In-State Center to Take Official Visit to Vols

We have to get a good point guard. Enough already lets get a few top 100 players. We go 26-9 and share sec title and cant get the better players. Vandy loses 20 for the first time ever and gets 2 5* and 1 4* players including one of the best point guards in america.

Reactions: LeannaVol
We have to get a good point guard. Enough already lets get a few top 100 players. We go 26-9 and share sec title and cant get the better players. Vandy loses 20 for the first time ever and gets 2 5* and 1 4* players including one of the best point guards in america.
Wanna wager as to who has the better season, Tennessee or Vandy?

Reactions: StrangeVol
I'll bet Tennessee has a better season next year but that's not the point. If Vanderbilt keeps recruiting like they are and we keep recruiting like we are, who has better seasons in two or three years.

I'll bet Tennessee has a better season next year but that's not the point. If Vanderbilt keeps recruiting like they are and we keep recruiting like we are, who has better seasons in two or three years.
Well let’s see...Alabama, Auburn and Mississippi State have all recruited well for 3+ years, who had the better season last year? Who is projected to have the better season this year?

That's a good point but I'll ask it this way. Would you rather have Vandy's class this year or ours? Do you think Duke will have a better year or Wake Forest. My point is recruiting matters and if UT doesn't do better we will get passed in the SEC.

That's a good point but I'll ask it this way. Would you rather have Vandy's class this year or ours? Do you think Duke will have a better year or Wake Forest. My point is recruiting matters and if UT doesn't do better we will get passed in the SEC.

Vandy has a nice class but if Garland and Shittu are one and done and Vandy makes the NIT this year what good did that class do them?

Says who?

That’s what folks said 2 & 3 years ago about us and Alabama/Auburn/Mississippi State...don’t think there’s much question as to which program has had the most recent success and set up for current success.

Hard to argue with success. the present game plan is working beyond most expectations. Personally, I'd much rather have the J Richies than the one n dones.

Vandy has a nice class but if Garland and Shittu are one and done and Vandy makes the NIT this year what good did that class do them?

Says who?

That’s what folks said 2 & 3 years ago about us and Alabama/Auburn/Mississippi State...don’t think there’s much question as to which program has had the most recent success and set up for current success.
I guess that is where we disagree a little. I think for UT to have continued success at the level we are at currently Barnes has to recruit better. I don't think we can rely on Barnes developing these lower rated recruits into Admiral's and Grant Williams type players year in year out. I hope I am wrong. Only time will tell.

I guess that is where we disagree a little. I think for UT to have continued success at the level we are at currently Barnes has to recruit better. I don't think we can rely on Barnes developing these lower rated recruits into Admiral's and Grant Williams type players year in year out. I hope I am wrong. Only time will tell.
2 years ago people said Grant Williams/Admiral/Alexander etc wouldn’t be talented enough to take us dancing. They lead us to a top 5 all time regular season in program history and the highest preseason ranking in program history and now those same folks wanna change the narrative to, “well he can’t keep it up”.

2 years ago people said Grant Williams/Admiral/Alexander etc wouldn’t be talented enough to take us dancing. They lead us to a top 5 all time regular season in program history and the highest preseason ranking in program history and now those same folks wanna change the narrative to, “well he can’t keep it up”.
I think you are changing the narrative a little here. Did anyone really think these players would take us to the top 5 when they signed. If anyone said that I would love to see it. They have overachieved. I am very happy about that. I find it doubtful we will continue to find such success with players rated so low. Lots of programs catch lightning for a year or two. Who has the staying power when they rely on 3 stars?

I think Barnes has made believers of most of us 'early doubters'. With what we're bringing back, I don't see a regression happening unless there are key injuries(knck on wood). I also think Barnes will add the guys who continue the chemistry he's built into this team. Wondering if Leanna is the new SD handle. If so I'm sure Donnie would have been successful with the present strategy.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I think you are changing the narrative a little here. Did anyone really think these players would take us to the top 5 when they signed. If anyone said that I would love to see it. They have overachieved. I am very happy about that. I find it doubtful we will continue to find such success with players rated so low. Lots of programs catch lightning for a year or two. Who has the staying power when they rely on 3 stars?
I think BTO’s point is that at some point we have to stop doubting Barnes as a coach and let him succeed or die trying. We can’t keep pointing down the road to the point we believe he will fail, even if we have our doubts, justifiable or not.

Wichita State, VCU, Gonzaga, Creighton, Butler, all those programs began from nowhere and relied heavily on underrated players for a long time before becoming relevant enough to build their rosters and brand into the shape that they became contenders for top 100 talent.

Now Barnes is attempting to do that at a high-major, SEC school. It would seem to be a taller task, and the list of high-majors surviving with that type of approach is noticeably shorter (Wisconsin comes to mind). To that point, concern is warranted, but it is what it is at this point. Personally, I believe we need to start landing better talent to succeed over the long term, but I also choose to give Barnes the benefit of the doubt at this point. I have no other choice except to wring my hands in frustration over something I have no control over, and he’s given me no reason to doubt him, yet.

I'm not Senior Drill. I am a Barnes fan. Just disappointed our on court success has so far not translated into more recruiting success. I think it is okay to question why recruiting is not better and still recognize that Barmes has done a great job.

I'll take coachable 3 stars that will be in the program 4 or 5 years all day long over one-and-done 5 stars and two-and-done 4 stars that have attitudes. Especially when some of the 3 stars earn paychecks as basketball players down the road.

I'm not Senior Drill. I am a Barnes fan. Just disappointed our on court success has so far not translated into more recruiting success. I think it is okay to question why recruiting is not better and still recognize that Barmes has done a great job.

Do you think that the 50th-75th ranked player that doesn't buy in will be more successful than the 125th-175th ranked guys that meet the staff's criteria?

Obviously you need buy in. And development is key. I will take 4 yr players over one and done all the time. Not arguing any of these points. I also think we should be getting some higher rated players to sign with UT at this point. There was a reason Barnes went after Mann so hard. He recognized his great talent. That's all I am saying here. Don't put words in my mouth.

This discussion has been had countless times, just because it isn’t common doesn’t mean it can’t/won’t happen. Like I said, prior to last year everyone said these 3 wouldn’t get us to the dance, they were wrong. Now it’s, well these 3 stars can’t get us to the dance 2 years in a row, that looks pretty false as well.

So at what point do those who said you can’t make the dance with 3 stars, and now are saying you can’t consistently make it with 3 stars admit maybe they were wrong on both fronts (already been proven wrong on the first). Do you need to see them make the dance without Schofield and Alexander so it’s 3 in a row, or are you then gonna say let’s see them do it without Grant too?

Simply put...last year was beyond successful, they look primed to do the same this year, so 2 years in a row that with a roster of 3 stars Barnes will have proven wrong the “you can’t do it with 3 star” argument. Does he have to do it for 3 years, 5 years, 10 years or 20 yeara???

I’ve asked this question a few times on this board...if Barnes was recruiting better but winning less would you be happier or feel better about the future of this program? You’ve mentioned Vandy, so let’s use them, would you trade places with Vanderbilt right now?

Obviously you need buy in. And development is key. I will take 4 yr players over one and done all the time. Not arguing any of these points. I also think we should be getting some higher rated players to sign with UT at this point. There was a reason Barnes went after Mann so hard. He recognized his great talent. That's all I am saying here. Don't put words in my mouth.
They’ve gone after some highly ranked guys every year, that’s not a new philosophy for this class.

I’ve asked this question a few times on this board...if Barnes was recruiting better but winning less would you be happier or feel better about the future of this program? You’ve mentioned Vandy, so let’s use them, would you trade places with Vanderbilt right now?
I would trade recruiting classes with Vandy right now. Would you?

I would trade recruiting classes with Vandy right now. Would you?
That's the point BTO is trying to make. Of course everyone wants the better recruiting class, but if the seasons' results are better with the lesser classes...it's a head scratcher. It's not as if we're not going after the highly rated players. Perhaps the larger point to be made is that maybe we just have a great basketball coach. You could argue that it's a win-win situation.

All of that being said, I'm sure everyone would love to see us start reeling in top-50 players. Personally, it really makes me wonder if Barnes's playing it squeaky clean is the reason we're not landing them.

That's the point BTO is trying to make. Of course everyone wants the better recruiting class, but if the seasons' results are better with the lesser classes...it's a head scratcher. It's not as if we're not going after the highly rated players. Perhaps the larger point to be made is that maybe we just have a great basketball coach. You could argue that it's a win-win situation.

All of that being said, I'm sure everyone would love to see us start reeling in top-50 players. Personally, it really makes me wonder if Barnes's playing it squeaky clean is the reason we're not landing them.
I think your last sentence is maybe key as to why we haven’t landed many top targets.

To Leanna’s point though, I believe he/she is simply making the point of why can’t it be both? Why can’t we win AND do it with top shelf talent rather than hoping that we find the underrated guys and that those players take it upon themselves to get better with the coaching they receive? And if so, I can see her point. Ziti beat the same dead horse for years, only a lot less politely and with more attitude and arrogance.

Barnes is doing a great job. He has proved me wrong. I was pretty disappointed with him early on.

I think Barnes has two problems recruiting higher ranked players. He is not cheating and he is not telling these kids what they want to hear. He is giving it to them straight. "You come to Tennessee you have to do things my way and you have to work hard. There are no exceptions.

These kids are missing a great opportunity to grow up and at the same time get prepared for the next level.

I also really like the guys he has committed. They are not ranked high, but if you watch these guys on film, they have basketball skills and will fit into a system. I feel comfortable that these guys are also coachable and will turn out to be great players for Tennessee.

I am going to enjoy watching Tennessee continue to win SEC titles and thump Kentucky's *** with lower ranked players.

VN Store

Back