Identifying Player Roles

which of our guards should play the most because they are all so different. In fact, Reynolds can score and did score two big baskets down the stretch against Rutgers. She is more of a scorer than Carter. Our problem is that all four of them are point guards--there isn't a true shooting guard in the bunch. Massengale is the best outside shooter of the group, but she is more naturally a PG than a shooting guard. If the opponent has two good guards, then Massengale becomes a liability on defense.

I think Warlick should make Carter our starting PG. She played the position pretty well last year--but this year seems to be struggling to find her role. She is lots better than she has shown. Start her at PG and then spell her with Reynolds. If Carter isn't playing well, or Reynolds is, then give Reynolds more minutes. Do the same at the 2: Start Massengale and spell her with Middleton--though there is no way that Massengale is a true 2 as IMO she is not athletic enough for the position. But she's young.

Still I don't think we will ever play well offensively against a tough opponent with Warlick's offensive scheme. There is too much standing around, too much 1v1 basketball and far too little player movement, picks and passing. It might be a good offense if we had Deshields, Parker and Catchings on the floor--but we don't. We have NOBODY like that. That is why we should be playing a more conventional offense that emphasizes ball movement and getting open shots. There is a reason why our shooting percentage is often terrible, but Warlick has yet to put 2 and 2 together.

I think you need a three point threat at the two and a slasher at the one. Our best three point shooters that play seem to be Massengale and Middleton. I think Middleton is in a shooting slump think she is scared of getting pulled every time she makes a mistake or misses a shot. I think one of those two need to be in the game to always have the option of a three point shot.
Reynolds can hit the mid-range shots she is not a three point shooter that is dependable she makes about 25 percent out there. Carter used to be a reliable three point shooter she can't throw it in the ocean this year. I think they both are ok at running the team. I say give them both a six or seven minute shot and the one that is playing the best finishes the half. I think having Carter and Reynolds in there at the same time may be good defensively but if I was coaching against them I would pack it in and dare them to shoot the outside shot. Neither has shown they can hit them out there this season. They are a combined 5 for 30 or 16.7 percent.

Last edited:
I think we come out firing tonight. Holly will have a lot to talk about after the game. The team will be energized after the Rutgers win and everyone will shoot it well. I expect about five players in double figures. I think we win this one 83 to 60.

Reactions: 1 person
You can't say Jas hasn't improved this year. To me she's been our most consistent player on the team. She can hit from outside she just choose not to and would rather drive to the basket.

Good observations. For some reason I feel comfortable with Massengale on the floor because she's the only guard that can shoot consistently. Nared plays pretty good but is slow on defense. Carter has to improve offensively. She can't even finish a fast break. I like Middleton. She plays fearless.

Problem is Massengale is turnover prone. The question is does she give up more than she gets?

Problem is Massengale is turnover prone. The question is does she give up more than she gets?

I'd say her net contribution is greater than either Reynolds or Carter. Just her presence on the court is enough to give Izzy some breathing room. They had zero respect for Carter's jumper, and she looked petrified to shoot.

Massengale, Reynolds and Middleton should be playing the bulk of the minutes until Carter gets her confidence back. She's like a shell of a player when she's on the floor right now, and it's not helping the team or her confidence to keep playing her big minutes.

VN Store

Back