If A and M joins plus another Big 12 who goes to the east ?

Lots of talk of Mike Slive changing the dynamics of college football conferences and that the SEC goes straight to 16 teams and possibly to 20 teams.

Are there more than 64 schools that would ever seriously compete for a NC?

I am looking for a new football division made up of four 16 team conferences. The first task is to win your division. The second task will be to win a two round playoff.

Under this structure, scheduling tough OOC games won't prevent championships so we'll see more good games. Though Bama and UT might not end up in the same division, they could continue their series as a non-conference game.

In some ways, this would be the best of all scenarios for most teams. Boise St and the other up and coming Rocky Mtn region teams better find a home quick.

I think this is def what we are moving towards. 4 "super" conferences that could potentially play a small "playoff" leading up to a title game. A west, east, north, south division.

No need to end the bowls. Let them still invite as they do now. Let the two playoff games and NC game rotate between several bowls. The bowls would still have the same relevance that most have now plus the incentive of occasionally hosting a NC series game.

So in your opinion making the NIT is just a relevant as making the NCAA tourney.

I wish someone would explain why the super conferences are needed. Around here we are winning crystal balls already! Will the SC's help everyone catch up to us? If so, how does it help us? It appears that except for TCU and Utah that everyone who potentially joins a 'SC' already had a shot at the title game just by winning their games. Please enlighten me someone, cuz I don't see why college football 'has' to do this. I respect the fact that is happening, but I don't get it at all. Thanks guys and gals!!!!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Pushes the inconsistent NCAA riff raff further out of the way.

is anyone old enough to remember the old sec? i know what your thinking (the sec before Arkansas and south Carolina). no, i mean back when the sec had gt and Suwanee. I'm sure people didn't like it when they left but guess what, the sec moved on and became a powerhouse. really, just get over it. change is good.

is anyone old enough to remember the old sec? i know what your thinking (the sec before Arkansas and south Carolina). no, i mean back when the sec had gt and Suwanee. I'm sure people didn't like it when they left but guess what, the sec moved on and became a powerhouse. really, just get over it. change is good.

But it aint the way it used to be!!!! Oh Noz!!!!!

I think we will have 4 "super conferences". The PAC-12 will add Texas, Oklahoma, Ok St, and Tx Tech. SEC will add A&M, Missouri, West Va. and another team (rumors are Va Tech may not want to come). Big 10 will raid left over B12 teams and/or northeast teams. I think then the leftover Big East football schools will join the ACC.

16 team SEC may look like this

Division A
Team X
Georgia
USC east
Florida

Division B
Kentucky
Vandy
Tennessee
West Va

Division C
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Miss St

Division D
LSU
Arky
A&M
Mizzou

Each team plays each team in their division plus 2 teams from the other east or west division(a vs b, c vs d) plus one team from each west or east division, plus their rival
Example: Tennessee
Vandy, West Va, Kentucky
2 teams from division A
Team from division C
Team from division D
Alabama

But I think we will have 14 team conference, playing a 9 game(rumor of Oregon game being cancelled) conference schedule; 6 teams in division plus 2 games from other division plus rival.

Meanwhile, the Big 10 STILL has no championship game, so an anointed "champion" has a shot at the BCS game... Notre Dame is... well.. Notre Dame.. no conference affiliation yet would STILL be considered while playing the likes of Air Force, Navy, Wake Forest and usually another "powerhouse".. The SEC wants to build a conference so big that the teams that DO make it through will have a legitimate shot at an NFL team or two.. which is good in a way, but how much do we have to beat each other up to prove ourselves?

I like your division B though.. We would have a really good chance winning THAT one year in and year out....:dance2:

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the Big 10 STILL has no championship game, so an anointed "champion" has a shot at the BCS game... Notre Dame is... well.. Notre Dame.. no conference affiliation yet would STILL be considered while playing the likes of Air Force, Navy, Wake Forest and usually another "powerhouse".. The SEC wants to build a conference so big that the teams that DO make it through will have a legitimate shot at an NFL team or two.. which is good in a way, but how much do we have to beat each other up to prove ourselves?

I like your division B though.. We would have a really good chance winning THAT one year in and year out....:dance2:

Big Ten starts a championship game this year.

multiple options:

If eastern team: place new team in east

If western team:

Move Bama east

Move Auburn east

Move Ole Miss East

Move Miss St East (like either the ole Miss or Miss st to the eastern division idea)

Move Vandy west and place Alabama and Auburn in the east

Move Vandy west and place Ole Miss & Miss st to the east

So in your opinion making the NIT is just a relevant as making the NCAA tourney.

No. Ever heard the term "non sequitur"?

Most of the bowls now are only relevant to the fans of the two schools and diehard CFB fans. That won't change. The implications of winning a lower bowl won't change at all.

The BCS has set up a scenario where only 5 bowls have real meaning... and four of those don't have much meaning. Under the scenario I suggested, there will be 4 conference title games with tremendous implications. There will then be two playoff games and a NC game. The conference championship games are already huge sellers. The playoff games would be too.

How do you think anything would change for the Liberty Bowl... Chick-fil-a Bowl... Carquest Bowl... Cotton Bowl?

Most of the bowls now are only relevant to the fans of the two schools and diehard CFB fans. That won't change. The implications of winning a lower bowl won't change at all.

The BCS has set up a scenario where only 5 bowls have real meaning... and four of those don't have much meaning. Under the scenario I suggested, there will be 4 conference title games with tremendous implications. There will then be two playoff games and a NC game. The conference championship games are already huge sellers. The playoff games would be too.

How do you think anything would change for the Liberty Bowl... Chick-fil-a Bowl... Carquest Bowl... Cotton Bowl?

Well, you're wrong on many fronts.

You state only 5 bowls have "real meaning" but you fail to realize one 1 game has meaning: the NC game. The rest are matching the best team with the best team to draw a favorable amount of fans, both live and on tv. With only 1 game being meaningful and the other 35 matchups, its does not create a in vs not in. They all are one in the same. Its all post season college football. Fans stream into cities because this is their one, only, and last chance of the year to see their team. Plus, they're usually in pretty warm enviorments ie Orlando, Tampa, Tempe and what a fun way to spend quite a few days before the new year kicks in. Playoffs take all that away. Get in, get out. There is no incentive to stay and spend money. That's what its about - money. Staying a couple of days takes dollars out of pockets versus staying 4,5,6 days.

So why does the conf champ game work on such short notice? Because there is no other game the next week. Asking a multitude of fans to run week to week to games isnt financially practical for a family and that's what drives the boat - money.

Take your example of 2 playoff games then one NC game - would you travel to NO for the first only to have to come home, make new hotel reservations, new air reservations (in 1 or 2 weeks time which is uber expensive) to get out the door to go to Los Angeles? I dont have the time nor money to do both but I can do 1. Roll the dice for the NC and NO doesnt get my money. Go to NO and LA doesnt get my money.

If you cant make it cost friendly for the fans as well as the team then its a losing business decision. If playoffs were to net more money, it would have already been done. Problem is that fans dont go to the Div 1aa post season playoffs and the number of fans per team going to the NCAA is absysmal too. But the difference there is no one is paying those teams to go there. Bowls do.

Its all about the money.

Personally I HATE the idea of college football playoffs. I just do. But your argument has a lot of merit. The games become very important. The one question I would have is would the remaining bowls become even more insignificant or are they still a good thing for the kids anyway?

multiple options:

If eastern team: place new team in east

If western team:

Move Bama east

Move Auburn east

Move Ole Miss East

Move Miss St East (like either the ole Miss or Miss st to the eastern division idea)

Move Vandy west and place Alabama and Auburn in the east

Move Vandy west and place Ole Miss & Miss st to the east

Have you ever looked at a map?

Have you ever looked at a map?

yes i have

the idea that the divisions have to literally be based in their directional locales is foolish and other conferences have shown otherwise

you do what works best, not what fits an arbitrary name best

or if it's such a big deal to you because you worry some big 10 fan is going to say "DURR.....you don't know how to read a map; that's not east and west" then vandy is far enough west to move them over in accommodation

Life in cfb will get interesting nonetheless.

I think these super conferences are pretty much the end of the bcs debate. I want playoffs, but I also want bowl games. There is a middle ground somewhere.

Also, you can imagine that the SEC can go after whomever they want. Any team would be dumb to turn them down.

Money is the driving factor apparently. So, who controls the money? Who divides it? Who decides how to divide said money? If you take the NCAA's power away, who gets the power now? How much more money will the superconference make anyway? Questions abound, but answers are scarce. I better stick to watching the games!!!!!

Money is the driving factor apparently. So, who controls the money? Who divides it? Who decides how to divide said money? If you take the NCAA's power away, who gets the power now? How much more money will the superconference make anyway? Questions abound, but answers are scarce. I better stick to watching the games!!!!!

This sounds ominously like a Politics thread.

And I approve.

Well here's an article on the situation and I agree with the writer's assessment of the 4 superconference divisions and ditching the NCAA.

Mass hysteria coming once Texas A&M officially departs - NCAA Football - Sporting News

VN Store

Back