If We Want To Make Sure We Don't Get A Good Coach...

Until he shows some form of success as a HFC, I'm going to continue to see him as the failure he's been up to this point. I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

I wouldn't call him a "failure" yet, but he hasn't done enough to make me think he's a sure thing yet either.

I am going to give him time before I call him either.

Until he shows some form of success as a HFC, I'm going to continue to see him as the failure he's been up to this point. I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

So in your eyes our AD hired a failure correct?

We have dangerous scenarios on both sides of the coin. We have Hamilton currently who makes suspect hires and tends to go for up and coming type coaches that he does not have to start out on high salaries, even Kiffin made a somewhat modest signing despite his staff making pretty decent bank.

On the other end we could axe Hamilton and look like a University in disarray compromising our chance to make a high level hire. Also we would have to land a AD and head basketball coach in the span of about 3 weeks or so, seems next to impossible.

I see you are on a new campaign. What's next are you going to advocate firing the TBA janitor? Please just stop this crap and let everyone deal with what happened today. The majority of us wanted to keep Pearl and fire Hamilton. I hope you all are happy that you got what you want.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'd like to see Tennessee get the best coach possible. If you don't, that's your problem.

Yet the Pearl lovers universally want MH fired; despite MH going to any length to keep him. There are a lot of misguided Pearl fans.

MH stays because Pearl was a good hire gone bad well after Pearl had put TN basketball back on the map. MH was celebrated as a hero for years until all this went public. If MH is in trouble it is because he backed Pearl too much. He has to get this hire right to rebuild his support.

Folks, we have a situation. There are 2 ways to handle it. Grow a pair, and do the smart thing. Keep MH until a GREAT new coach is hired. Then during the spring/summer months when we have time, look for a very good AD during the best time of the year. Or, go running screaming full speed into a brick wall. The choice is ours. When your dealt a situation, step back, think outside the emotions, and make the most rational choices possible. It seems like 50+% of this board have never had a real job in the real world. Good grief, this happens every day outside the UT dome.

Hamilton needs to go and now is the time to do it. No need in waiting for a future blunder. Cut ties while there is fresh poop, clean it all up and move on! We will be better for it. Old/new AD or not, there are plenty of good coaches out there we can hire.

I'd like to see Tennessee get the best coach possible. If you don't, that's your problem.
At this point I don't care anymore. Sorry but I'm just really tired of the fire everyone attitude you and some other posters have. Its not always as simple as you claim it to be. It took 30 years to find a winner like Pearl. If Jerr Punch said today on sports talk that it will be several years before TN is relevant again in basketball.

At this point I don't care anymore. Sorry but I'm just really tired of the fire everyone attitude you and some other posters have. Its not always as simple as you claim it to be. It took 30 years to find a winner like Pearl. If Jerr Punch said today on sports talk that it will be several years before TN is relevant again in basketball.

Who am I advocating be fired? Try reading.

So in your eyes our AD hired a failure correct?

We have dangerous scenarios on both sides of the coin. We have Hamilton currently who makes suspect hires and tends to go for up and coming type coaches that he does not have to start out on high salaries, even Kiffin made a somewhat modest signing despite his staff making pretty decent bank.

On the other end we could axe Hamilton and look like a University in disarray compromising our chance to make a high level hire. Also we would have to land a AD and head basketball coach in the span of about 3 weeks or so, seems next to impossible.

IMO it's tough to look at his four years as a HC and view it in any other light.

You're right though, either scenario is far from ideal, and for as much as I loved everything Bruce did while he was here, he's ultimately the one who has landed us in this mess.

People that think the only reason people want Hamilton fired is because of today must not follow all UT sports.

LANE KIFFIN..Enough said, he had to pay us 800K yet we had to pay Phil Fulmer 6 million, he is terrible with contracts.

Bringing up the Pearl situation 2 days before tourney, very very stupid.

We've had 3 football coaches, this will be our third basketball coach and 2 baseball (could be 3 if we don't make tourney)

Look at attendance in football people won't pay championship level money for 5-7, 7-6 and 6-7 seasons.

It's not just today, the job is to big for Hammy.

This may seem harsh so I will apologize in advance for the tone. Having personally known several trustees and key UTAD employees over the years, I can assure you they take their roles very seriously and have the best interests of the university at heart with all decisions. You have the right to disagree with what they decide, however, don't think for one minute that you know more about what is going on with situations such as these than they do.

Which is why Fulmer is gone and now Pearl is gone. If they decide Hamilton should go, it will not be because of a bunch of hyper-critical fans calling for his head.

Yet the Pearl lovers universally want MH fired; despite MH going to any length to keep him. There are a lot of misguided Pearl fans.

MH stays because Pearl was a good hire gone bad well after Pearl had put TN basketball back on the map. MH was celebrated as a hero for years until all this went public. If MH is in trouble it is because he backed Pearl too much. He has to get this hire right to rebuild his support.

I don't really recall anyone ever celebrating him as a hero. In fact, there have been plenty of people for quite a while who have disliked him for his hand in running our football program off a cliff.

People that think the only reason people want Hamilton fired is because of today must not follow all UT sports.

LANE KIFFIN..Enough said, he had to pay us 800K yet we had to pay Phil Fulmer 6 million, he is terrible with contracts.

We've had 3 football coaches, this will be our third basketball coach and 2 baseball (could be 3 if we don't make tourney)

Look at attendance in football people won't pay championship level money for 5-7, 7-6 and 6-7 seasons.

EXCELLENT POST, sir!!!!!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I don't need to read it you are a broken record. You got what you want with Pearl fired so move on. Good day...

Wow. You seem to be having a little trouble stringing the two peices of the thought together. He said, "If we want to make sure we don't get a good coach, we need to fire Mike Hamilton". Unless you honestly think he doesn't want to get a good basketball coach, then the obvious conclusion to draw is that LV is against firing Mike Hamilton at this time.

I hate to be the Debbie downer but the reality is that nothing good will come of this situation. The current state of college coaching, which is a carousel, has to come to an end before there is any lasting success. College sports is unfortunately loosing what makes it so great. History, tradition, and heart.

This may seem harsh so I will apologize in advance for the tone. Having personally known several trustees and key UTAD employees over the years, I can assure you they take their roles very seriously and have the best interests of the university at heart with all decisions. You have the right to disagree with what they decide, however, don't think for one minute that you know more about what is going on with situations such as these than they do.

Which is why Fulmer is gone and now Pearl is gone. If they decide Hamilton should go, it will not be because of a bunch of hyper-critical fans calling for his head.

Interesting. It seems that the "bunch of hyper-critical fans" are in fact this group of trustees and key UTAD employees you speak of.

Of course it is, but there is plenty of evidence out there that the interview with Hyams was something that he was either told to do or was ok'd by the higher ups. And there's absolutely no way firing him makes it easier to find a coach than keeping him.

Fine. Do the interview with Hyams. But do not schedule the interview before a program you are committed to support and develop competes in a post-season situation.

You can sit there and claim Hamilton had Pearl's back. But in a crucial situation, Hamilton turned on Pearl and his players in a public setting. That is the boss coaches we're interested in will see. And that makes the job of getting a good replacement that much tougher.

I have, the people saying "The Pearl lovers" want MH fired.

Pearl getting fired isn't the only reason he needs to be fired, not even close..

No one has said that it is. What I'm saying if you can Mike Hamilton right now, you can pretty much guarantee that we're going to be incapable of hiring a good coach. A good coach would be insane to step into that kind of crapstorm.

You can sit there and claim Hamilton had Pearl's back. But in a crucial situation, Hamilton turned on Pearl and his players in a public setting. That is the boss coaches we're interested in will see. And that makes the job of getting a good replacement that much tougher.

Of course he had Pearl's back. I'm not just pulling that out of my ass. And no, it doesn't. What will make it tougher is when there is no boss, and the prospective coach doesn't have a clue what he's stepping into.

Folks, we have a situation. There are 2 ways to handle it. Grow a pair, and do the smart thing. Keep MH until a GREAT new coach is hired. Then during the spring/summer months when we have time, look for a very good AD during the best time of the year. Or, go running screaming full speed into a brick wall. The choice is ours. When your dealt a situation, step back, think outside the emotions, and make the most rational choices possible. It seems like 50+% of this board have never had a real job in the real world. Good grief, this happens every day outside the UT dome.

The odds of attracting a great new coach are reduced with Hamilton around.

VN Store

Back