If Vanderbilt were to leave the SEC...

Your pick for the team to replace Vanderbilt

• Total voters
I remember the last time Louisville was this good and then they fell apart for the next decade. Teams like that are good for 1 or 2 years and then fall for 4 or 5. They'll have a chance in the Big Least next year but WV will be a big stumbling block for them and so will Pitt.

Originally posted by milohimself@Nov 14, 2004 11:37 PM
C-USA. I think that might possibly be the worst I-A conference in the country...

You forgot the Sunbelt Conference. They've even sent a conference champion to a bowl game before with a 5-6 record.

Don't forget the feared Mid-American Conference or the highly regarded WAC (don't give me crap about Boise State -- Their schedule is almost weaker than Utah's).

:lol: How the heck is Louisville winning this poll? They can't even field ONE decent SEC team in Kentucky and now you want to give them TWO?

This is funny: off the Kentucky Athletics website. . . .notice (other than a hint with a ridiculous claim about "the most loyal fans in the country") NO direct mention of football -- rather hoops, gymnastics, soccer, and YES, rifle.

The winningest program in all of college basketball. A gridiron program with the most loyal fans in the country. A cross-country national championship. An eight-time NCAA individual champion in gymnastics. An Olympic medallist in track and field.

The University of Kentucky owns a rich tradition of excellence in collegiate athletics, both in the teams it fields and in the student-athletes that participate. At the University of Kentucky, the Athletics Association sponsors 22 varsity sports that compete at the Division I level in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The UKAA is a fully funded athletics department that provides financial aid to its student-athletes in each sport - the maximum amount allowed by NCAA rules. In the 2002-03 academic year, more than 359 student-athletes at UK received scholarships. The Wildcats are also a charter member of the highly competitive Southeastern Conference. Only men's soccer, which participates in the Mid-American Conference, and UK's lone co-ed sport, rifle, compete outside the SEC. Within the league, UK has won numerous conference titles while earning individual honors for excellence in the academic arena.

West Virginia is the only school on the list that's even in the realm of possibility for this question.

I don't want any potential member that fits into this category:

The University of fill in your city name here

The SEC is built on tradition (yes, even Vandy). Memphis, Louisville?

I'd take Tiger High or the Ramblin' Wreck, although I doubt Tech will EVER be in the SEC again. That relationship was severed in the 60's, never to be repaired again, most likely.

Two lanes would be a nice choice if they any good at anything.

Once again LEARN YOUR GEOGRAPHY West Virginia is in the SOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memphis is a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people complain that WV is too close to the Mason Dixon line, and it is pretty close. While West Virginia is a southern state, I would only consider it kind of southern like Indiana or something (You'll have to visit to believe me).

I've been to WV may times and If your talking football as I am their fans support their team the same way teams in the SEC get supported.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Nov 16, 2004 7:31 AM
I've been to WV may times and If your talking football as I am their fans support their team the same way teams in the SEC get supported.

I agree. WVU is a good fit. Anyone who has visited will realize very soon that the culture is very similar to the rest of the South. Kind of reminds me of East Tennessee.... is very much like the tri-cities area (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City).

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Nov 16, 2004 10:29 AM
Just a little more backward.

:lolup: True, I felt like I had time-warped back to the late 50's or early 60's. Beehive hairdues, Buddy Holly glasses, pants rolled up with white socks showing, etc...

And, you can't find anything on the radio but country music. I'm serious.... only country music.

Memphis is a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, Memphis has had two consecutive winning seasons (so are technically not losers) and WV is a yankee state. Anyways, this is all a moot subject, because we all know Vandy is not leaving the SEC any time soon, if at all.

I think we all just dream of getting rid of Vandy. Maybe we figure if we talk about it enough maybe it will happen. :eek:lol:

I think that Vanderbilt ridding itself of an athletic department and putting all its varsity sports under the umbrella of its intramural sports program as the first sign that athletics is being de-emphasized. I don't think it will be long before Vanderbilt asks to leave the SEC and either becomes an independent or drops down to I-AA.

September 12, 2003

Last Tuesday, in an unprecedented move, Vanderbilt University dissolved its athletic department and opted for a restructuring plan.

The new structure moves athletics, now the Office of Student Athletics, Recreation and Wellness, entirely under the Division of Student Life and University Affairs.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

VN Store

Back