Interesting quote from Tauren Poole....

I agree, absolutely.
It's just that anytime a losing team makes any move regarding the QB position, there's automatically a controversy.
I really do think that we're making a mountain out of a mow-hill, but with the comments that Jones has made, coupled with the hearsay of a divided team, it's enough to think about.

Personally, I just disagree with the timing. I'm not sure if I'd get Bray early PT against Bama, mid-season, in the midst of the toughest part of the schedule. I'm anxious to see what Bray would do, but I'd rather see him start against Kentucky or Ole Miss. But that's the coaching staff's decision to make.

if he struggles against Bama, it is probably a setback to hopefully getting him late snaps versus Memphis, if we can blow Memphis out. See how he does before deciding how much he might play in succeeding games.

I don't get the sense that they are close to having him start a game. I think that step only happens if Simms gets hurt or Bray plays like Manning 1995... :)

I agree, absolutely.
It's just that anytime a losing team makes any move regarding the QB position, there's automatically a controversy.
I really do think that we're making a mountain out of a mow-hill, but with the comments that Jones has made, coupled with the hearsay of a divided team, it's enough to think about.

Personally, I just disagree with the timing. I'm not sure if I'd get Bray early PT against Bama, mid-season, in the midst of the toughest part of the schedule. I'm anxious to see what Bray would do, but I'd rather see him start against Kentucky or Ole Miss. But that's the coaching staff's decision to make.

What's a mow-hill? is that a hill for lawn mowers? JK I think you mean mole hill.:birgits_giggle:

Simms is still the QB. I hate to see Bray get beaten up so early in his career, but there must be some method in DD's madness. Simms is tough. Let him take the hits at this point. I will defer to DD on this one.

people need to relax a little bit. Poole answered the question the most PC way he could. Get Bray a couple snaps early against one of the best D's in the conference and see how he does to evaluate his progress. He didn't F up too bad against Georgia but they were playing their Base defense.

Give him a series and evaluate.

The timing is bad IMO since it is against BAMA but I leave those decisions to the experts (Dooley) while I sit back and do my Sunday morning QB'ing after the game.

3 years before my judgment is made but I like the philosophy and direction CDD has this team headed in.

He's going to test him to see how he does. He'll most likely see limited possessions and snaps. Bama is going to be one of the better defenses Bray will probably see, so why not get him in and wet his feet a little.

Last edited:
I think we're all trying to make too much out of everything our players are saying. Just forget about it and enjoy the rest of the season so you don't drive yourselves crazy.:crazy:

He going to test him to see how he does. He'll most likely see limited possessions and snaps. Bama is going to be one of the better defenses Bray will probably see, so why not get him in and wet his feet a little.
IMO
Coaches are looking for a spark.
He'll be more than tested against Bama and if he does well he'll start SC.
Call me crazy.

Perception vs Reality. Lots of people struggle with that. All these people bellowing because of the 'timing' of this decision. Oh no, dont do it against Alabama. Poor Bray will get broken in half. Alabama has a very good defense but it is not penetrating defense this year. They have fewer sacks this season than we do. And their secondary is nowhere near as good as it was last season. He has tremendous physical talent and showed against UGA that he might be starting to put the pieces together. He might just give us a chance to score on the possession that he comes in, thus improving our slim chances of winning the game. That's the goal. I mean I think it is anyways.

Georgia rushed five on only about a third of the plays Bray was in (the rest of the time, they only had a four man front), though the defense was hardly trying to go easy on him.

I disagree, Simms is obviously the better QB. I think the problem is that Chaney has too much confidence in him, and over complicates the offense. When Bray came in, he was playing against a 'prevent' defense, and the offense was simplified.

Everyone gets excited about the back up quarterback. The kid has a great arm and was making some pretty accurate throws in their hurry up 2 minute offense. It's hard to judge how good Bray is based on that but it was encouraging. I believe Dooley is just trying to throw a little spark or excitement into the team. Also, it can't hurt Bama to be thinking about another QB that they don't have a lot of film on.

They brought 5 on almost every play he was in. Go back and watch it.

This.

What is everyone so pizzed about...Bray played in a real game, cold off the bench and had an immediate impact. Threw against pressure and looked good.

Man....some of these arguments make no sense. Bray has a quick release and that made his throws look easy...he didn't have to run for his life.

Seems like too many Bray haters around inspite of an impressive showing. Well, I guess we know where this discussion will go if Bray has a pick or a sack next week....stay tuned.

Perception vs Reality. Lots of people struggle with that. All these people bellowing because of the 'timing' of this decision. Oh no, dont do it against Alabama. Poor Bray will get broken in half. Alabama has a very good defense but it is not penetrating defense this year. They have fewer sacks this season than we do. And their secondary is nowhere near as good as it was last season. He has tremendous physical talent and showed against UGA that he might be starting to put the pieces together. He might just give us a chance to score on the possession that he comes in, thus improving our slim chances of winning the game. That's the goal. I mean I think it is anyways.

Thank you for putting this up.

They brought 5 on almost every play he was in. Go back and watch it.

That's usually a rush, not a blitz. But almost every team blitzes less than 20% of the time, meaning that Bray at most would likely have seen only a couple blitzes at most anyway. And the play where he blown up was definitely a blitz.

and the offense was simplified.

the offense has not moved up to the next level past simplified this year. Due to the number of freshman and redshirt/freshman that are on the field, we have stayed really simple all year. that isn't going to change very much until experience of going through a season for all these kids.

They add a few new wrinkles each week but not a lot.. nature of who is playing overall and not just at QB.

I disagree, Simms is obviously the better QB. I think the problem is that Chaney has too much confidence in him, and over complicates the offense. When Bray came in, he was playing against a 'prevent' defense, and the offense was simplified.

I agree. One thing I noticed about Brey was one of his first passes was over the middle. I don't think that is something simms does well. The coaches have simms starting for a reason. Anyway... GBO!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Talent wise Bray is better then Simms, how anyone can think otherwise is beyond me. Simms just has that confidence that Bray NEEDS to be a complete QB1.

I have said this all year, whether Simms or Bray is in their we would be no better off, we are 2-4 and it is time for Bray to earn the confidence of this team and be out their in the field of battle with this VERY YOUNG team. Simms will be a solid backup, but IMO Bray needs to start from here on out.

Talent wise Bray is better then Simms, how anyone can think otherwise is beyond me. Simms just has that confidence that Bray NEEDS to be a complete QB1.

I have said this all year, whether Simms or Bray is in their we would be no better off, we are 2-4 and it is time for Bray to earn the confidence of this team and be out their in the field of battle with this VERY YOUNG team. Simms will be a solid backup, but IMO Bray needs to start from here on out.

+1:rock:

No offense, man, but you usually only see the Prevent when the losing team has a legitimate chance to win the game with long-balls. Not when you're down four scores with six minutes left.

Not correct, my brotha, we were throwin the hell out of the ball on that drive, needing to hurry down field and not waste clock. GA mighta been mixin in some blitzin, but they were not respectin run at that point. So they just blatantly did pass interference in end zone against Hunter and dared refs to have enough cojones to call it ... and of course they did not.

Interesting.

Any info out there on how Gerald Jones feels about the situation? Have always valued his opinion.

“I’ve heard commentators say they’ve never seen it work when it happens,” senior wide receiver Gerald Jones said of rotating quarterbacks. “Shoot, we’re going to have to do something. It’s worth a try. We’re 2-4. Why not look at somebody else?”

Dooley plans to give Bray some early work GoVolsXtra

VN Store

Back