It’s happening

No effing way he or Bama can expect us to go coachless until end of playoff.

If that is a snag, on to next candidate.

It's Bama's way of making sure they hurt our recruiting, especially with the early signing period now.

All schools looking for coaches can expect this type of roadblock going forward. Schools are going to play the early signing period to their advantage.

If true, where does Phil get off on doing that? Coaches pick their coordinators, ADs don’t

not true...don't believe that...AD Fulmer did what AD Currie should've done first...make contact with a former championship VFL as a courtesy (show of respect) for counsel and gauge interest...not as a HC like some would have you believe...and,

GO AD FULMER AND GO VOLS!!

Reactions: 1 person
If Pruitt or Tucker will not leave their respective teams and assume the HC role immediately then we need to move on. How in the heck was this issue not one of the first issues discussed? Why has this become an issue so late in the negotiations?

If Pruitt or Tucker will not leave their respective teams and assume the HC role immediately then we need to move on. How in the heck was this issue not one of the first issues discussed? Why has this become an issue so late in the negotiations?

If they want the good money they should take it and work for us !

The playoff is during the dead period. He would recruit for UT but coach the game for Bama. Same thing Kirby Smart did. Not an issue.

Teams do get to practice in preparation for the playoffs. I highly doubt Saban would not want his DC present for them.

Hearing interweb rumors of Hugh Freeze as a possible OC..again..the interwebs..

And Saban never thought enough of DD to promote him higher than a position coach.
Pretty unfair comment, don't you think? Dooley worked for Saban at LSU from the 2000-2004 seasons. Jimbo Fisher was the O.C. there for the entire 5 seasons that Saban was HC, and Dooley was on the staff.

Then, Dooley worked for Saban for 2 years at the Miami Dolphins from 2005-2006 seasons. Saban hired the O.C. from the Minnesota Vikings to be his O.C. That man is now the O.C. for the Cowboys, and was once head coach of the Rams. I can't remember his name, something like Linehart???

So, in order for Saban to promote Dooley to O.C. since Dooley was an offensive coach, should Saban have:

A) Fired Jimbo as his O.C. at LSU, and given the job to Dooley, or

B) Passed over a proven NFL O.C. from the Vikings, and instead hired a college position coach with no co-ord or NFL experience, and promote Dooley?

Give us a break and face reality.

It's Bama's way of making sure they hurt our recruiting, especially with the early signing period now.

All schools looking for coaches can expect this type of roadblock going forward. Schools are going to play the early signing period to their advantage.

Regardless, because of the situation I doubt Fulmer will budge on this.

It’s now or never for guys like Pruitt or Tucker.

Gotta be honest. I wouldn't want a coach who would walk away from his team in the middle of a NC hunt. That was one thing that impressed me about Kirby. He did a great job on both fronts; helping Bama win a NC and shoring up our recruiting class. It can be done and it shows great character, IMHO.

Forgot Kirby did that. Thanks for the insight. I've been kind of worried about the ramifications of waiting for a coach until after the bowl season. The only problem is that when Kirby did it, there wasn't an early signing period.

Call me irrational but our coach should not be standing on Bama's sideline, wearing Bama gear, and helping them win a NC.

Early signing period is in 2 weeks (also a factor that makes the Smart comparison moot) and he should be investing every waking hour on the road trying to build UT a team that can win.

If wants to stay there, I honestly wouldn't hold it against him. But if he wants to be here then he needs to give UT 100% from day one.

Reactions: 5 people

And who do you suggest we turn to next? Last man standing is Steele. Again, somehow I just know it's going to come down to him. Just do it and get it over with Fulmer. Hell, there's no good reason to play this stupid game with interviews and all this garbage. Just sign Steele and Tee and get on with this crap.

FWIW, i just ventured over to the Bama Forum and it seems their “insiders” are telling them that the hold up was TN not wanting Pruitt to continue to coach Bama in the Playoffs and that he was planning on turning down the job if he couldn’t finish out the season. We all have become experts on how much the “insiders” truly know but it seems to be coming from several over there that Pruitt isn’t accepting.

I hope they are wrong...i think he would be a great hire particularly for his recruiting. We shall see by tomorrow.

I do begrudge him that. If Pruitt wants the job, he should take it and report to work immediately to try to salvage this recruiting class, especially with early signing fast approaching. Trying to help what will become his biggest rival win another championship is NOT in UT's interest. Not reporting to work until potentially after Jan 8th is not in UT's best interest. David Cutcliffe left for Ole Miss before a NC game on the line, but UT doesn't warrant the same respect from its potential coach? A man cannot serve two masters.

I'm hoping that this is all just a big mistake and once Phil replaces the battery in his hearing aid he will figure out that Vol Nation has been screaming for the pIREit not the pROOit.

Respectfully disagree.

Best the Vols are going to be in 2018 is 6-6 = Shreveport Walkon Independence Bowl. They are fine people there.

Have Pruitt announce in the Presser that he’s going to honor his commitment to his current team. Note the words “Honor” & “Commitment to the team”. He will then state that he expects anyone who wants to win at UT to honor that commitment during the early signing period and sign up to the greatest team one could ever play for. The lesson is for prospective and current players is “We don’t quit on our commits, and we see them through to the end.”

Push the contract $ to post 1/9/2018 and extend the deal to six years with a higher buyout to be paid by the coach if he leaves early. Add a clause that states that the coach cannot go back to his current university under any circumstance until 1/10/2024, or the final date of any extension. Announce this clause in the presser “As a final demonstration of my honoring my commitment to The University of Tennesse, I cannot accept employment at Alabama until I have honored my commitment in full to Rocky Top.”

So we lose 2-3 early’s that we’re not all in to begin with. Pruitt’s non-playoff staff can do the leg work until he joins in. We will sign 25 on a heavy returning two-deep squad, so the class of 2018 is now less important than 2019 & 2020 which would be his recruits anyway.

We would be showing that we are a fan base of honor & commitment which are ideals worth more than words.

Some won’t see past the rivalry, but doing the right thing here lasts longer than an early signing period.

Flame retardent suit and helmet on - check.

Reactions: 2 people
Call me irrational but our coach should not be standing on Bama's sideline, wearing Bama gear, and helping them win a NC.

Early signing period is in 2 weeks (also a factor that makes the Smart comparison moot) and he should be investing every waking hour on the road trying to build UT a team that can win.

If wants to stay there, I honestly wouldn't hold it against him. But if he wants to be here then he needs to give UT 100% from day one.
If he wants to be the head coach at Tennessee then he needs to be on the job day one. If not , say so , then lets move on. Fulmer needs to grow some nuts....thats is why he makes the big bucks. Athletic Director makes big decisions , not just make all the free all you can eat feeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Rumor on 247 is Pruitt doesn’t want Tee and Phil wants Tee. Might be a snag.

This is exactly why I thought it would be a horrible idea for Phil to be AD. It’s not about who he wants for assistants and he’ll have a hard time accepting it. It wouldn’t shock me if we lost Pruitt because of it.

It's called a contract it's in it....good Lord people

It is also called previous responsibility. I do not begrudge a coach for being a decent human being. Might not be a bad thing for us to have Pru coaching in the natty while transitioning to UT. Recruits might dig on the buzz.

Respectfully disagree.

Best the Vols are going to be in 2018 is 6-6 = Shreveport Walkon Independence Bowl. They are fine people there.

Have Pruitt announce in the Presser that he’s going to honor his commitment to his current team. Note the words “Honor” & “Commitment to the team”. He will then state that he expects anyone who wants to win at UT to honor that commitment during the early signing period and sign up to the greatest team one could ever play for. The lesson is for prospective and current players is “We don’t quit on our commits, and we see them through to the end.”

Push the contract $ to post 1/9/2018 and extend the deal to six years with a higher buyout to be paid by the coach if he leaves early. Add a clause that states that the coach cannot go back to his current university under any circumstance until 1/10/2024, or the final date of any extension. Announce this clause in the presser “As a final demonstration of my honoring my commitment to The University of Tennesse, I cannot accept employment at Alabama until I have honored my commitment in full to Rocky Top.”

So we lose 2-3 early’s that we’re not all in to begin with. Pruitt’s non-playoff staff can do the leg work until he joins in. We will sign 25 on a heavy returning two-deep squad, so the class of 2018 is now less important than 2019 & 2020 which would be his recruits anyway.

We would be showing that we are a fan base of honor & commitment which are ideals worth more than words.

Some won’t see past the rivalry, but doing the right thing here lasts longer than an early signing period.

Flame retardent suit and helmet on - check.

Good post.

good chance that his coaching staff probably is balls deep in planning for their CFP games and bowl games..

VN Store

Back