Is Tennessee going Nike Jordan?

If anyone is interested in seeing what UT Jordan's might look like Google "shattered backboard Jordan's". Lots of orange!

Reactions: V0LUNT33R
If anyone is interested in seeing what UT Jordan's might look like Google "shattered backboard Jordan's". Lots of orange!

Gotta Google the second version. The first SBB’s had as much black as orange!

GIJuv5tWMAAAB6i
No. Nike is not moving any schools to Jordan brand. Their existing contracts say only one school in each conference gets the Jordan brand, obviously that is changing with conference realignment, but Nike does not have current plans to add any schools to the Jordan roster.

At the beginning of the current Nike deal, some of the postseason gifts for football and basketball were able to be ordered in Jordan brand, but that hasn’t been the case the last few years. I could definitely see Nike going back to that or having a set up like they have in the NBA, where are the alternate jersey for each team carries the Jordan Brand, as does the All-Star and postseason apparel. If I had to guess, that’s where most of the speculation is coming from, they are having those discussions with schools about moving to an NBA type model for the Nike/Jordan split.

No. Nike is not moving any schools to Jordan brand. Their existing contracts say only one school in each conference gets the Jordan brand, obviously that is changing with conference realignment, but Nike does not have current plans to add any schools to the Jordan roster.
Oklahoma, Houston, and Cincinnati are current Jumpman brands in the Big 12. Cincinnati just became Jumpman this year with their move to the Big 12. When OU moves to the SEC, they and Florida will be at least two Jumpman brands in the same conference. So obviously, more than one school in each conference can now get the brand.

All the rest aside Jordan Brand is an upgrade over Nike period. With Jordan brand, you get everything Nike plus the Jordan brand and its not just about basketball it about the culture. Trust me recruits are gonna prefer Jordan swag over plain Nike swag. No matter what sport.
I was all for switching to Nike and this was one of the reasons but mainly because Nike had better equipment than Adidas and that's what recruits liked. The equipment will be the exact same with a different logo going to Jordan.

Oklahoma, Houston, and Cincinnati are current Jumpman brands in the Big 12. Cincinnati just became Jumpman this year with their move to the Big 12. When OU moves to the SEC, they and Florida will be at least two Jumpman brands in the same conference. So obviously, more than one school in each conference can now get the brand.
He said "obviously that is changing with conference realignment" right next to what you bolded.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
He said "obviously that is changing with conference realignment" right next to what you bolded.
Fair.

He also says Nike "doesn't have current plans" to add anyone to the current Jumpman roster. I just don't know that that matters much, given the expiration of UT's contract is in June. That could be negotiated between now and then.

Fair.

He also says Nike "doesn't have current plans" to add anyone to the current Jumpman roster. I just don't know that that matters much, given the expiration of UT's contract is in June. That could be negotiated between now and then.
UT’s contract does not expire in June. It expires in June 2026.

Like I said, conference realignment took the lone Jordan schools in a couple of conferences and added them to existing conferences, which has created some contractual issues for everyone involved. Florida and Michigan have a stipulation in their deals that says Nike can’t SIGN any other conference team to a Jordan deal. So they’re getting around that because the conferences changed, not the contracts. But when those deals come up for renewal, there’s going to be an issue.

For clarity's sake, Cincinnati’s deal is technically with BSN Sports, not Nike/Jordan. They wear Jordan products in basketball and Nike in all other sports, but everything runs through BSN, not Nike. Cal has a similar arrangement. BSN pays the rights fees to the schools.

UT’s contract does not expire in June. It expires in June 2026.

Like I said, conference realignment took the lone Jordan schools in a couple of conferences and added them to existing conferences, which has created some contractual issues for everyone involved. Florida and Michigan have a stipulation in their deals that says Nike can’t SIGN any other conference team to a Jordan deal. So they’re getting around that because the conferences changed, not the contracts. But when those deals come up for renewal, there’s going to be an issue.

For clarity's sake, Cincinnati’s deal is technically with BSN Sports, not Nike/Jordan. They wear Jordan products in basketball and Nike in all other sports, but everything runs through BSN, not Nike. Cal has a similar arrangement. BSN pays the rights fees to the schools.
Thanks for all of that information.

The BSN thing is interesting. I'm guessing that will be the workaround with the "can't sign other conference schools" stipulation. Nike/Jordan won't sign them, BSN (or someone like them) will. That's my guess. That, or Nike/Jordan pays them a fee to waive the clause.

Perhaps that was the purpose of the BSN involvement to begin with? Oklahoma is still in the Big 12 and Cincinnati began its B12 membership concurrent with becoming a Jumpman school. So maybe that was the workaround?

Both most likely picked middle of the road or near the bottom of the SEC this coming year. Jordan Brand not exactly killing it in the SEC. Or the ACC w/ UNC . Or the Big 12. B1G now has UCLA who sucks. Michigan obviously just won a title, but they didn’t recruit at a high clip, it was more about player development.

I’m not sure the making the switch to Jumpman would be the massive upgrade everyone seems to think it would be.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Thanks for all of that information.

The BSN thing is interesting. I'm guessing that will be the workaround with the "can't sign other conference schools" stipulation. Nike/Jordan won't sign them, BSN (or someone like them) will. That's my guess. That, or Nike/Jordan pays them a fee to waive the clause.

Perhaps that was the purpose of the BSN involvement to begin with? Oklahoma is still in the Big 12 and Cincinnati began its B12 membership concurrent with becoming a Jumpman school. So maybe that was the workaround?
No, the BSN angle is that the schools get to order gear at half price and BSN gets to promote to its clients that it handles the apparel contract for major universities. They ended up signing deals with BSN to be outfitted in Nike because Nike and adidas did not offer them a contract directly. It’s not a “workaround,” it’s a school coming up with the best solution when they weren’t offered a deal.

The Nike portion of it is that Nike can sell licensed gear for those schools, but assumes none of the risk of a usual supplier contract.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
The jersey part of the deal is less significant. Jordan footwear on the other hand is far superior on every front. It’s what every recruit/player wants on their feet. Getting a Jordan deal would be huge for the program!

I was all for switching to Nike and this was one of the reasons but mainly because Nike had better equipment than Adidas and that's what recruits liked. The equipment will be the exact same with a different logo going to Jordan.
But, having the Jordan logo hit's differently. It's a psychological thing. IT also has other upgrades inherent. If you buy a Lincoln over a Ford, an Infiniti over a Nissan, Lexus over Toyota, audio over Volkswagen, Lexus over toyota.. you get more than just a skin. There are inherent bells and whistles, better support that comes with the uptick in price. We go from being a Mercedes to being a Maybach in the eyes of recruits.

Reactions: volfaninky

VN Store

Back