Interesting Clay Travis read

It's not that realistic. If he went to school at, played at, coached at, or was an assistant coach or grad assistant at the University of Michigan, it'd be a different story.

He didn't. He was just at another university - with no ties to UM - in the same state.

This would kind of be be like the University of Memphis worrying about losing a coach because he's coaching in the same state as the University of Tennessee.

By that logic, Butch has no ties to UT either.

Actually, his family has strong ties to that area, and a park up there was recently named after his father in honor of his father's public service as a longtime law enforcement officer.

In all honesty, Mr. Hart may want to conduct a "mid-term" adjustment to the entire coaching staff's pay. They may want to offer incentives for good recruiting numbers in lieu of wins until we're back on our feet.

No we can't, because now half this board will flip out thinking that Butch Jones will leave for University of Michigan just because he coached at Central Michigan University.

Too late. It's starting.

And because he was born and raised in Michigan. I don't think he leaves but simply discounting the notion and using where he coached before as reason for said discounting is just as premature as thinking he leaves.

Plenty of people don't return to where they're from for work but plenty do. Franklin, Muschamp, Urban, Sark, Kiffin (at the time), Freeze etc. Yes, those were all a step up in job, except Urban's lateral move, but all returned to states where they were from/grew up. None of which played/attended the respective schools they're now at.

I long to return to FL even though I've been in TN/KY for the last 10 yrs and my family now lives here too. Why? Because it's "home" and where I'm "comfortable".

Last edited:
Butch has spent the last 24 months putting out this dumpster fire. Why would he leave Tennessee for Michigan? Completely moronic that people think that's a possibility.

Higher profile school with a much easier schedule and a conference that is winnable in 2 years. And money..

You're right, there is no reason to consider Michigan.

Don't be insane enough to believe what you're typing.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch fits the "Michigan Man" profile much more than Brady Hoke who was born in Ohio and only coached at Michigan and never went to school there. Rich Rod was never accepted by the Michigan elite because he wasn't a "Michigan Man" and Lloyd Carr may have went as far as to undermine Rich Rod behind the scenes and lobby for his dismissal. I agree it's nothing to sweat now but unless John Harbaugh gets canned or quits SF it's reasonable to think Butch would be towards the top of their wish list.
Btw who among us even remotely foresaw Kiffin to USC west?

Butch fits the "Michigan Man" profile much more than Brady Hoke who was born in Ohio and only coached at Michigan and never went to school there. Rich Rod was never accepted by the Michigan elite because he wasn't a "Michigan Man" and Lloyd Carr may have went as far as to undermine Rich Rod behind the scenes and lobby for his dismissal. I agree it's nothing to sweat now but unless John Harbaugh gets canned or quits SF it's reasonable to think Butch would be towards the top of their wish list.
Btw who among us even remotely foresaw Kiffin to USC west?

UT would definitely be SOL if CBJ did go to UM. Hopefully the AD,major alums and backers at UT would get the money together to keep him if it looked like that could happen.

Last edited:
This thread was easy to predict. Soon as I saw Butch had reached .500 and Notre Dame shut out Michigan I knew the board would be on to this discussion.

I hate to break it to you Clay, .......honey. But your boyfriend ain't coming back. He done left you for another. At PSU he can find himself a young thang. And he can put 5 of those Anchor Down crowds in his new stadium.

It's ok Clay. Everything gonna work itself out.

Too soon

Reactions: 2 people
Wait......should trey clavis write an article about Michigan hiring Jamie away from PSU?

Why the hell would any coach desire leaving the exciting SEC to go to the miserable BIG 10?

Having a job at UT, UF, UGA, BUMMA, AUBURN, LSU is way up the desirable coaching ladder than Michigan.

With the possibility that two SEC teams can be in the playoff every year and the big ten will likely have to fight and lobby just to get one team in......

By that logic, Butch has no ties to UT either.

Actually, his family has strong ties to that area, and a park up there was recently named after his father in honor of his father's public service as a longtime law enforcement officer.

In all honesty, Mr. Hart may want to conduct a "mid-term" adjustment to the entire coaching staff's pay. They may want to offer incentives for good recruiting numbers in lieu of wins until we're back on our feet.

Except that he's currently the head football coach at the University of Tennessee. :crazy:

I hate to break it to you Clay, .......honey. But your boyfriend ain't coming back. He done left you for another. At PSU he can find himself a young thang. And he can put 5 of those Anchor Down crowds in his new stadium.

It's ok Clay. Everything gonna work itself out.

I guess he's jumped off the candy bandwagon onto the Penn State one. I guess girls follow their boyfriends!

Love him or hate him, Blane and the Mayor are awful without him on 3HL.

Lazy writing. Lazy analysis.

Rich Rod improved the Michigan program every year he was there. He was completely overhauling the football program, which takes time, yet he had zero support from the administration or fans because he wasn't a "Michigan Man."

Brady Hoke came in and won immediately with Rich Rod's players. The program, though, has steadily declined every season he's been there. According to the ratings services, he can recruit. Based on the results, he either can't evaluate talent or can't develop his players.

Rich Rod =/= Dooley

Hoke = Dooley

Didn't read it, just guessing, but I doubt there's anything insightful in his article. Clay just listens to a lot of national radio pundits and regurgitates it.

Was it just this article you didn't read? Because, you seem to know a lot about what he writes and how he does it.

Except that he's currently the head football coach at the University of Tennessee. :crazy:

The topic of focus here was 'what could draw Butch to Michigan.'

I like Coach Jones, and I want him to stay at UT. However, at this point, neither he nor his staff, has any more ties to UT then he would to any other large program with national championship potential and a checkbook.

This is business to him and I truly believe he is driven to succeed. However, he didn't attend or play at UT as some past coaches have. Thus, he has nothing more than time invested at this point.

VN Store

Back