Is Peyton The GOAT

As an aside, if the opposition doesn't **** the bed in Brady's last two SB appearances, I think only the biggest Brady fanboys would be arguing he's had the better career than Manning. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I also personally think that SB wins are overvalued in the minds of many when comparing players. The team as a whole is incredibly important in winning a ring, and I don't think it makes sense to give it too much weight in a discussion of which player is better than the other.

So Tom Brady played against an all time great Seattle defense. And the Pats were down by 10 in the 4th. That should have been game over. But what happened? He absolutely carved Seattle up, Seattle didn't lose that SB. The Pats won it.

I hate Tom Brady. But to deny ANY of his accomplishments for ANY reason just shows idiocy.

I never understood why one particular professional athlete has to be nicknamed the "GOAT" in a certain sport? Why can't they all just be great players from different eras in their own way? Seems more simple to me.

Brady, Montana, and Manning are all great NFL QBs who deserve respect whether you're a fan of them or not.

Reactions: 1 person
So Tom Brady played against an all time great Seattle defense. And the Pats were down by 10 in the 4th. That should have been game over. But what happened? He absolutely carved Seattle up, Seattle didn't lose that SB. The Pats won it.

I hate Tom Brady. But to deny ANY of his accomplishments for ANY reason just shows idiocy.

I didn't deny any of his accomplishments, and I wasn't trying to diminish them either. I'll agree to disagree that Seattle didn't do some dumb things (on both sides of the ball) that some would consider choking. I am aware that Brady led the comeback and he should get all of the respect he deserves for doing his part.

I notice you didn't mention the Atlanta game, but again, I think the Falcons had every opportunity to put the game away, but did some really bone headed stuff to give the Patriots a chance. Once again, Brady should be commended for leading the comeback. As I said in my post you responded to that was just my opinion, and I don't think the number of SB rings is very important in the debate anyway.

Nope.

I love PM just as much as any other vol fan. But the argument that he is better than Brady in the NFL is filled with couldas and wouldas. Manning set alot of records and thats great. The super bowl with two teams is nice, but being honest, their defense won the second. Brady is the most dominate player on the field and has been for a while. Sorry fellas, Brady is better.

And id have to go Tebow over Manning for best college qb.

Last edited:
Nope.

I love PM just as much as any other bol fan. But the argument that he is better than Brady in the NFL is filled with couldas and wouldas. Manning set alot of records and thats great. The super bowl with two teams is nice, but being honest, their defense won the second. Brady is the most dominate player on the field and has been for a while. Sorry fellas, Brady is better.

And id have to go Tebow over Manning for best college qb.

*Vol

Reactions: 3 people
That's cool.

I made the argument that his teammates are exactly why I would give the nod to Brady.

I, personally, think Brady has played with a bunch of turds. There isn't a QB who has every played the game (in the GOAT discussion) that has consistently played with the pile of trash that he has on the offensive side of the ball.

Randy Moss (briefly) and Gronk. Those are the only two dudes who have lined up with Brady that actually caused any concern for a defensive coordinator.

Furthermore, why are his teams better?

In Manning's career at Tennessee, were Florida's teams better? What do we judge that on? We judge that based on the fact that Florida won. If Tennessee won, we'd say Tennessee is better.

I don't see a damn thing special about the last 2 Patriot teams to win the Super Bowl. Absolutely nothing impressive about that roster.

That's cool.

I couldn't disagree more about the talent that Brady has played with. I've never even heard of anyone else who thinks Brady has been playing with a bunch of slaw players his whole career. This completely ignores the other things that have attributed to his success, like the coaching and franchise as a whole. You asked what makes a team better than the other and said (or strongly implied) that you know who the better team is because they beat the other team. First, you know that is not always the case (yes, those Florida teams were better than the Vols) so I don't think it's wise to say that you only know which team is better because they won the game. Second, I thought I already explained why I think, generally speaking over the course of their careers, Brady's teams were better, but I'll elaborate. Overall surrounding talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Superior coaching and front office. Even if we concede talent on the offensive side of the ball is in favor of Manning, I still believe the overall advantage is pretty clearly in favor of Brady. If you disagree, that's fine.

ETA: Another reason for my belief that Brady has played on better teams is that each time he's missed games for injury or suspension his team has continued to win games with QBs that have proven to be hot garbage.

Also, there has been more than one incident, that we know of, where the Patriots have broken the rules to gain a competitive advantage. Perhaps they've been caught every single time they've cheated, and I won't speculate about what else may have occurred that they didn't get caught for, but at the very least we know the Patriots have broken the rules at least twice during Brady's tenure to gain a competitive advantage.

Last edited:
Here's a question....if you have the #1 pick, who do you take (knowing what we know now). I think I go Elway.

That's cool.

I couldn't disagree more about the talent that Brady has played with. I've never even heard of anyone else who thinks Brady has been playing with a bunch of slaw players his whole career. This completely ignores the other things that have attributed to his success, like the coaching and franchise as a whole. You asked what makes a team better than the other and said (or strongly implied) that you know who the better team is because they beat the other team. First, you know that is not always the case (yes, those Florida teams were better than the Vols) so I don't think it's wise to say that you only know which team is better because they won the game. Second, I thought I already explained why I think, generally speaking over the course of their careers, Brady's teams were better, but I'll elaborate. Overall surrounding talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Superior coaching and front office. Even if we concede talent on the offensive side of the ball is in favor of Manning, I still believe the overall advantage is pretty clearly in favor of Brady. If you disagree, that's fine.

ETA: Another reason for my belief that Brady has played on better teams is that each time he's missed games for injury or suspension his team has continued to win games with QBs that have proven to be hot garbage.

Also, there has been more than one incident, that we know of, where the Patriots have broken the rules to gain a competitive advantage. Perhaps they've been caught every single time they've cheated, and I won't speculate about what else may have occurred that they didn't get caught for, but at the very least we know the Patriots have broken the rules at least twice during Brady's tenure to gain a competitive advantage.

The supporting cast has been discussed and is now starting to get recognized for what it has been. It's part of the reason Belichik is now considered in a class by himself as a coach. The Super Bowl team that beat the Seahawks the leader in sacks was Rob Ninkovich. Last year, it was Trey Flowers.

I mean, from afar, it's like they are trying to see how ****** they can make their roster and still compete for a title. They up and traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins during the season. At 39 years old, they gave Brady a WR corps of Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, and Malcolm Mitchell. Their RB, Blount, they picked up on a waiver wire midseason (dk which year). Did you ever hear of James White? I didn't.

Brady has thrown TD passes in the Super Bowl to David Patten, Deion Branch, Robert Givens, Mike Vrabel, Randy Moss, Danny Woodhead, Aaron Hernandez, Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Lafell and James White.

Go research the Patriots during the Brady years and see how often they go get weapons for Brady. I fainted when they traded for Brandin Cooks.

Here's a video with Herm Edwards and Donovan McNabb

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Cu0Xw6AeA[/youtube]

Edit: regarding the better team...I used that as an example because the standard excuse for why a Peyton Manning team did not win is because the other team is better. It was always somebody else. Peyton never played a part in his team losing. And for Brady, the success that his team has enjoyed is always because he is playing for this unbelievably loaded squad. Well, I disagree on both counts. There are occasions where a Peyton Manning team lost because Peyton did not play like Peyton. That's not me bashing Peyton, he's human. There have been several occasions where the Patriots won because Brady made everyone around him better and not the other way around.

Last edited:
I'd take the guy who threw almost as many career NFL TD passes as John Elway and Joe Montana combined.

Peyton is from a different era and had better WR's than Elway.

No question, Elway is the best talent of all the guys in the GOAT conversation. He was the most mobile, he was the strongest, and had the strongest arm.

No question, Elway is the best talent of all the guys in the GOAT conversation. He was the most mobile, he was the strongest, and had the strongest arm.

Favre had a stronger arm.

He was also drafted by the Yankees. Ahead of Tony Gwynn

Joke of a thread. Just bored and trying to strum up lackluster debate. Anyone who thinks Manning is better than Brady has never played organized team sports. You don't play for personal stats, you play for team victories. What a dumb thread that seems to surface every 6 months after a wikipedia binge.

Joke of a thread. Just bored and trying to strum up lackluster debate. Anyone who thinks Manning is better than Brady has never played organized team sports. You don't play for personal stats, you play for team victories. What a dumb thread that seems to surface every 6 months after a wikipedia binge.

Trent Difler has a ring, hell Big Ben has the worst QB rating of a SB winning QB IIRC.

Yes it's a team sport, but with that, you have to rely on the rest of the team for the victory as well. You can argue it all day until you're blue in the face, no one is likely to change their opinion

Thanks for settling the argument once and for all. Next time try not to make us all wait so long.

Reactions: 2 people
Right.

"Joke of a thread, dumb thread."
..but let me give you my 2 cents while I'm in this dumb thread, by choice.

Haha.

And not even bother to try to make a reasoned argument to support his opinion. Way to show us all how it's done.

VN Store

Back