If Vanderbilt were to leave the SEC...

Your pick for the team to replace Vanderbilt

• Total voters
Originally posted by rwemyss@Nov 5, 2004 9:23 AM
The ACC needs Tech to keep their 12 schools... Louisville is making a move to the Big East next year, and WVU probably wouldn't leave that seeing as how some decent competition is comming in.  Memphis State seems like a great choice to me!  Send Auburn to the East, and plop in Memphis!

Don't think for a minute that a team from the Big LEast would not jump into the SEC in a heartbeat. Even with the latest additions, they will be hard pressed to keep their automatic BCS spot. The television contract is also not as attractive without Miami, Va Tech and Boston College.... the Miami and Boston markets were huge and now a big boost for the ACC.

Now that some of you have brought up the market aspect.... I'm thinking that the replacement team would be outside of a current SEC state. That leaves Marshall and West Virginia or a team from the midwest that adjoins an SEC state..... could they lure Missouri from the Big XII? Maybe a team like TCU?

I'm surprised that more people have not been talking about Marshall. They are currently in the MAC... but are moving to CUSA (shows they want to move up?). They are tied with Florida State for most wins in the NCAA I-A since 1997. They have pretty much dominated the MAC conference and been competitive on a national level. They have put out 3 heisman candidates that are stars in the NFL (WR Randy Moss, QB Chad Pennington, and QB Byron Leftwich.) They have wins over such programs as BYU, No. 6 ranked Kansas State, Clemson, Cincinnati, East Carolina and South Carolina.... and put scares into other such programs as Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, and Tennessee. They also had a perfect season 13-0 and top 10 finish in 1999.

Marshall averages roughly 25,000 in attendance.

And let me add that in 7 seasons in the MAC, the Herd has participated in 6 MAC Championship games... and has won 5 of them.

Marshall won the 1996 I-AA national championship the season before joining I-A. It was their 2nd NC in 5 seasons.

MarshallThunderingHerd2.GIF

West Virginia has won 2 Big East Championships ('93 and '03) and has an overall record of 623-433-45 (.586). They joined the Big East in 1991. They also won 8 Southern Conference Championships between 1953-1967. They have been to 23 bowl games and have won 9. The Mountaineers average roughly 60,000 per game. Rams' QB Marc Bulger is WVU's career passing leader.
Bulger_Special_Dolphins_46599.jpg

WestVirginiaMountaineers.GIF

If they replace Vandy, I would love to see MTSU or Memphis replace them. We need a instate rival to poke fun at. :D

Keep it southern!

Louisville joined CUSA in 1996 and has won 2 conference championships ('00 and '01). They have an all time football record of 394-401-17 (.496). They have played in 11 bowl games, winning 4 and tying another. Louisville averages roughly 40,000 in attendance.

LouisvilleCardinals10.GIF

Memphis joined CUSA in 1996 and has never won a championship. They have only played in 2 bowl games and are 2-0. They have an all time football record of 403-417-33 (.492). Average attendance at the Liberty Bowl is roughly 24,000... even though it seats around 65,000. With Memphis being a hotbed of recruiting and at least 3 SEC teams already parlaying for fan base (Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Arkansas)... it seems unlikely that Memphis would ever pass if/when the vote were taken?

MemphisTigers.GIF

Southern Miss would be third school in the state of Mississippi in the SEC if it joined. Seems highly unlikely. Southern Miss joined CUSA in 1996 and has won 4 championships since ('96,'97,'99,'03). They have an all time football record of 495-330-27 (.597). They have been to 12 bowl games and won 5. Famous former player: Packers QB Brett Favre. Attendance is roughly 25,000.

SouthernMissGoldenEagles6.GIF

Let's compare to the SEC's latest additions (litmus test?)...

Arkansas won 13 Southwest Conference (SWC) Championships prior to 1991 and one National Championship in 1964. They have an all time football record of 617-415-40 (.594). They have been to 34 bowl games and won 11. They average roughly 53,000 in attendance.

ArkansasRazorbacks4.GIF

South Carolina was a member of the ACC until 1970. They won 1 ACC championship in 1969. They have an all time football record of 489-507-44 (.491). They have been to 11 bowls, winning 3... their last 3 over WVU and Ohio State twice. However, Before joining the SEC, the Gamecocks had never won a bowl. They do, however, have a rabid fan base and average roughly 75,000 in attendance.
SouthCarolinaGamecocks.GIF

Based upon the information gathered.... the conference probably looks at history of winning and attendance/fan base..... it would seem that West Virginia would be the best fit.... history of winning.... 60,000 attendance.... new market area. I think the attendance numbers of the other schools would scare the conference members too much. At 25,000 for most of them ...... Vanderbilt even averages 31,000 as bad as they are. Louisville might be acceptable with an average of 40,000 even with lack of history?

Originally posted by BigDaddyCanes@Nov 5, 2004 1:48 PM
A ugly loss is an ugly lose!!!!!!

Well if you wanted to go back that far then I could bring up the 96 Miami loss at home to East Carolina 31-6. Or I could bring up the 98 Syracuse game the the Canes lost 66-13. But I won't bring these up. ;) :D

Seriously though, you guys have a good team and I am sure you will bounce back from the NC loss. It's near impossible to go through a season undefeated. At least you didn't lose to FSU. B)

Originally posted by vol_freak+Nov 5, 2004 7:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol_freak @ Nov 5, 2004 7:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BigDaddyCanes@Nov 5, 2004 1:48 PM
A ugly loss is an ugly lose&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Well if you wanted to go back that far then I could bring up the 96 Miami loss at home to East Carolina 31-6. Or I could bring up the 98 Syracuse game the the Canes lost 66-13. But I won&#39;t bring these up. ;) :D

Seriously though, you guys have a good team and I am sure you will bounce back from the NC loss. It&#39;s near impossible to go through a season undefeated. At least you didn&#39;t lose to FSU. B) [/quote]
let me leave you with a few numbers: 83,87,89,91,01

when the Vols can match it, then we can talk..... :p

Originally posted by BigDaddyCanes@Nov 5, 2004 3:08 PM
let me leave you with a few numbers:  83,87,89,91,01

when the Vols can match it, then we can talk..... :p

Are those Big East championships? :p

1938, 1939, 1940, 1950, 1951, 1956, 1967, 1998

Originally posted by BigDaddyCanes+Nov 5, 2004 3:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigDaddyCanes @ Nov 5, 2004 3:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by vol_freak@Nov 5, 2004 7:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-BigDaddyCanes
@Nov 5, 2004 1:48 PM
A ugly loss is an ugly lose&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Well if you wanted to go back that far then I could bring up the 96 Miami loss at home to East Carolina 31-6. Or I could bring up the 98 Syracuse game the the Canes lost 66-13. But I won&#39;t bring these up. ;) :D

Seriously though, you guys have a good team and I am sure you will bounce back from the NC loss. It&#39;s near impossible to go through a season undefeated. At least you didn&#39;t lose to FSU. B)

let me leave you with a few numbers: 83,87,89,91,01

when the Vols can match it, then we can talk..... :p [/quote]
What are those...the years in which you had multiple recruiting violations?

:dlol:

(btw, I heard you had lunch today with a friend of mine)

It all started with who would be best to replace Vandy and then it turned into a numbers gig with Ibis vs Smokey.

Freak, BigDaddyCanes We just need to get together and hash it out over cold beer&#39;s and darts.

:pepper: lets Go. Roll TIde :beer: :beer:

Name the place, and bring your money if we&#39;re throwing darts. :cool:

Kiddiedoc, you might aswell be making a donation to the bigdaddycanes foundation if I&#39;m playing..... :dlol: :dlol:

You mean the "Hurricane Relief Fund," created to help victims injured by falling goal posts in Chapel Hill?

:eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol:

Attachments

• UNC_beats_Miami_posts.jpg
    UNC_beats_Miami_posts.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
Originally posted by Tnvolfan68@Nov 4, 2004 6:16 PM
Vandy is very important to the SEC simply for Graduation Rates.

They are also a pretty good gimme for several SEC teams which need that 6th win to qualify for a bowl :D

I think next year will be Vandy&#39;s year to go to a bo. . . bo . . .bow . . . b. . . :eek:lol:
Sorry, I just can&#39;t say it with a straight face.

Originally posted by GAVol@Nov 5, 2004 5:29 PM
I think next year will be Vandy&#39;s year to go to a bo. . . bo . . .bow . . . b. . .  :eek:lol:
Sorry, I just can&#39;t say it with a straight face.

:dlol: :dlol: :dlol:

Sad ain&#39;t it. The media here in Nashville were actually picking them to go bowling this year. About the only bowl Vandy will ever qualify for is the :flush:

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Nov 5, 2004 5:33 PM
You mean the "Hurricane Relief Fund," created to help victims injured by falling goal posts in Chapel Hill?

:eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol:

:dlol: :eek:lol:

Heres to the canes&#33; :moon2:

Somebody needs to break the deadlock between Louisville, West Virginia, and Memphis.

No one from the ACC and I would serverly doubt Memphis or Louisville would either. It is because football is a distant second to basketball for all the mentioned teams.

If it were to happen, which it won&#39;t, it would have to be a team the caliber of WVA or GT. Teams that draw the fans and have some history. I particularly like GT because they have been in the SEC before.

The SEC would never invite teams like Memphis, Marshall, or even Lousivlle. If Vandy were to leave, you&#39;d have to go after a better program (see above). Why would you actively weaken the conference??

Nobody gives a d@mn about Memphis football, and Tennessee is the last team that should want to see the Tigers in the SEC. Memphis would give a first born child to beat us, and we sleepwalk against them. In this game we&#39;re always prime for the upset, after they beat us in &#39;96 we had to win on late 4th quarter drives in &#39;99 and &#39;00. No benefit to us for having Memphis in the conference.

Marshall is a respectible, up and coming program, but 25,000 fans a game? In the SEC? No way. They don&#39;t have a large enough following to add real revenues to the conference, and they have no tradition (10 years isn&#39;t enough).

Louisville is slightly more realistic because they do field a decent football team most years. They would certainly help out the conference in basketball too. But you have to go for a traditionally strong program with a large, active fan base.

VN Store

Back