It's April and Rick Barnes decides to retire and join Saban. Who's your first 2 calls to?

We will most likely promote whoever Barnes’s lead assistant is when he decides to retire. This is not a place that’s going to be able to poach a sitting P5 coach. It never has been.

I know him and his son personally. He’d kiffin them in the middle of the night to come back to Tennessee. In terms of accomplishments he’s also our best coach in history. I know that’s going to upset you and you’re going to spew venom in response, but I’m just dealing in facts.
Getting fired for cause here permanently disqualifies you for future employment. It’s never going to happen. Pearl has as much chance to be rehired here as Jeremy Pruitt does.

We will most likely promote whoever Barnes’s lead assistant is when he decides to retire. This is not a place that’s going to be able to poach a sitting P5 coach. It never has been.
This is not the same job it was 9 years ago. It’s much better and Danny White is the AD. Not a blue blood job, but not far from one.

For the last 6 - 7 years we have had talent and expectations in all but about 1. I think Barnes takes 1 - 3 year outlooks at this stage. If he adds players like we've had over the last 7 year then he stays. Right now I'm not sure how promising some of the young guys are on the team. We need young talent because I'm not sure Barnes is a coach that likes a bunch of one year mercenaries that turn the roster each year.
I'm not worried about Barnes and his roster management

Lmao to all of that. Incredible.
It’s pretty incredible that you won’t acknowledge that. Name the coach in Tennessee history that’s been the farthest in the ncaa tournament. Now name the coach that went to at least the sweet 16 50% of the time. Name the coach that has the best win % in school history. And then finally name the coach that has the best tournament win % in school history. Hint: it’s all the same guy, and he currently coaches at auburn. Being the most accomplished is about.. well… accomplishments. He has the most.

You not liking Pearl doesn’t change that. Again, I’m not stating my opinion. I’m stating facts, which you seem to find incredible. Lol.

1. Bruce Pearl, 63 years old and has at least another decade of coaching left in him. He would win a title at UT and would have won at least one here, if he had never left.

2. I would throw big money at a top coach at any of the major programs, that have been close but maybe not quite there. Sometimes a change of scenery is good and now that UT has shown it IS a consistent contender, it should be extraordinarily attractive to any coach. The support from the admin is huge, the fan base, the state of the art facilities and continuing success should draw big names.

3. If I couldn't get Pearl or poach a top coach from another top five program, then I would seriously consider Steve Forbes.

There would absolutely be no reason to settle for anything less than a top tier coach. No experimental coach idea would be necessary. With the current state of the program and how elevated it is nationally, it could literally be a plug and play for any top tier coach. Tennessee should not settle for anything less.

Reactions: LtDansLegs
It’s pretty incredible that you won’t acknowledge that. Name the coach in Tennessee history that’s been the farthest in the ncaa tournament. Now name the coach that went to at least the sweet 16 50% of the time. Name the coach that has the best win % in school history. And then finally name the coach that has the best tournament win % in school history. Hint: it’s all the same guy, and he currently coaches at auburn. Being the most accomplished is about.. well… accomplishments. He has the most.

You not liking Pearl doesn’t change that. Again, I’m not stating my opinion. I’m stating facts, which you seem to find incredible. Lol.
Cool. Go buy some Auburn gear since you love their coach so much.

This is not the same job it was 9 years ago. It’s much better and Danny White is the AD. Not a blue blood job, but not far from one.
We might as well be a blue blood, our basketball budget is as large as any of them and our facilities are better than most of theirs. Our athletic director is better than all of theirs.

Getting fired for cause here permanently disqualifies you for future employment. It’s never going to happen. Pearl has as much chance to be rehired here as Jeremy Pruitt does.
Yeah I know, that’s not what we’re talking about. I even stated that our admin wouldn’t hire him. I’m only talking about his willingness to come back to TN, not about TN’s willingness to rehire him.

Pearl is objectively a top 2 all time coach here, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who thinks otherwise. I’m impartial to the current coach, mostly because pearl drove the program into a tailspin with his selfish behavior at the end of his tenure - one which the current coach resurrected and brought stability we’ve never seen.

Irregardless of that, he would not come back here. It would make zero career sense for him, zero personal sense, and, as you said, our admin would never bring him back.

I’m not a huge Pearl fan, mainly for the reason mentioned above, but nothing I said in previous posts should have triggered you to think I don’t like him. You seem to have a complex about this whole thing.

Cool. Go buy some Auburn gear since you love their coach so much.
And if I told you saban was the best coach of all time, you’d tell me to go buy Bama gear. To you, being a fan means denying the greatness of any other player or team except your own.

I love Rick Barnes. He hasn’t accomplished as much at Tennessee as Pearl did. Not yet, at least. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

Try to set your emotions aside for a second and think critically. You’ll realize that your comment about buying auburn gear was silly af.

Reactions: VolCalls
And if I told you saban was the best coach of all time, you’d tell me to go buy Bama gear. To you, being a fan means denying the greatness of any other player or team except your own.

I love Rick Barnes. He hasn’t accomplished as much at Tennessee as Pearl did. Not yet, at least. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

Try to set your emotions aside for a second and think critically. You’ll realize that your comment about buying auburn gear was silly af.
Pearl didn't inherit the **** show that Barnes did

No, he wouldn't because Saban is the best of all time. Is getting us in NCAA trouble an accomplishment?

Pearl is objectively a top 2 all time coach here, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who thinks otherwise. I’m impartial to the current coach, mostly because pearl drove the program into a tailspin with his selfish behavior at the end of his tenure - one which the current coach resurrected and brought stability we’ve never seen.

Irregardless of that, he would not come back here. It would make zero career sense for him, zero personal sense, and, as you said, our admin would never bring him back.

I’m not a huge Pearl fan, mainly for the reason mentioned above, but nothing I said in previous posts should have triggered you to think I don’t like him. You seem to have a complex about this whole thing.
You mean you’re partial to our current coach… because if you were being impartial you’d acknowledge that Pearl is more accomplished. Maybe dislike was a strong word, but you have clear bias against him.

I disagree with you because I know you’re wrong; I know for an absolute fact that he would come back. You just speculate that he wouldn’t, but I’m not speculating. Former players and even a current SEC network announcer have told me as much.

Trying to help you become more informed doesn’t make me triggered or mean I have a complex. Also not the correct use of ‘complex’ there, unless you think that I have high anxiety about this, which would be strange thing to think on your part lol.

You mean you’re partial to our current coach… because if you were being impartial you’d acknowledge that Pearl is more accomplished. Maybe dislike was a strong word, but you have clear bias against him.

I disagree with you because I know you’re wrong; I know for an absolute fact that he would come back. You just speculate that he wouldn’t, but I’m not speculating. Former players and even a current SEC network announcer have told me as much.

Trying to help you become more informed doesn’t make me triggered or mean I have a complex. Also not the correct use of ‘complex’ there, unless you think that I have high anxiety about this, which would be strange thing to think on your part lol.
You're not informing anyone with anything

Reactions: berryvol
Pearl didn't inherit the **** show that Barnes did
Don’t know how you can say that. We were picked to finish second to last in the SEC when he took over. Barnes was picked to finish second to last in his first year iirc. Pearl’s style allowed for earlier success, than Barnes’ style.

Yeah pearl inherited the best group of guards in UT history + Wingate down low. Also, the two starting guards from that group were here for 3 of his 6 years. Pearl was very good here, but the hand he and Barnes were dealt could not be more opposite.
The best group of guards in history, arguably, is the group we currently have on roster.

You’re saying a ton of words to tell us you know a lot of people. Congrats on that!

Apologies for adding two letters to “partial” - I hope my atonement of 10 living room pushups is enough for you, oh grammar hitler. I will proofread better next time 🙏

Reactions: LoudOrange

VN Store

Back