Is Diamond injured ?

With diamond out 2 games we are down to 8 or maybe 7 depending on the status of Dunbar. I wonder if we play zone more the next two games.

I hope it only 2 games, will be at the Wednesday game, hope to here more then.

It seems as though no matter what either do (Holly or DD) they will always be hated....Diamond had some key defensive stops (Block, Rebound, & steal) late in the game that saved us, she also make some key shots and passes when it seem like we were about to give the game away.....

A competitor is what she is a selfish player is what she is not! She wants to win and doesn't understand why they aren't, yesterday showed what we can do when we come to play! I think this is the start of something and I hope it continues!

We better dominate Troy and UNC-Willimgton without her, because she does a lot that many of you dont see (as she is really the player most teams scout to stop on this team)

Good post, lindsay.

Reactions: 1 person
I am mystified that there is as much negative Diamond sentiment expressed on this board. I will preface that I am sure the vast majority of LV nation are thrilled to have DD on the team.

But the naysayers, I really think they are overreacting to Diamond's facial expression. One common complaint is that she "pouts" too much; Diamond is not pouting on the court; Her serious face, owing to the structure of her lips, looks like pouting. She is a very pretty gal but she does have a pouty expression, when she is not smiling. But that expression does not indicate what her actual emotional state is. Everything about her actions as a player signals, that she is a team player.

I just want DD to start finish the easy shots she creates for herself. Her shooting % and sometimes trying to force passes are her only negatives against a lot of positives.

Agree with you. I believe DD is our best player. Often misunderstood as selfish. Think she would do better to be more "selfish" sometimes.

Reactions: 3 people
Resting b!tch face. Same with Jaime Nared. I don't think either of them have as much of an attitude as people have been attributing to them.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with you. I believe DD is our best player. Often misunderstood as selfish. Think she would do better to be more "selfish" sometimes.

She just needs the right influence.
I saw DD play in AAU in 07-08-09 at 13-14-15.

She could put a team on her shoulders and keep them there indefinitely.
I believe the right influence can get this out of her consistently again.
I just hope it doesn't take her going to the WNBA to get that influence.

HW and staff can get it sometimes. The right person can get it every time.

DD is not a selfish player. Her problem is that she doesn't play hard all the time--doesn't give 100 percent effort all the time. When she does, she is an excellent defender, but she has a tendency to swan around at times--certainly did that a lot last year; haven't see as much of it this year, and didn't see it at all against Stanford, which is one reason we won. DD's other problem is that she simply doesn't shoot well enough. She can get a good shot any time she wants, but she doesn't make enough shots. That three-point shot she made with 3:20 to go against Stanford was huge--won the game; had she missed it, the game might have been very tight indeed. But she also missed at least two shots very late in the game and I think had another one blocked. She is inconsistent and simply hasn't played well enough for this team. Of course there are many other issues, but her play has been one of them.

DD is not a selfish player. Her problem is that she doesn't play hard all the time--doesn't give 100 percent effort all the time. When she does, she is an excellent defender, but she has a tendency to swan around at times--certainly did that a lot last year; haven't see as much of it this year, and didn't see it at all against Stanford, which is one reason we won. DD's other problem is that she simply doesn't shoot well enough. She can get a good shot any time she wants, but she doesn't make enough shots. That three-point shot she made with 3:20 to go against Stanford was huge--won the game; had she missed it, the game might have been very tight indeed. But she also missed at least two shots very late in the game and I think had another one blocked. She is inconsistent and simply hasn't played well enough for this team. Of course there are many other issues, but her play has been one of them.

DD simply needs a constant coaching influence.
Look at what a few words from Jollette did last year at playoff time.
The trouble is, Jollette backed off and no one has taken the mantle.

DD was coached by some great AAU coaches in ATL.
But they were in your face, demanding coaches.
Coaches that would complement her if she played well and scold her if she didnÂ’t.
Coaches that would NEVER let her walk to the bench after a “frustration” turnover or foul, without reading her the riot act, right there right then.
Some girls respond to this type of influence, some donÂ’t
DD does.
And she is not getting this at UT and I venture to guess, she didnÂ’t at UNC either.
+++++++++++
I could have 1 or 2 workouts with DD and could change her whole collegiate experience. She needs that influence to excel.

DD simply needs a constant coaching influence.
Look at what a few words from Jollette did last year at playoff time.
The trouble is, Jollette backed off and no one has taken the mantle.

DD was coached by some great AAU coaches in ATL.
But they were in your face, demanding coaches.
Coaches that would complement her if she played well and scold her if she didnÂ’t.
Coaches that would NEVER let her walk to the bench after a “frustration” turnover or foul, without reading her the riot act, right there right then.
Some girls respond to this type of influence, some donÂ’t
DD does.
And she is not getting this at UT and I venture to guess, she didnÂ’t at UNC either.
+++++++++++
I could have 1 or 2 workouts with DD and could change her whole collegiate experience. She needs that influence to excel.

Given all of this, it's puzzling to me that DD chose North Carolina in the first place. Hatchell is not, as far as I know, a coach who is all that demanding. In fact, I seem to remember DD herself saying that she went to NC because they would allow her to play her own game there without any (or with minimal) interference. And surely she must have known that Holly isn't an "in your face" kind of coach as well. To me--assuming I am not misremembering DD's comments about choosing NC--this suggests that DD is her own worst enemy--at least to the extent of not knowing (or forgetting) what she needs to fulfill her extraordinary potential. Or perhaps she's not been getting the advice she needs from persons she trusts. Either way, that's very sad imo.

Given all of this, it's puzzling to me that DD chose North Carolina in the first place. Hatchell is not, as far as I know, a coach who is all that demanding. In fact, I seem to remember DD herself saying that she went to NC because they would allow her to play her own game there without any (or with minimal) interference. And surely she must have known that Holly isn't an "in your face" kind of coach as well. To me--assuming I am not misremembering DD's comments about choosing NC--this suggests that DD is her own worst enemy--at least to the extent of not knowing (or forgetting) what she needs to fulfill her extraordinary potential. Or perhaps she's not been getting the advice she needs from persons she trusts. Either way, that's very sad imo.

How many people who you know that will ask for what they need over what they want?
It takes a very strong and unusual person to ask for direction.
IÂ’m not saying DD needs constant in your face coaching.
Most of the time she simply needs encouragement, but when she does need it and does not get it, she is like any child who goes without correction.

I fashion my coaching after Geno. (I have to, he is the most successful “male who coaches females”).
Geno is loved first and foremost and then feared a distant second.
He is the Daddy some of the girls never had, both in loving them and correcting and navigating them.
This is the approach that works with an athlete like DD.
First you get their respect and admiration, then you keep it by making the right calls and choices.

But if it IS an athlete that can't make the best decisions for herself, you rarely let her have a moment to plan her own path until she can. And you have to be able to see her venturing off the grid before she ventures off the grid.

The test for a coach with an athlete like DD is to be able to read them, as they are self-trained in their ability to hide their true emotions.
Proof is to watch her in a game.
She has the same face and persona when she is on-fire and torching the place, as she has when she is a million miles away and turning the ball over or throwing it away because she is frustrated..
It is up to the coach of such an athlete to be able to read between the lines.

And you can say, but she is a full grown woman who should be able to control her emotions if you want to...But she is not....Every coach, bad or good, refers to their players as kids.

Holly does.
Geno does.
Pat did.
And I do.

Because, they are, kids.

DD went to North Carolina because there was a group of girls that wanted to play together and NC was the only school that was recruiting all the girls, they had to release some other girls that had commited to NC, the Day sisters was some of them, they went to Syracuse university.

Thanks to governmentmule for the post game presser link. Sounds like DD's thumb injury is not that bad and the coaches are just being careful to give it a chance to heal.

This is a very good analysis of DeShields. She need to give 100% effort all the time. Also, she need to concentrate on getting good shots. She can get a good shot anytime she wants, as you stated.

DD choice of coaches should not be puzzling. She chooses the coaches that will not be hard on her. DD has the skillset of a Maya Moore. However, she does not like to be pushed like Maya wanted to be pushed (Although Maya did not need pushing). As you stated, DD is her own worst enemy. She, unlike Maya, needs to be pushed.

DD choice of coaches should not be puzzling. She chooses the coaches that will not be hard on her. DD has the skillset of a Maya Moore. However, she does not like to be pushed like Maya wanted to be pushed (Although Maya did not need pushing). As you stated, DD is her own worst enemy. She, unlike Maya, needs to be pushed.

Diamond is not nearly as gifted as Maya Moore.

Diamond is not nearly as gifted as Maya Moore.

Don't think for a moment that that is true.
I saw both of them play. DD played for Norcross. Maya for Collins Hill. They are about 30 minutes from each other (or 2 hours "atlanta traffic" time). I saw both of them in AAU and both play HS ball. Maya was a highly visible role model for DD. Played for the GA Metros. An org that came out of nowhere and bloomed. DD has all the skills Maya does, but not that innate "something" that Maya has..., It will have to be coached out of DD. . . I have seen DD at her best and most confident. I know what can be gotten out of this girl. It is amazing what she CAN do.

Don't think for a moment that that is true.
I saw both of them play. DD played for Norcross. Maya for Collins Hill. They are about 30 minutes from each other (or 2 hours "atlanta traffic" time). I saw both of them in AAU and both play HS ball. Maya was a highly visible role model for DD. Played for the GA Metros. An org that came out of nowhere and bloomed. DD has all the skills Maya does, but not that innate "something" that Maya has..., It will have to be coached out of DD. . . I have seen DD at her best and most confident. I know what can be gotten out of this girl. It is amazing what she CAN do.

In terms of athleticism, Diamond matches up with the very best in terms of speed, jumping ability, agility, change of pace. She may be the second or third best athlete the vols have ever had. Glory Johnson had track star speed and jumping ability and more upper body strength. I can't think of anyone else I would clearly put ahead of DD (maybe Candace or Catching but we are in elite company).

DD has excellent ball skills, good court vision, and passing acumen.

The big, obvious differences between Maya and DD are 1) Maya was a better shot. DD creates lots of open shots but is not finishing at a high enough % and 2) going along with the missing intangible idea, Maya lived for the big moments and stayed calm under pressure. Sometimes it looks like DD starts pressing too hard or thinking too much and feeling the pressure, though she did hit a clutch shot against Stanford.....

Last edited:
In terms of athleticism, Diamond matches up with the very best in terms of speed, jumping ability, agility, change of pace. She may be the second or third best athlete the vols have ever had. Glory Johnson had track star speed and jumping ability and more upper body strength. I can't think of anyone else I would clearly put ahead of DD (maybe Candace or Catching but were are elite territory).

DD has excellent ball skills, good court vision, and passing acumen.

The big, obvious differences between Maya and DD are 1) Maya was a better shot. DD creates lots of open shots but is not finishing at a high enough %. and 2) going along the missing intangible, Maya lived for the big moments and stayed calm under pressure. Sometimes it looks like DD starts pressing too hard or thinking too much and feeling the pressure, though she did hit a clutch shot against Stanford.....

I agree with your DD / Maya analysis.

Resting b!tch face. Same with Jaime Nared. I don't think either of them have as much of an attitude as people have been attributing to them.

Nared has emotion and fire and it shows. DD doesn't lead or show emotion. It reflects in her game.

VN Store

Back