If A and M joins plus another Big 12 who goes to the east ?

They're not stopping with just A&M. They're going to get 3 more and the 16 team super conference will be born. The old SEC will be no more.

Eh, 12, 14, or 16 teams I don't really care. The SEC is going to grow and become stronger for it. We are now and we always will be the premiere conference in college football.

The thing about A&M coming in is that they may be a little slow to get to SEC standards, but after a year or so of recruiting and having the opportunity to use the conference as a recruiting tool it will help them recruit the state of Texas a lot better than they do now. Not to mention it will help us, along with the other SEC schools recruit Texas.

Get over the fact that A&M want to be in a stable conference. Shut the hell up with the bs. If another school comes in, it'll probably be an eastern team anyways (ie WVU or NC State).

The SEC doesn't want to start pulling schools out of otherwise stable conferences and cause trouble. The Big 12 is already crumbling, so they'll pick up someone else from there. Then it's easy to slide a currently Western team over to the East.

Auburn would re-inforce the Georgia/Auburn rivalry. Alabama would preserve the TN/ALA rivalry.

gonna laugh if we end up pulling ok because ok state would follow.

The rumor is West Virginia, but we should revolt if they get an invite.

Why not one of the North Carolina schools where the SEC doesn't have a "footprint"?

The SEC doesn't want to start pulling schools out of otherwise stable conferences and cause trouble. The Big 12 is already crumbling, so they'll pick up someone else from there. Then it's easy to slide a currently Western team over to the East.

Auburn would re-inforce the Georgia/Auburn rivalry. Alabama would preserve the TN/ALA rivalry.

And what happens to the Alabama-Auburn game?

I am not overly excited about expansion, but I have accepted the fact that it is inevitable given the current trend among conferences.

So, if it has to happen (and I feel it does), then A&M is a good choice. Missouri or WVU would be another good choice to expand the market (after all, that's what it is all about).

If we take two "west" teams, I suspect Auburn is the one going to the East and the UT/ALA rivalry will be no more.

I am not overly excited about expansion, but I have accepted the fact that it is inevitable given the current trend among conferences.

So, if it has to happen (and I feel it does), then A&M is a good choice. Missouri or WVU would be another good choice to expand the market (after all, that's what it is all about).

If we take two "west" teams, I suspect Auburn is the one going to the East and the UT/ALA rivalry will be no more.

Two options if/when this happens:

1) The league goes back to the old "2 permanent rivals" setup from the other division. This was done away with a few years back so the non-permanent matchups happened more frequently (woohoo...we get to visit Starkville more often!).

2) The league expands to 16 and breaks into quadrants. That way you're only locked into playing 3 division teams each year, then you could have a permanent team from the other three quadrants. There's a little more flexibility to preserve rivalry games that way.

VN Store

Back