If Crompton plays.........

From what I've heard, Crompton's playbook would be a little smaller than Ainge's BUT they said that they were going to probably reduce it anyway for LSU. LSU has so many defensive looks that they need to put some offensive sets out there that will limit LSU's option. That tends to narrow down the book to some plays that they believe will give the offense to make some plays.

I am not one of the resident negative posters, however I don't feel very optimistic about an injured EA or a rookie JC. I think this will turn out to be our next loss. I hope I'm wrong.:no:

"But should his ankle not fully mend, Crompton could get the call against a 6-2 LSU squad that leads the conference in sacks with 26."

Since EA is not the most moblie QB and is now limited by his ankle then this could be Crompton's coming out party

Here's your boy's big shot then. I hope he's ready.

I have NO doubt that he will do just fine if he plays.

I would rather play a 100% Hardegree over a 60-70% Ainge though.

I wish it was Ainge's left arm or something, but when you have a high ankle sprain on your back plant foot and you are a QB, it makes it hard to even hand off.

The only contributing factor to our loss this Saturday will be our complete lack of a running game. Regardless of who is in the pocket, LSU will have to have some major breakdowns in their defensive secondary in order for us to win.

No guarantee that Ainge will start
Status of QB's ankle has UT preparing Crompton for LSU

By DAVE HOOKER, hookerd@knews.com
November 1, 2006

Tennessee starting quarterback Erik Ainge might not play Saturday after suffering an injury to his right ankle late in last Saturday’s game against South Carolina.

UT coach Phillip Fulmer declined to go into specifics after Wednesday’s practice but it is clear that a contingency plan, which revolves around redshirt freshman Jonathan Crompton, is being developed.

"Not sure just exactly how all of this is going to work out but it’s been exciting," Fulmer said. "It’s been interesting, a young guy getting a shot — maybe.

"It’s kind of really good story in some ways. If you’re Jon, it is. If you’re Erik, it might not be and we’re hoping he’ll get himself ready to go."

The Vols (7-1, 3-1 SEC) play No. 13 LSU (6-2, 2-2) at Neyland Stadium. Kickoff is at 3:30 p.m. (TV: WVLT).

Fulmer bristled a bit when reporters asked about Ainge’s recovery from the ankle injury.

"Our interest is getting ready to play the game and getting whoever is there ready to play," Fulmer said. "Our focus right now is on Jon and Bo (Hardegree) and working the thought process around what they can do. We certainly know what Erik can do."

LSU coach Les Miles appeared to be taking nothing for granted Wednesday.

"We’re prepared for their best," he told The Advocate after practice. "We’ve looked at the few snaps that the other quarterbacks played. We figure that their package is ready to go.

"I can imagine that if adrenaline and want-to has any play in it, they’ll have (Ainge) ready."

Ainge looked limited as he tried to practice on Wednesday. Crompton worked with the first team. Hardegree worked with the second team.

"Whoever’s out there we’ll be excited about playing," Fulmer said. "It’s not like we don’t have another guy. We can go and we can play the game."

Ainge mostly took part in individual drills with UT’s receivers. He also participated in a limited amount of team periods.

"I was able to do a lot more today that I was yesterday ? I was real pleased with where I was today," he said.

The weather didn’t help Ainge. Persistent rain forced UT to practice indoors on turf.

"The indoor facility is a lot harder," Ainge said. "It gives my ankles problems when they’re feeling good. That’s another reason why I wasn’t out here too long."

Crompton has never started a game at UT. He has completed his four passes after sitting out last season due to surgery on his throwing shoulder. Now, Crompton said, he finally understands UT’s offense.

"It’s kind of funny," he said. "During the preseason, you’re like, ‘I know the offense.’ So many months later you’re like, ‘Man, I honestly didn’t know as much as I thought I did.’ "

Whoever takes the snaps for the Vols, senior Robert Meachem will surely be on the receiving end of some of those passes.

With Crompton coming in, he hasn’t missed a beat," Meachem said. "We’re all getting on the same page. If Erik can’t go, Crompton can be a great fit. We feel like both of them we’ll probably play this Saturday."

Meachem said Crompton’s running ability makes him a bit different than Ainge, who is considered a drop-back passer.

"It makes us multiple," Meachem said. "It helps us because really LSU has never seen Crompton play. It kind of gives us an advantage on them.

"But it gives them an advantage too because he’s young and he hasn’t played in a game like this before."

It is hard to say how Crompton would play if his first start was against the big purple monsters.

Fulmer got a twinkle in his eye during the press conference when he mentioned #8's mobility. He has the physical tools and he's smart. Obviously, he has no experience nor has he proven that he can/can't play. Hard to say how he will handle the pressure or if he can lead.

No one will know until he throws that first ball.

I'd be surprised if Ainge doesn't play at this point though. I guess we'll know Saturday... and I like the fact that LSU won't know for sure until game time.

For what it is worth, and I realize it ain't much, but I like the fact that when Crompton went in for Ainge, he started to check out of the play that was called. Now it is not what the coaches wanted and they called time out;but, he was doing what he was coached and he wasn't intimidated by the situation.

This game being at home makes me much less stressed than if it were in Death Valley. However, cancelling that out is that LSU's defense is as good as Florida's, and as far as I've seen this season, they give more exotic looks.

Everybody keeps pumping up LSU's defense like their the steel curtain in pittsburgh. Looking at their schedule, they look like a team that has played a bunch of loosing, overmatched teams at home to build up a paper monster.

I'm hoping they are like Georgia and get crushed like a house of cards with that "great defense".

Everyone knows the tight end & running game is a qbs best friend. if crompton starts i think he should get cottam & 28 envolved in the passing game short drop offs. that should open some plays for the recievers down field. if we break a long run that also should take the pressure of him. i will say this crompton bleeds orange, has since he was a kid. if our offense stalls & ainge cant play let the kid throw the ball. what else do we have to lose. go vols baby!!!

It is hard to say how Crompton would play if his first start was against the big purple monsters.

Fulmer got a twinkle in his eye during the press conference when he mentioned #8's mobility. He has the physical tools and he's smart. Obviously, he has no experience nor has he proven that he can/can't play. Hard to say how he will handle the pressure or if he can lead.

No one will know until he throws that first ball.

I'd be surprised if Ainge doesn't play at this point though. I guess we'll know Saturday... and I like the fact that LSU won't know for sure until game time.

I also like the fact that LSU will be preping for 2 QB'S could be the ace in the hole for Fulmer. I bet the game liner's are going crazy.

I also like the fact that LSU will be preping for 2 QB'S could be the ace in the hole for Fulmer. I bet the game liner's are going crazy.
Yes...that "let's make them prepare for 2 QBs" thing worked wonders for UT last season...

Yes...that "let's make them prepare for 2 QBs" thing worked wonders for UT last season...

It is ironic that this is happening against the only team that the "2 qb system" actually "worked" on last year.

VN Store

Back