I'm hearing great things about Dooley

an educated, articulate southern man, coaching at a southern insitution, is better than a brash young cali dude happy to have daddy to give him credibility

leach is so intelligent ....that he seems a little off....to us common folk..i wouldnt mind seeing him here at UT! and after we would put up points on everyone, i dont think that you would mind too.

i would love to see him here and let the bashing begin in 3......2......1...

Last edited:
leach is so intelligent ....that he seems a little off....to us common folk..i wouldnt mind seeing him here at UT! and after we would put up points on everyone, i dont think that you would mind too.

Yes, he is so intelligent that he shut a allegedly concussed malcontent who's father is a major booster and is a national sports media figure in a closet. He is so intelligent that he railed at his players about their "fat little girlfriends.". He is so intelligent that he has singlehandedly trainwrecked his career. He may be a genius on the sidelines or the practice field, but the coach at a program that gets media scrutiny like any sec team does has to be more. Mh would be strung up in his own yard if he went for a controversial maverick after our x experience.

Let anyone who questioned Kiffin a few weeks ago...they'd get mobbed by the Orange Kool-Aid drinking pom-pom squad here. Same goes with Fulmer right before he was fired..so, that should make you girls feel really RIGHT...right about now, shouldn't it?

Actually I said that Kiffin had done some positive things (and he had) but that 7-6 wasn't enough to call it "success". I also said that Fulmer had gotten his fair shot and should be let go.

Now I'm saying... just wait and see. This is a high risk hire that will either make MH look like a genius or end his tenure.

But the fact that you and all of the other stone throwers are overlooking is that UT didn't have alot of good options. Guys like Calhoun, Muschamp, Peterson, et al aren't going to risk their careers on a team that has a depleted roster, plays in CFB's toughest conference, and just lost its coach 3 weeks before NSD (with a good chance of losing many quality recruits). If you would just put yourself in their shoes for one moment... maybe you could understand why Dooley was about as good of an option as MH had. You'll also see that asst's with a "name" aren't going to line up for that situation either. So Dooley appears to be playing that rather smart. He isn't jumping the gun too much but is rather trying to salvage a recruiting class that can maybe help attract good coaches.

UT could have had Cut apparently... and his staff. They could have had Kippy. Both of these guys would have been stable "safe" choices... who also more than likely would have presided over a Fulmer like mediocrity that would have gotten MH fired anyway.

So... he shot for the moon with a supposed up and comer. Just relax and let it run its course.

A couple of years ago we were debating Fulmer. I said he should get a shot to finish turning things around after getting to ATL in 07. I said it was the safest option since UT could easily find itself on the coaching carousel and suffer for years. Well... here we are. I don't think DD's prospects for success are high either. I'm hopeful but realistic. He seems to be a talented coach and good man so he's got a shot. But he inherited a very, very tough situation in Kiffin's wake.

So 2 or 3 years from now... UT may STILL be a tough situation that the "name" coaches will avoid so another "up and comer" may be hired... and another and another until they get a hit.

This could be a long, difficult stretch unless MH's roll of the dice works out... but your griping and complaining won't help a thing... and might well hurt. Just ride along... we'll get the first real indications in a couple of weeks when we see what he salvages of the recruiting class.

Last edited:
This could be a long, difficult stretch unless MH's roll of the dice works out... but your griping and complaining won't help a thing... and might well hurt. Just ride along... we'll get the first real indications in a couple of weeks when we see what he salvages of the recruiting class.
But you see...I have no compulsion to just "ride with it"....not if that ride is headed down Shiite Creek with no paddle. Dooley's hire left us one paddle out the boat...then hiring his buddy from La. Tech, Jospeh and now an unemployed "up-and-comer" with yet again NO resume whatsoever to qualify for an assistant at a major SEC school...there went the last paddle.

Those of you that still feel like shaking your pom-poms while Hamilton and Dooley send this program deeper into the doldrums...you go right ahead. But I'm going to shake my fist with one hand and a pitchfork in the other...til glaring gaffes like this get corrected.

A fanbase that's passionate enough and loves their program enough to speak up when they see some outsider messing with their beloved is what UT needs...not a bunch of blind homers that'll take whatever dung they are served, and like it.

If I didn't care about this team, I wouldn't be wasting so much time on here, and I wouldn't give a flip who they hired. THis Hinshaw hire, in my book was like watching the Vols in the redzone, ready to score the go ahead TD, and suddenly have a pass into the endzone returned for a Pick 6...a complete reversal of momentum.

When we desperately needed PROVEN SEC caliber position coaches, who have a PROVEN recruiting track record (or at least some NFL coaching experience to help offset any lack of recruiting experince), we do just the opposite. We now have 3 coaches on staff with losing records as coaches. If that warms you guys up inside, it's you who are playing the losing hand in this argument.

But you see...I have no compulsion to just "ride with it"....not if that ride is headed down Shiite Creek with no paddle. Dooley's hire left us one paddle out the boat...then hiring his buddy from La. Tech, Jospeh and now an unemployed "up-and-comer" with yet again NO resume whatsoever to qualify for an assistant at a major SEC school...there went the last paddle.

Those of you that still feel like shaking your pom-poms while Hamilton and Dooley send this program deeper into the doldrums...you go right ahead. But I'm going to shake my fist with one hand and a pitchfork in the other...til glaring gaffes like this get corrected.

A fanbase that's passionate enough and loves their program enough to speak up when they see some outsider messing with their beloved is what UT needs...not a bunch of blind homers that'll take whatever dung they are served, and like it.

If I didn't care about this team, I wouldn't be wasting so much time on here, and I wouldn't give a flip who they hired. THis Hinshaw hire, in my book was like watching the Vols in the redzone, ready to score the go ahead TD, and suddenly have a pass into the endzone returned for a Pick 6...a complete reversal of momentum.

When we desperately needed PROVEN SEC caliber position coaches, who have a PROVEN recruiting track record (or at least some NFL coaching experience to help offset any lack of recruiting experince), we do just the opposite. We now have 3 coaches on staff with losing records as coaches. If that warms you guys up inside, it's you who are playing the losing hand in this argument.

I couldn't agree more. I know the situation is not ideal, and I am fully prepared to back the university I graduated from and have had season tickets to for years.

The fact is. this recruiting class means very little in the scope of things. CDD has brought coaches from his old staff, (not searched hires). Hired an Asst Coach who no one in North America has ever heard of, whose largest accomplishment is having the best 2 receivers in his conference at Memphis.

Once again I will say this is a tough time of year to hire coaches. THEN WAIT.. and search, and say you are gonna wait. This class isn't gonna be great anyway.

If you are a fan of another SEC school, you are Thrilled at this hire, if you don't believe it then take the time to go look. I am not saying the CDD hire won't work, but there sure is no track record to say it will.

I do believe that C. Baggett was a nice hire and hope for more of the same.

I am allowed to vioce my opinion in this forum, and that is all I have done. Just like you, I have one.

In my opinion the HC job search was rushed, which has lead to said head coach hiring a very unproven staff to this point, not to mention signing only 1 commit so far. I along with others hope for the best.
BUT I don't drink Kool-aid.. GBO

Last edited:
What "Big Name" coaches would you suggest we run out and get?? Once you think about that, now think about ones that won't run off for the next "big" opportunity at a flourishing program or back to the NFL

I think CLK really altered all of our expectations as far as coaching staffs go, so I get where you're coming from. But think about it...where did this fascination with an all star staff and all star recruiters begin??

Look at who was at UT under CPF....Larry Slade, Steve Caldwell, Greg Adkins, Dan Brooks, Matt Luke, David Cutcliffe, Trooper Taylor. Now was that was an All Star staff with All Star recruiters when they got here?? - Not even close. most of that staff came from lesser known programs. Cutcliffe before he caught on at UT was a high school coach for pete's sake. In fact, only Slade had any real success on his resume before coming to K-ville.

See CLK and Yaw Yaw didn't believe that recruits would come to TN for its tradition ,its "brand name"...he tried to make UT the USC of the east and removed many of the posters and images of UT's glory days and replaced them with USC success stories. He thought he needed to sell recruits on the ALL STAR Coaches.

Name me one other school that does that...I'll wait. Saban?? Meyers?? Paterno?? Mack Brown?? Even Pete Carroll never did that. We all came to know some of the names of their assistants as they did well, they never sold the public on their staff....they sell their program and the school

Meyer brought many assistants from Bowling Green to Utah and then to FL. Before anyone else says Utah better than Memphis, MTSU, etc....My family lives there and until U. Meyer got there, you need to go back to the 60's and the big sky conference to find a good Ute team.

Point is, give it a shot. Our coaches don't need to be from Tennessee, or a UT alum, or even very well known. Many coaches are well thought of within coaching circles and other coaches know their ability - just us folks following our team never payed attention to up and comers at smaller programs who just might be the next Saban, or Paterno....
Put the negativity away, stop pining for Fulmer or coaches past, take a deep breathe and do all you can to support the future of our beloved university.

Excellent post... I'm all for a new, young and hungry staff that will stay a while and build this program patiently. The right way... They do this and they will be 'proven' and 'known' then. If they don't, they will be gone. Either way life will go on...

Good grief man.. You do like the drama don't you? If you get your way and they fire Hamilton, copy and paste this post to your resume and submit it to the atheletic department. With your 'passion' for the program, you'll get the AD job and UT football will be saved...

Well I am happy every one here is an expert on the situation. I guess CDD has 0 chance to suceed right? The guy hasnt done anything in his career and he has no chance. You guys are the biggest cry babies in the world and have really ran this board through some real muck and dirt. I miss the old days when this board was actually fun to be on and all we had to argue about was randy sanders.

BTW this is vols2345, i just forgot my password and cant log into my email to get my password for my old account.

Oh please enlighten us on what top flight coaches are sitting around waiting to come to Tennessee?

Most proven coaches are looking forward to signing day in a week. They know their teams, and have built relationships with them. More, they probably got a big raise because we called.

I want to fill out this team with a good staff, but all these "proben" guys in the NFL started somewhere. I hope that with some of our hires we have found guys on their way up, not dropping back down because they didn't get it done at a higher level.

I think you miss the point in many of the posts. You, me, and most other people on here may bleed orange and hold our university in high esteem. However, given the current situation of our football program & the conference in which we play there aren't many coaches with proven success that are willing to come here. To us, UT football is a top 10 program...to outsiders, were not even a top 20 program. That's the sad truth. So which of these proven coaches is goign to risk their reputation and, perhaps, the ability to land another top coaching gig to come to a team that is depleted in talent, has to play in the SEC and realize that UF and Bama just keep compiling top 3 recruiting class after top 3 class.

In addition to that issue, the other thing you over look, is that the days of loyalty to a program seem to be a nearly forgotten memory. Currently there are only a total of eight D1 coaches with 10 or more years at their university....Paterno (44), Beamer (23), Larry Blakeney - Troy (19), Pat Hill - Fresno State (13), Mack Brown (12), Kirk Ferentz, Bob Stoops, & Randy Edsall (all 11). Obviously the loyal guys are the exception rather than the rule.

Maybe because we had only 2 coaches in over 30 years both with ties to UT we expect the same kinda guy to be out there now. I don't think you'll find one. If you look at those coaches - to me - they were both under achievers. In 30 yrs + UT had 6 SEC titles and the lone Nat. Chmp. in 98. by way of comparison - UF has had 8 SEC chmp and 3 Nat chmp....and that is since 1991!!! prior to that UF was an average team at best. Bama in that smae time has won 8 SEC chmp and 2 Nat chmp.

And guess what? they are both still on top of the SEC.
so where oh where are you going to find that proven guy willing to step into that hornets nest??

I'm so sick of people freaking out for an "all-star" coaching staff.

Take away hid dad, Monte, and the only thing "all-star" about kiffin's staff was that he said it was.

Kiff created this myth. Stop believing his hype. He's gone.

And for those downing our new coaches, please, give me some names of these "all-star" coaches that are out there just setting and waiting for a job offer two weeks before NSD?

:)

I'm so sick of people freaking out for an "all-star" coaching staff.

Take away hid dad, Monte, and the only thing "all-star" about kiffin's staff was that he said it was.

Kiff created this myth. Stop believing his hype. He's gone.

And for those downing our new coaches, please, give me some names of these "all-star" coaches that are out there just setting and waiting for a job offer two weeks before NSD?

:)

Great Post!!!

Really beyond Monte and Yaw Yaw, who were the "All -Stars"?? WM Garza? F. Wilson? J. Cregg? Come on people. Chaney is a good coach but other universities weren't beating his door down...Lance Thompson good coach, brought on to recruit as much as coach. But really the big ticket name was Monte and after that we all just kinda blindly accepted that everyone was the best guy at each coaching position - FAIL!! Now get over this crap, get over the we need a UT guy, and trust that the guys who are paid well to make these decision and evaluate coaching talent will make good decisions. Trust me on this too....they are better at their jobs than any of us are, if you think you caould do better, either you are delusional (and wrong), or you would have the job.

The DC from the 0-16 Detroit Lions of 2008 is a strong possibility. This staff keeps getting better and better a no name coach hired today and now this potential clown.

Don't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy and secure inside that these coaches are what is being considered for your beloved Vols.

You do not deserve tofeel warm and fuzzy with that attitude

yep the recruits love him so much they are lining up to sign papers right now. wait we have 15 commits again.

Root for SC then if your that heartbroken. I'm getting tired of reading your sinceless BS. Posts like this really help get the recruits here too. Way to do your part! :eek:k:

You do not deserve tofeel warm and fuzzy with that attitude

If I were a prospective recruit and I came here and read what you die-hard crybabies are saying about your coaches and other recruits I'd run as fast as I could away from TN!

If that happened would it be the fault of DD who has been busting his butt to salvage a program that was headed down the toilet at warp speed...or would you die-hard Volunteer crybabies accept the responsibility for loosing that recruit. How about giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt.

It's real easy to get the best recruits sitting on your butt behind your computer with a Budweiser in your hand. It's easy to hire coaches from the couch in your living room. It's also easy to condemn what others have or have not done. Words are cheap! Some of you guys are so smart I'm surprised your not using your talents to coach some NFL team.

From all indications, he has been on the Job 1 week and we have gotten 1 commitment and no Defensive coordinator.

:dunno: But as long as everyone is impressed..and feels comfortable..

I believe the Hunter kid makes 2 four stars for Dooley. I don't know HTH Dooley does it----I mean he plays checkers 8 hours a day----rotf.

VN Store

Back