Is Diamond injured ?

Don't think for a moment that that is true.
I saw both of them play. DD played for Norcross. Maya for Collins Hill. They are about 30 minutes from each other (or 2 hours "atlanta traffic" time). I saw both of them in AAU and both play HS ball. Maya was a highly visible role model for DD. Played for the GA Metros. An org that came out of nowhere and bloomed. DD has all the skills Maya does, but not that innate "something" that Maya has..., It will have to be coached out of DD. . . I have seen DD at her best and most confident. I know what can be gotten out of this girl. It is amazing what she CAN do.

Moore can run circles around DD. Moore is a game changer. A reason for a NC like Parker and Holdsclaw. DD is not in their league.

Reactions: 4 people
Moore can run circles around DD. Moore is a game changer. A reason for a NC like Parker and Holdsclaw. DD is not in their league.

I won't argue with you as to the heart and drive of Moore being way ahead of DD....But DD is actually more versatile in skills and she has a more defined athletic body.

What separate's these two is the ability to "self-govern"

Reactions: 1 person
Moore and Parker are great regardless. Both made their team better. Leaders that played with passion and fire.

You put the right influence with DD and she joins this elite group.
If you coach her “scared” she will eat you up.
And I am not the only one to see this in her.
There is a panel of national writers who also see this and put her in a class by herself in pre-season.

A couple of workouts with her, Coach HW, and I will give you the athlete you thought you were getting!

You put the right influence with DD and she joins this elite group.
If you coach her “scared” she will eat you up.
And I am not the only one to see this in her.
There is a panel of national writers who also see this and put her in a class by herself in pre-season.

A couple of workouts with her, Coach HW, and I will give you the athlete you thought you were getting!

Coach I appreciate your perspective. I haven't seen a flash of DD being in a class by herself. I think she's vastly overrated.

Reactions: 3 people
Coach I appreciate your perspective. I haven't seen a flash of DD being in a class by herself. I think she's vastly overrated.

It seems to me that comments that rank DD alongside, or maybe even ahead of, someone like Maya Moore are inevitably accompanied by some sort of "if only": if only she had better coaching, if only her teammates could catch her passes, if only the offense were more suited to her skills, and so on. But she has now been a collegiate player for 2+ seasons and a redshirt for a third, and at some point I think one has to wonder whether the player who is supposed to be another Maya Moore or Candice Parker will ever show up on the court with any consistency. I also think that DD has to take at least some responsibility for choosing who is doing the coaching and the (lack of) results that have followed. The truly transcendent players of the past two decades (Holdsclaw, Catchings, Taurasi, Parker, Moore, Stewart, etc.) chose to challenge themselves because they believed that would make them better, and they were right. No one forced DD to choose Hatchell and then Holly. But she did, and the results are plain enough.

Reactions: 2 people
The team shot 39% primarily against man defense and only scored 59 points. Diamond took the most shots on the team (she is a volume shooter) but only shot 29%. The rest of the team shot 43%. The team would have been better served if she let someone else shoot (meaning someone who can get the ball through the basket at a higher clip). A win is a win, but Diamond has to get her teammates involved, especially since they all shoot so much better than she does.

+1 DD is a me player not a team player. But Holly can't organize an Offensive game plan so she has bo choice to let DD do her thang and not hold her accountable when she doesn't

+1 DD is a me player not a team player. But Holly can't organize an Offensive game plan so she has bo choice to let DD do her thang and not hold her accountable when she doesn't

I have seen these comments abut Diamond on several occasions. I an only think that the people who make these statements are not watching the games, or, if they are, are doing so through blinders when it comes to Diamond Deshields.

Does Diamond have problems, sure. She, in my opinion, lets her emotions take control too often to her detriment and she starts "forcing" too much if the team is not performing well. However, to suggest that she is selfish or doesn't want, or try, to get her teammates involved is to ignore reality! Diamond is currently tied with Jordan Reynolds for the most assists on the team in the current season. She was second on the team in assists (behind only Jordan Reynolds - 89) with 82 last season. And these numbers would be significantly higher, in my opinion, if her teammates were able to corral some of the passes that she routinely attempts!

One does not continue to be one of the team leaders in assists by being "selfish" and a "me first" player!

Jim

Reactions: 9 people
I have seen these comments abut Diamond on several occasions. I an only think that the people who make these statements are not watching the games, or, if they are, are doing so through blinders when it comes to Diamond Deshields.

Does Diamond have problems, sure. She, in my opinion, lets her emotions take control too often to her detriment and she starts "forcing" too much if the team is not performing well. However, to suggest that she is selfish or doesn't want, or try, to get her teammates involved is to ignore reality! Diamond is currently tied with Jordan Reynolds for the most assists on the team in the current season. She was second on the team in assists (behind only Jordan Reynolds - 89) with 82 last season. And these numbers would be significantly higher, in my opinion, if her teammates were able to corral some of the passes that she routinely attempts!

One does not continue to be one of the team leaders in assists by being "selfish" and a "me first" player!

Jim

I am with you 100%. But, it appears that nothing that Diamond does on the court or any facts that are elicited on this board will disabuse some posters from this idea that Diamond is a selfish player. Owing to her background, I think people have typed her as "the spoiled rich kid" and that is that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Diamond may haven't been our go to scorer consistently but she rebounds and play defense with intensity so I'm not sure what she is criticized so much either.

Reactions: 2 people

Jim

Exactly! Well said Jim!

i HAVE NEVER CALLED HER A SPOILED RICH KID EITHER.
I simply state that DD will only perform consistently with a certain style of coaching.

Jumper, this may be hard for you to realize, but it ain't always about YOU. You are not of the anti-Diamond crowd and hence my comment in no way referred to you.

MTV

Jim
Thank you so much for this comment, some of her errors are because she is trying to get the ball to teammates. I wonder why so many want to criticize her so much. Obviously her job on the team is to score, her teammates look for her to do so.

Is that true, though? Is her job primarily to score, or primarily to shoot? She puts up a LOT of shots, but scores on-what-less than half? Her offense seems to be to set up rebounds and scoring opportunities for others, as much as any scoring of points she does.

The problem has been that frequently no one has stepped up, nay, been in position to rebound and score.

Seems to me, anyway.

Last edited:
I won't argue with you as to the heart and drive of Moore being way ahead of DD....But DD is actually more versatile in skills and she has a more defined athletic body.

What separate's these two is the ability to "self-govern"

Guys, from what I've seen, CJ's analysis of DD is spot-on.

Is that true, though? Is her job primarily to score, or primarily to shoot? She puts up a LOT of shots, but scores on-what-less than half? Her offense seems to be to set up rebounds and scoring opportunities for others, as much as any scoring of points she does.

The problem has been that frequently no one has stepped up, nay, been in position to rebound and score.

Seems to me, anyway.

Remember that the only players making over 50% of their shots are post players. DD's FG% is actually good except for 3's.

Remember that the only players making over 50% of their shots are post players. DD's FG% is actually good except for 3's.

Diamond shoots 37% from beyond the arc, which is actually a very good clip. Her 40% overall could use some improvement to about 45%, but I agree with the sentiments on this thread about how she is looking to get her teammates involved as much as she is looking to score.

Diamond may haven't been our go to scorer consistently but she rebounds and play defense with intensity so I'm not sure what she is criticized so much either.

Because she was billed as the next Lady Vol great a la Holdsclaw and Parker who would lead the program back to excellence, and it's clear by now she will never be that player. It's obvious those expectations were unfair to Diamond, but she could help herself by talking more about team goals and maybe less of the ''I definitely want to be player of the year – SEC and national player of the year. Whatever player of the year honors there are to get, I want it all." Does anyone really think Maya Moore obsessed about individual awards?

Reactions: 8 people
Because she was billed as the next Lady Vol great a la Holdsclaw and Parker who would lead the program back to excellence, and it's clear by now she will never be that player. It's obvious those expectations were unfair to Diamond, but she could help herself by talking more about team goals and maybe less of the ''I definitely want to be player of the year – SEC and national player of the year. Whatever player of the year honors there are to get, I want it all." Does anyone really think Maya Moore obsessed about individual awards?

Most likely Maya had those same goals but was more media savvy and knew to always talk "team first" in the presence of the media. It reminds of the world of professional soccer where Ronaldo is the bad guy for saying he wants to be the highest paid player in the world but Messi is the good guy because he never speaks of such matters-- the his team Barcelona announced that when he resigns, he will be the highest paid player in the world (i.e., Messi lets his agent do the talking for him but he is no less concerned about such matters than "selfish" Ronaldo).

Individual goals and team goals are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure Maya Moore cared a lot about individual awards. Any player who says they don't is lying.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back