If Stokes comes to Tennessee

Please stop. Coach Martin isn't half way through the season, not even into conference play and you believe everyone wants him gone. Seriously? You know nothing about basketball, his motion offense or dedication to playing defense.

lol... defense. that's a novel idea, maybe we can try it

He can play where the hell ever he wants to as long as it is in the Orange and White!:loco:

Please stop. Coach Martin isn't half way through the season, not even into conference play and you believe everyone wants him gone. Seriously? You know nothing about basketball, his motion offense or dedication to playing defense.

Hey i like coach Martin. I am just saying everytime i get on here there is alot of people that want Dooley and Martin gone. I guess we should bring back Pearl and Kiffin and get the death penality from the NCAA.

Should we be lucky enough to land Stokes, will he be an immediate starter and how will he impact the season for this team? Your thoughts.

If Stokes comes to U.T., then it could impact the season in two different ways. (1) He could arrive and be like Tobias Harris, as a hard worker, a learning attitude and motivated or (2) He could arrive with an ego and a lazy, entitlement attitude.
His being on the team and playing like Tobias Harris, would add 4, maybe 5 more wins to this team.
His arriving on the team and playing with an ego, could cause us to not only lose games but to lose by a larger margin than initially expected.

fyp

With all the crap that basketball has to deal with right now and no game changing talent, what do these people expect? There's a serious disconnect with reality with some fans.

I understand that. But it is not coach Martin's fault the basketball program is in this mess. Pearl was the one who recruited these guys not Martin.

There's no major difference offensively in the 4 or 5 position in our offense. He would be guarding the 5 defensively, but he has the body and athletic ability to do that with no problem.

Any coach that gets him will be lucky to keep him in the paint. He fancies himself as the next Carmelo Anthony and is obviously intent on trying to become a more wing oriented player for his time in the NBA. This has been hashed and rehashed. It was the thing that he said he loved about Pearl's system in the first place.

Pearl on Stokes:
"I believe Tennessee is the favorite to get him from talking to some folks. I recruited him for over three years, so you can say I'm biased or whatever, but I know his game pretty well. He's a special, special player. This may sound crazy, but I would call him a bigger version of Charles Barkley. He is a player that would bring Tennessee basketball back to where it belongs, no question in mind. He is a lot like Jeronne (Maymon), but probably a lot more talented."

I think we get him and he starts for kenny hall he is just awefull I just hope either way if he doesn't. Then ccm goes with miller and maymon instead of kenny hall or put in yemi either one would be better imo sorry to get off topic there but I want stokes in the worst way

Martin has some interesting lineup quandaries if UT picks up Stokes and he's eligible in January.

Do you play Stokes and Maymon in the front court with Tatum, Golden and McRae?

That leaves no one over 6'7" (Stokes my clock in at 6'8" now) on the court, but that's by far his most talented lineup.

Yemi is the closest thing we have to a true center anyway. We're playing with 2 power forwards most times now. None with the talent Stokes has. So he would at least give us another big body, but one who could hopefully score consistently. I've never read about how good his defense is.

If he does choose us, and plays right away, does he have to stay next year,too, before he can enter the draft?

Yemi is the closest thing we have to a true center anyway. We're playing with 2 power forwards most times now. None with the talent Stokes has. So he would at least give us another big body, but one who could hopefully score consistently. I've never read about how good his defense is.

If he does choose us, and plays right away, does he have to stay next year,too, before he can enter the draft?

We will have him for at least a year and a half.

He will not be eligible for the 2012 NBA Draft.

Hey i like coach Martin. I am just saying everytime i get on here there is alot of people that want Dooley and Martin gone. I guess we should bring back Pearl and Kiffin and get the death penality from the NCAA.

NCAA doesn't hammer anyone anymore..If NCAA started doing that they would lose the support from presidents and athletic directors risking all colleges going independent from the whole process. My point is Kiffin would have been fine. Pearl lied but given his success will be back(probably not UT) after his 3 years show-cause.

Last edited:
NCAA doesn't hammer anyone anymore..If NCAA started doing that they would lose the support from presidents and athletic directors risking all colleges going independent from the whole process. My point is Kiffin would have been fine. Pearl lied but given his success will be back(probably not UT) after his 3 years show-cause.

Every single thread.....

I think we get him and he starts for kenny hall he is just awefull I just hope either way if he doesn't. Then ccm goes with miller and maymon instead of kenny hall or put in yemi either one would be better imo sorry to get off topic there but I want stokes in the worst way

Auphul*

Don't get me wrong. I hope Stokes comes to Tennessee. I actually think there is a good chance he will come to Tennessee. But I really do not think it is going to make a lot of difference, unless he helps on the defensive end. If Tennessee could play some defense they would be good and have a great chance of getting to the NCAAs.

That is what I do not understand. How hard is it to teach defense?

Don't get me wrong. I hope Stokes comes to Tennessee. I actually think there is a good chance he will come to Tennessee. But I really do not think it is going to make a lot of difference, unless he helps on the defensive end. If Tennessee could play some defense they would be good and have a great chance of getting to the NCAAs.

That is what I do not understand. How hard is it to teach defense?

It took Bruce Pearl a year and a half to put a passable defense on the court after Lofton and JuJuan graduated.

It took Bruce Pearl a year and a half to put a passable defense on the court after Lofton and JuJuan graduated.

I had not really thought about that, but there is some truth to that. I remember Tennessee struggling of defense at times. With the Lofton group, Tennessee just pressed which does not take long to learn. However, these guys have been playing for a good coach. You would think they would be ahead of the game and that it would not take that long to get it.

VN Store

Back