If we win, how?

I'm not going to subject myself to trolling on here by saying we win, but come Friday I start believing, no matter what.

So, to start things early, if we do win, how do you guys think we win? What one type of play has to happen during the game for us to snag a W in Oxford?

I'm thinking we need to see a pick-6 by Sutton.

I think we will win by scoring more points than Ole Miss.

Defense has to keep us in it. A defensive TD or 2 could actually win us the game. To win this game it will need to be low-scoring. Like a 14-10 final score.

Also, Bajakian is going to have to learn how to call plays that play to this team's strengths, as opposed to calling plays and pretending our O-line isn't awful.

First point: Makes sense. It's quite possible.

Second point: Completely burst my bubble. Don't see this happening.:no:

Defense needs to limit mistakes and hopefully create a turnover or two. Maybe spy Bo with JRM. Otherwise, keep on keepin on, because they've been great all season.

Offense: Bajakian is going to have to abandon the vertical design offense to help our QB and OLine. He needs to go with designed strongside rollouts, slants, middle screens and wheel routes to take advantage of Ole Miss aggressive defense. This should open up run lanes and the play action game as a result because the linebackers will have to back off the pass rush to zone the middle against said routes. I don't see him doing this, however, as he's not done it all season.

All IMO, of course. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
Tempo tempo tempo. Gotta run plays so quickly that Nkemdiche is sucking wind and never able to recover. I watched the Ole Miss v. Memphis game, and they were able to neutralize the guy pretty well (announcers were amazed they were never calling his name). If we can do that, it makes their defense simply "really good" instead of "wet-britches inducing".

Defense has to keep us in it. A defensive TD or 2 could actually win us the game. To win this game it will need to be low-scoring. Like a 14-10 final score.

Also, Bajakian is going to have to learn how to call plays that play to this team's strengths, as opposed to calling plays and pretending our O-line isn't awful.

Great post, completely agree about calling plays to their strength, which he hasn't done well at so far. Not to mention Worley's last 4 games he has had 4 endzone turnovers and 3 fumbles. Even against UTC when the offense had to go 60-70 yards they struggled..Majority of the points were setup on their side of the field by turnovers and a kick return. Don't like our chances of it being close if we have to try and drive the length of the field on them. We need to not only force turnovers but capitalize on them with TD's, which we haven't done well at at all this season. And Worley can't keep forcing throws and has to be more aware of the pressure coming and not fumble it.

Our Oline just has to do their jobs and the WRs have to play up to their talent level.

Ole Miss isn't an unbeatable team if we protect the QB. Our secondary will be the best they have faced all year. This is the same team that was up on Memphis 7-3 going into the fourth quarter. There is no reason we cannot play with them or beat them if the Oline can play their best game on Saturday. If not it will likely be a beatdown and Worley may not get out of the game alive.

Less than 5 sacks + over 100 yards rushing and we win.

Not sure about that. Hurd could break off 2 fifty yard runs and we could never score..We gave up 6 sacks to UTC. But don't see us running for a hundred yards unless they are up big and have backups in..I hope we hang 50 on them but this will be the best team we play all yr and we just gotta hope they are overlooking us. Another plus is the crew calling the game has been part of 4 unranked teams beating ranked teams so far this yr.

Ole Miss is averaging over one interception/game. We get three Saturday by pressuring Bo. They are also averaging over one fumble/game. We beat them on turnovers.

On offense, three-step drop passing attack. Quick slants over the middle to North and Pig. A lot of bubble screens to the outside. Quick hitters to the tight ends. All these will freeze the linebackers and open up the run for Scott and Pickett. We still need to rest Hurd.

Final score: TN 24 Ole Miss 21

I just want a statement early that we are going for the jugular and that they will be in a war to win this game.

Whether that's going for 4th and 2 early or going after a punt (if they punt) or really pinning the ears back and going after Bo early.

Got to put the severe disappointment of Florida behind us and show that we don't intend to lose like that again.

Dominate special teams and keep them behind the chains with down and distance.

We need a special teams TD and several sacks or splash plays early to rattle Wallace.

The Vol offense can't drive the field consistently on anyone so a short field like we saw last week against UTC is critical.

Should also think about scoring TDs instead of FG inside the 20.

With their defensive line, and our offensive line, it will take an event similar to Noah parting the Red Sea for us to win...

Bold strategy. I am not sure how it works out though Cotton.

I've worked it out in my head, if they score 7 we just need to score 8. If they score 8, we need to score 9. I can keep going with examples but I feel that two is enough. Also, my math team's research reveals that we only need one more point than them. Say they score 0, then we only need 1 point to win.

I don't understand why people think we can't win this game. We have been in position to win every game we have played(minus OK possibly). This is a tough SEC Defense full of big time hitters and playmakers that aren't just going to give this game away to Ole Miss (#3 in the country or not).

Granted our offense is struggling. We still have the potential to score some points. If the D plays like they have been and causes some turn overs and the offense can capitalize on a turn over or 2 and put a couple drives together, we can win this game.

JMO of course.

GBO!

This is the best thread of the day IMO. Love the optimism. You guys have me believing and its not even Friday yet!

We are the second best defense that ole miss will face this season. They have struggled offensively vs the two defensive teams in the top 40 in total defense this season. We are 16th. If we do not give up the 14 point swing TOs, and don't have any bust coverages, we win the game. We will score 21 with a defensive score, they will only get 17. 28-17 if we get two defensive scores.
Too bad that's probably the scenario they could use as well. So, it's 28-17 us or them, lol.

We are the second best defense that ole miss will face this season. They have struggled offensively vs the two defensive teams in the top 40 in total defense this season. We are 16th. If we do not give up the 14 point swing TOs, and don't have any bust coverages, we win the game. We will score 21 with a defensive score, they will only get 17. 28-17 if we get two defensive scores.
Too bad that's probably the scenario they could use as well. So, it's 28-17 us or them, lol.

I agree completely, low scoring game. Our offense cannot shoot us in the foot.

VN Store

Back