it up for at least a couple more years
Agreed. Often the fanbase is only interested in wins/losses, but I assume from an AD’s perspective there’s a lot more to running a sports program. I’d bet Barnes likely gets an A+ grade for running a trouble free program with players who don’t embarrass the school and we never ran afoul of the NCAA. I hope we can find a similar type guy to replace him, but ”Barnes’ type” coaches are not commonplace.

I think it's debatable. They are at least competitive now and will probably make the NCAAT this year. I just think it makes a lot of sense with his ties to TN.
You could make a real argument they’ve underperformed this season. They’ve also had horrid collapses down the stretch the last 2 seasons that have cost them tourney bids (unless they win the ACC tourney this year, likely). I’d hard pass on Forbes.

Barnes is 69 years old and has arguably the best team this year during his tenure. It wouldn’t shock me if he has another 5-6 years left in the tank. He is obviously not slowing down. I trust that DW will make a solid hire when the time comes.

VN Store

Back