Is Anfernee Simons still happening?

Oh I agree, but as I laid out last week there’s just not anyone that makes sense AND who has a great situation to do so. Fulk and Johnson already using RS years makes them less unlikely to, Darrington only having 1 year left makes it unlikely for him. Kent seems like the most likely based on eligibility but not sure he agrees to the redshirt if he was thinking about leaving.

Is Darrington originally a 3 to play 2 guy?

I still think we could see Johnson or Kent go JUCO. I don’t see much PT for Johnson next year.

Reactions: 1 person
Is Darrington originally a 3 to play 2 guy?

I still think we could see Johnson or Kent go JUCO. I don’t see much PT for Johnson next year.

Yes on Darrington, so now he would have to sit 1 to play 1...doesn’t seem like a very appealing situation to him or another school.

That’s possible on Johnson, however he effectively would’ve used 3 years and not have played any D1 ball...would be going somewhere as a RS JR with 2 years remaining, maybe he would be willing to.

A lot of it is just how patient are guys willing to be...Fulk & Kent you can sell on PT after next season with Admiral and Alexander leaving. Johnson you can sell on getting some wing minutes this year with Daniel gone and a bigger role the following year with Darrington and Admiral gone. The unknown is are those guys willing to wait another year or would they rather spend that year playing at a JUCO or sitting out at another school?

Oh I agree, but as I laid out last week there’s just not anyone that makes sense AND who has a great situation to do so. Fulk and Johnson already using RS years makes them less unlikely to, Darrington only having 1 year left makes it unlikely for him. Kent seems like the most likely based on eligibility but not sure he agrees to the redshirt if he was thinking about leaving.

Kent agreeing to the RS wouldn't seem to affect his decision to transfer. Either he takes the RS this year and doesn't play, or he saves it, and just doesn't play because he's 13th on the depth chart. In either case, he loses a year and will still have 3 years at his next stop, if he chose to transfer today.

Kent agreeing to the RS wouldn't seem to affect his decision to transfer. Either he takes the RS this year and doesn't play, or he saves it, and just doesn't play because he's 13th on the depth chart. In either case, he loses a year and will still have 3 years at his next stop, if he chose to transfer today.

I think you’d have seen him get some minutes especially earlier in the year if he elected no to redshirt...then we had games that Walker missed and some Fulk missed he likely would’ve appeared in.

There’s no point in him redshirting if he thinks he’s gonna transfer, either way he loses 2 years...he 100% has no chance of playing at all if he transfers and sits out a year, he at least had a chance to see minutes this year at Tennessee had he not redshirted.

I think you’d have seen him get some minutes especially earlier in the year if he elected no to redshirt...then we had games that Walker missed and some Fulk missed he likely would’ve appeared in.

There’s no point in him redshirting if he thinks he’s gonna transfer, either way he loses 2 years...he 100% has no chance of playing at all if he transfers and sits out a year, he at least had a chance to see minutes this year at Tennessee had he not redshirted.

But the minutes he'd have seen would have been scarce and meaningless. He wouldn't have played 100 minutes all year if he wasn't redshirting. So, he may have lost an average of 3-4 mpg. No big loss there, IMO, if he is able to move on somewhere else and be a 20 mpg kinda guy.

But the minutes he'd have seen would have been scarce and meaningless. He wouldn't have played 100 minutes all year if he wasn't redshirting. So, he may have lost an average of 3-4 mpg. No big loss there, IMO, if he is able to move on somewhere else and be a 20 mpg kinda guy.

If given the choice to sit 2 years and play 0 minutes total, or play 90 minutes 1 year and sit the next year I’m guessing every single person takes the option where you play.

If given the choice to sit 2 years and play 0 minutes total, or play 90 minutes 1 year and sit the next year I’m guessing every single person takes the option where you play.

Well yeah, that's stating the obvious, but akin to saying that having 1 penny is better than being flat broke. In either case, you aren't left with much.

Well yeah, that's stating the obvious, but akin to saying that having 1 penny is better than being flat broke. In either case, you aren't left with much.

Again I agree, but I don’t think you’d see a kid pick that route...I’m not sure there’s been a whole lot of examples of a kid transferring immediately after their redshirt year...definitely not nearly as many that play a year and then transfer and use their redshirt year.

Again I agree, but I don’t think you’d see a kid pick that route...I’m not sure there’s been a whole lot of examples of a kid transferring immediately after their redshirt year...definitely not nearly as many that play a year and then transfer and use their redshirt year.

I'm not suggesting it would be his choice to do that, just that the net effect would be the same. In either case, he'd still have 3 years to play 3 as a rSO at his new school, and have little to zero playing experience.

Hmm...was this Barnes or one of his assistants? Or just a graduate assistant/video type? That would go against everything everyone else is saying and doesn’t lineup with the evidence either.
This was an assistant. He mentioned wanting to have someone that could create for themselves if the clock is winding down and we need a bucket. I don't know if he is saying they are just exclusively looking at JUCOs or Grad transfers, it felt like it was going that way. He talked about building relationships with sophomores and up. Also, the staff isn't anticipating anyone leaving, but he was like "you never know." You could tell he didn't want anyone to leave.

This was an assistant. He mentioned wanting to have someone that could create for themselves if the clock is winding down and we need a bucket. I don't know if he is saying they are just exclusively looking at JUCOs or Grad transfers, it felt like it was going that way. He talked about building relationships with sophomores and up. Also, the staff isn't anticipating anyone leaving, but he was like "you never know." You could tell he didn't want anyone to leave.

Hmmm, that would be interesting, maybe he’s trying to throw you off lol. There’s been multiple grad transfer guys already come available who got that description and Tennessee hasn’t been mentioned with any of them. Similarly there are only 2/3 JUCO guys who seemingly would be options and none of them have been mentioned with Tennessee either. All I have seen of late is Tennessee planning to go to Cali to meet with Akinjo and trying to set up a visit with Tyler Harris as well, that’s been it. Honestly JUCO would shock me, Barnes has stayed away from the JUCO’s but finally agreed to adding Darrington, he has done very little and at this point they probably wish they would’ve used that scholarship elsewhere...so going back to the JUCO ranks wouldn’t seem likely to me.

Yes on Darrington, so now he would have to sit 1 to play 1...doesn’t seem like a very appealing situation to him or another school.

That’s possible on Johnson, however he effectively would’ve used 3 years and not have played any D1 ball...would be going somewhere as a RS JR with 2 years remaining, maybe he would be willing to.

A lot of it is just how patient are guys willing to be...Fulk & Kent you can sell on PT after next season with Admiral and Alexander leaving. Johnson you can sell on getting some wing minutes this year with Daniel gone and a bigger role the following year with Darrington and Admiral gone. The unknown is are those guys willing to wait another year or would they rather spend that year playing at a JUCO or sitting out at another school?

I think a few of these guys, with their injury situations, were simply trying/being asked not to make any mistakes on offense this season. Next season, we will see their true potential. This includes Pons, Johnson, and Fulkerson. Johnson may have a lot of game that we simply haven't seen yet.

I think a few of these guys, with their injury situations, were simply trying/being asked not to make any mistakes on offense this season. Next season, we will see their true potential. This includes Pons, Johnson, and Fulkerson. Johnson may have a lot of game that we simply haven't seen yet.

We saw Johnson's explosiveness and high flying act a few times when he got in for some garbage minutes. When he was put in games early (meaningful minutes) his offense looked scripted and not natural for him. It appeared to me that he was pressing to be conservative and to not get benched. But I can't blame CRB. The thing that was working was to feed Williams down low and on offense I don't think of JJ as a pass first player. He's more like a Jordy Mac.

I'm curious if Fulky might consider transfering to Middle Tennessee? I think Pons is gonna end up getting more minutes eventually.

Coach Barnes gave praise to their new head coach... so who knows

VN Store

Back