I'm Getting Excited for This Season!!!

Ramar was PG, almost identical size lineup to this years starting 5, and that squad did pretty well.

Wasnt he PG the following year? That team had more proven players/scorers. I am not saying we will do bad or good, just anxious and curious as to what this team will bring. GBO!!

How dare you speak this blasphemy. lol seriously, I think Reese plays pretty big for his size, as long as he isn't trying to dropstep and dunk.

Lol. He had a pretty good block on turner during practice, fwiw.

I get where you are going with this...but Chris Lofton, end of discussion.
I have all the respect in the world for Chris Lofton, but the success of Pearl's early teams was more about chemistry than one player.

Hopefully these kids can find something close to that this season.

Reactions: 1 person
Very curious to see how a starting 5 with only one player over 6'4" is going to pan out.

Mid majors have succeeded often over the years. Even getting a win or 2 in NCAA tournament. No saying its ideal. But an uptempo flow can compensate for size deficiency.

Chris Lofton is one of the Nations 5 best 3 point shooters of all time. In 2 different ways. Contested 3s and transition 3s. It was crazy how being open in a half court setup wasnt his thing. However you jump someone out to defend him and that leg would kick out and the arc was pure all the way through. That being said for someone who was slow and couldnt jump ge could penetrate to the badket and he had such good hands he could manipulate himself into a good shot over some great big defenders in paint. Make no mistake about it had be playef at Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina he would be considered as higher than he is.

I keep saying we are going to surprise a lot of people. We have talent. It wasn't properly utilized last year. We will be fun to watch this year.

Tennessee this season wont be much better than last season. I think UT goes 16-15 and 9-9 in the SEC. Rick Barnes has some building to do.

I keep saying we are going to surprise a lot of people. We have talent. It wasn't properly utilized last year. We will be fun to watch this year.

Idk, I'm almost convinced we've got a coach wo can't win with less talent, we managed 15 wins with a coach last year who oppositely gets the most of his talent, so I'm talked down to about 12-13 wins if we are lucky.

Sad part is it appears this years team is going to be significantly better talent wise and experience wise than next years team.

If this year isn't a 17win or more year then fan apathy will be set in pretty hard by 2018-2018

Instead of wondering how many they can win or lose. How about we just cheer them on. Support them. And hope for competitive games. Maybe steal a win here or there. Better than putting them down. Or calling them talentless scrubs who have no reason to be wearing the uniform. Basketball isn't football. You don't need 300 pound linemen. You just need guys with team chemistry and a heart of a line playing defense. Let's tip this chit off. Go Vols

Reactions: 2 people
Instead of wondering how many they can win or lose. How about we just cheer them on. Support them. And hope for competitive games. Maybe steal a win here or there. Better than putting them down. Or calling them talentless scrubs who have no reason to be wearing the uniform. Basketball isn't football. You don't need 300 pound linemen. You just need guys with team chemistry and a heart of a line playing defense. Let's tip this chit off. Go Vols

I concur.

Sad part is it appears this years team is going to be significantly better talent wise and experience wise than next years team.

If this year isn't a 17win or more year then fan apathy will be set in pretty hard by 2018-2018

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
So everyone hates the pessimist I understand but does anyone here really think next years team will be better?

Losing moore and punter(57 of the 90pts) in the scrimmage

Losing 4 of 5 starters at least for now.

A 40-60ranked recruiting class coming in.

Seems much more realistic than just pessimism to me saying next years team won't be as good

Bruin, the issue is you want to talk definitively about NEXT year, before this year has even started. Lots of things can happen, again, did you see Kwe Parker as being a target 3 weeks ago?

What happens if Mostella and Hubbs become the guys we all thought they possibly could be, and look like very real capable scorers? If Alexander blossoms under Barnes and shows the NBA potential that Lanier and Barnes have mentioned in passing? We've all heard about how good Turner has looked and how he'd help that team, going against Punter surely will help him even further? Maybe a transfer comes open in December that like Maymon would have to sit first semester and be eligible for next years conference slate? Lots can happen that can change the outlook, the biggest issue on this years team is a lack of size, that should be improved on next years squad. The next biggest weakness is likely a lack of PG, next years squad will have at least 2 capable point guards. You're a man that likes rankings, we will lose 4 seniors (Punter, Moore, Baulkman and Reese) all ranked outside the top 150, they'll be replaced with quite possibly Bone, Parker, Johnson, Williams and Fulkerson...so at least 2 top 150 guys and quite possibly 4, so the talent level is immediately going up, which you're the biggest proponent of, no?

Reactions: 1 person
So everyone hates the pessimist I understand but does anyone here really think next years team will be better?

Losing moore and punter(57 of the 90pts) in the scrimmage

Losing 4 of 5 starters at least for now.

A 40-60ranked recruiting class coming in.

Seems much more realistic than just pessimism to me saying next years team won't be as good
Next season you'll have Turner, experienced bigs, hopefully an improved Mostella and Hubbs.
You may have a faulty crystal ball.

Bruin, the issue is you want to talk definitively about NEXT year, before this year has even started. Lots of things can happen, again, did you see Kwe Parker as being a target 3 weeks ago?

What happens if Mostella and Hubbs become the guys we all thought they possibly could be, and look like very real capable scorers? If Alexander blossoms under Barnes and shows the NBA potential that Lanier and Barnes have mentioned in passing? We've all heard about how good Turner has looked and how he'd help that team, going against Punter surely will help him even further? Maybe a transfer comes open in December that like Maymon would have to sit first semester and be eligible for next years conference slate? Lots can happen that can change the outlook, the biggest issue on this years team is a lack of size, that should be improved on next years squad. The next biggest weakness is likely a lack of PG, next years squad will have at least 2 capable point guards. You're a man that likes rankings, we will lose 4 seniors (Punter, Moore, Baulkman and Reese) all ranked outside the top 150, they'll be replaced with quite possibly Bone, Parker, Johnson, Williams and Fulkerson...so at least 2 top 150 guys and quite possibly 4, so the talent level is immediately going up, which you're the biggest proponent of, no?

I agree it's way to early to say for sure what 16/17 holds but at this point all those things aren't reality. I hope they will be for sure but to expect all of them would take a perfect storm.

At this point I would gladly take hubbs or Mostella developing into a big time player. Very unlikely both do.

Parker would help this class a lot but he like all the rest doesn't seem to be polished and ready to win immediately.

The best thing that can happen for 16-17 would be for this years team not to me dominated by moore and punter but that looks highly unlikely to me

Reese may be the player that benefits the most from this coaching change.
From what I hear and see he's actually getting the information and instruction he needs to play the position.

Tyndall just threw him out there and said if you want to play this is yer spot. and he looked just like that.
I agree though. As all the basketball regulars know, I've been a huge Reese supporter. Reese did better under Tyndall than he did under Cuonzo. Under Cuonzo he was primarily a spot up shooter, under Tyndall he was forced to defend the paint and post up.

Reese will get his 6-8ppg and his 6-7rpg. He will show out in spurts like he usually does. Really excited to see if he's worked on his overall game. Usually he has a new addition to his game each year.

VN Store

Back