I was so wrong...

I think butch was a really good hire so far.......... If I look at it from a positive point of view, yes we beat USC and almost beat UGA and had some really good team building stuff happen and we were TWO plays away from being 8-4.
But negative we were TWO plays away from being 4-8, with ALMOST losing to USA and USC.

I still think butch has to prove his gameday prep with ALOT of vols fans me including me but think we are on the right track towards bowl games and wins over rivals.

I think the major difference is that was CUTCLIFFE'S OFFENSE...Butch formed his own offensive philosophy in his various stops as an assistant before landing his first HC gig. He could serve as his own OC and can teach it. Bajakian will land a HC position some time in the next five years, but rest assured Elder and/or Azzani are readying for the opportunity. On defense, Butch knows what he wants, let's hope Jancek starts providing. :hmm:

The problem is we haven't seen CBJ's offense for many apparent reasons, if execution improves we will be able to discern what the heck it is ! :dunno:

I know he can recruit but but but...when we start winning...I know he can recruit and coach but but but...will he stay if Michigan or someone comes at him with a truckload of cash? There will always be those that see that half empty glass. I think that Butch has proven himself as a coach but I say that as I sip my glass of Orange koolaid.

It is on the coach: he is responsible for repping them until they will execute. Fulmer, who would not hesitate to heap all blame on the players, would say we had a flawless game plan, but "the kids just didn't execute." Well, after the kids didn't execute for enough years, it was Fulmer that got fired.

That said, there is only so much a coach can do in his first year with not-very-good players. If they are losing in 2015 because they don't execute, Butch will have a problem.

We seem to remember different guys named CPF. I remember a guy who would, much to his and their detriment, protect players far too much. Remember how the "Fulmer Cup" got started?

he can recruit them. we still dont know if he can turn that into wins on the field in the SEC.

But he gets the credit he deserves so far.

Agree with you on this one. Recruiting is only part of what he has to do to turn the program around. But at worst, hopefully he would leave the program in good shape to the next coach if he cannot get improvement on the field.

We seem to remember different guys named CPF. I remember a guy who would, much to his and their detriment, protect players far too much. Remember how the "Fulmer Cup" got started?

Had Fulmer hired a different OC in 2008, he'd probably still be our head coach. The "Clawfense" is why he lost his job.

The problem is we haven't seen CBJ's offense for many apparent reasons, if execution improves we will be able to discern what the heck it is ! :dunno:

We've seen it at smaller programs, and when the parts have it down?...it's fun to watch! It was just too drastic a switch for last year's linemen and skill players to fully grasp...I think last year was a teaching season and we STILL got a win over a top 10 team out of it...people are going to be surprised at the explosiveness of this year's version...IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
That said, there is only so much a coach can do in his first year with not-very-good players. If they are losing in 2015 because they don't execute, Butch will have a problem.

The bolded is hor$ecrap.

In an effort to give the benefit of the doubt, I am willing to accept that Jones has a methodical way of building and changing that may sacrifice early on in order to build a foundation.

For instance, Fulmer used to say "we'll throw it all at them and see what sticks". He was constantly in one form or another customizing his O to his players. There wasn't very much discipline to that approach though. Perhaps Jones is the type that says, "This is our system and we build it from the ground up. We execute the base/fundamental elements to standard then build up from there."

If that's the case then I actually prefer what he's doing strongly... AND we should see visible, incremental improvement this fall.

But this whole line that there was not enough talent left to have had a better season last fall simply isn't true. He wasn't left a team that should have beaten Bama or won the East... but he wasn't left a team that couldn't have competed better and won 6 or 7 games either UNLESS there was an intentional, philosophical, strategic reason for doing it.

Last edited:
explain...

(1) He wasn't our first choice. (2) he came from a smaller program. (3) He always followed in Brian Kelly's footsteps after Kelly built programs. (4) He had not ties to the S.E.C. (5) We beat his Cincinnati team a season earlier in Neyland

Butch has had somewhat of a perfect storm since he's arrived here, dealing with the leftover Dooley stench, horrible scheduling, and sub-par SEC talent. He's done wonders at this point, IMO, even though the record doesn't reflect it. We really can't expect it to until the talent that he's brought in matures and he recruits and signs another great class in 2015. I would like to see 6-6 this year, 5-6 would be a disappointment. I would be ecstatic with 7-5. In 2015, I'd like to see 8-9 wins.

Well said mo

The bolded is hor$ecrap.

In an effort to give the benefit of the doubt, I am willing to accept that Jones has a methodical way of building and changing that may sacrifice early on in order to build a foundation.

For instance, Fulmer used to say "we'll throw it all at them and see what sticks". He was constantly in one form or another customizing his O to his players. There wasn't very much discipline to that approach though. Perhaps Jones is the type that says, "This is our system and we build it from the ground up. We execute the base/fundamental elements to standard then build up from there."

If that's the case then I actually prefer what he's doing strongly... AND we should see visible, incremental improvement this fall.

But this whole line that there was not enough talent left to have had a better season last fall simply isn't true. He wasn't left a team that should have beaten Bama or won the East... but he wasn't left a team that couldn't have competed better and won 6 or 7 games either.

Meh, I do think there was talent enough there to go 7-5 maybe. And they were really only two plays (one a heartbreaker, the other a bonehead) from reaching that mark. So really I wouldn't say that he didn't get what he could out of what was available. It's probably not all that common that two plays make the difference between being 5-7 or 7-5. But damn if it didn't pretty much happen last year.

The bolded is hor$ecrap.

But this whole line that there was not enough talent left to have had a better season last fall simply isn't true. He wasn't left a team that should have beaten Bama or won the East... but he wasn't left a team that couldn't have competed better and won 6 or 7 games either UNLESS there was an intentional, philosophical, strategic reason for doing it.

Wait. What are you getting at here?

Kiffin & his staff could recruit from the standpoint of getting our name in the lights but what kind of bugs does a bright light attract? And as we all know, most of those 4 & 5 star guys didn't last long at all, mostly due to ethical issues.
Actually, I think Kiffin could coach. He did wonders with our QB situation and put us within a field goal of beating the NC that year. It's all the other stuff that was his downfall.

It appears that CBJ has been an excellent recruiter of high quality (ability and ethics) so far. I remember DAJ arguing that he was a great in-game coach based on what he did at Cinci & W. Michigan based on the talent he was working with and against. However, I haven't seen that in too many games so far, with the exception of UGA & SC. I am hoping he is around for a long time and that they do build a statue of him outside of Neyland, however.

From the standpoint of graduation rates or staying the full time at Tennessee, I'm not certain there has ever been a worse class in the history of the school. That class contributed mightily to the terrible shape of the program when Jones arrived.

The bolded is hor$ecrap.

How is the weather in La-La land?

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back