I can’t believe how many people on here are bashing Pruitt for the recruiting class

I don't know this "bashing.".

Great job on early signing day. Failed on Feb 7.

It is what it is, if truth offends you, so be it.

I haven't noticed any "bashing", just some emotional overreactions that have been poorly explained and/or understood.

Reactions: 1 person
Enough of this recruiting hangover...it's over.

I want to see CJP win ONE game next year that he's not supposed to win. It could be an "ugly win" - I don't care. Just one. If this happens, we'll have seen something we haven't seen much since 1985 when UT beat Miami.

If this happens we may go 7-5 or even 8-4 and show '19 recruits that we've made the turn.

I don't think he deserves any blame or credit honestly. He wasn't here long enough to have any meaningful impact. Then again, Tennessee recruits top 25 classes by default, just from being in the SEC and having great resources. He needs to be top 15 at least next year or we gotta problem.

Are you thinking...Tennessee may used to be who they were but these recruits see 4 wins and 0 in the SEC and don't see it as all the fans who are living the past. And they all have great facilities. That great reputation that Tennessee once had will have built up again. Thanks to Jones.

Last edited:
"What a turn of events?"

Before 0-8 and Butch getting fired we were projected top 10 for 2018's class. After UT fired Butch, we ended up 0-8, and fired Currie for the Shiano debackle we were projected around 50.

UT hired Coach Fulmer as AD and he hired CJP. We end up with the #20 class.

Compared to top 10 it was a bust, but compared to the 50, it was a rabbit from a hat. CJP has a few more spots to fill this spring, I like where he is heading.

We'll see how it all turns out, but it's nice to have football coaches running our football program again.

CJP needs to beat the scrubs to keep the turkeys off his back.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a feeling we will not be favored in 6-7 games next year. Definitely 3, maybe 4 or 5. I think it will take more than one upset to get bowl eligible on the field.

"What a turn of events?"

Before 0-8 and Butch getting fired we were projected top 10 for 2018's class. After UT fired Butch, we ended up 0-8, and fired Currie for the Shiano debackle we were projected around 50.

UT hired Coach Fulmer as AD and he hired CJP. We end up with the #20 class.

Compared to top 10 it was a bust, but compared to the 50, it was a rabbit from a hat. CJP has a few more spots to fill this spring, I like where he is heading.

We'll see how it all turns out, but it's nice to have football coaches running our football program again.

CJP needs to beat the scrubs to keep the turkeys off his back.
We were never going to wind up 50. Once they hired someone, even if it had been Shiatno, commitments would come and the number was going back up.

Reactions: 2 people
Are you thinking...Tennessee may used to by who they were but these recruits see 4 wins and 0 in the SEC and don't see it as all the fans who are living the past. And they all have great facilities. That great reputation that Tennessee once had will have built up again. Thanks to Jones.

I know this is the over-emotional thought process, but it simply isn't true. Hell Ole Miss finished at 27- and their situation is as bad as it can get really. The whole Power 5 thing has created a class system, and thankfully, we are on the right side of the dividing line.

I have a feeling we will not be favored in 6-7 games next year. Definitely 3, maybe 4 or 5. I think it will take more than one upset to get bowl eligible on the field.

Vegas has the line for WVU at 7.5. I've not seen any others.

I expect we will have a greater than 40% chance of winning 9 of our games in 2018.

Auburn, gumps and Ga will likely be less than 30.

I expect for our team to play better each week rather than worse as the year goes on. That will be refreshing.

Lulz, I was actually just saying I couldn't believe that you couldn't believe it, because It happens so often.

But, since you wanna be a little bish about it, I can't believe you cry about the same thing in every thread and call someone else out for crying. Derp.

You're not very original.
Oh stop whining.

We were never going to wind up 50. Once they hired someone, even if it had been Shiatno, commitments would come and the number was going back up.

Anybody but Shiano the # gets better. If Shiano would have been forced thru, there is really no way of knowing how ugly it would have gotten.

Blame Currie for not firing Butch sooner and the whole Schiano deal. It should have ended after the UGA blowout in Neyland.

Pruitt walked into a mess with very little time to build relationships with these recruits.

NSD isn’t what we hoped for but that’s not a fair indication on how good of a recruiter Pruitt will be moving forward.

19’ class should at least be Top 10-15.

Way too early to be worrying imo.

Blame Currie for not firing Butch sooner and the whole Schiano deal. It should have ended after the UGA blowout in Neyland.

Pruitt walked into a mess with very little time to build relationships with these recruits.

NSD isn’t what we hoped for but that’s not a fair indication on how good of a recruiter Pruitt will be moving forward.

19’ class should at least be Top 10-15.

Way too early to be worrying imo.

If his 19 class is towards 15th, we will need to start prepping the buyout package.

Lulz, I was actually just saying I couldn't believe that you couldn't believe it, because It happens so often.

But, since you wanna be a little bish about it, I can't believe you cry about the same thing in every thread and call someone else out for crying. Derp.

You're not very original.

It's hard being original while still being upset over Jones getting fired.

No it wasn't a bust or no it wasn't a rabbit?

It wasn't a rabbit. IMO.

I just felt we needed and had an opportunity for an "umph", like getting Walker, ITS or Copeland. Again, I'm not disappointed overall, just have to continue waiting for another opportunity for the "umph".

No, it wasn't.

It was good and I'm not complaining.

Was it good in light of what happened last season, the hire we made, and all the other variables? Yeah.

Was it good in terms of sufficiently filling needs to give us a shot at being gamers next season and establishing experience to be truly competitive at the top of the conference in 2019? It doesn't look like it.

For me, the lack of closing on NSD has just rubbed away all the silver linings on this staff. Now, I'm just looking at bunch of unproven newbs who are going to have to beat at least one superpower every season to even have a chance at representing the division in the SECCG. You know I was an advocate for a big hire. Despite the Gundy incident, I'm not convinced that we couldn't have done better. I know I can't change the past but right now the postmortem seems more productive than thinking about how badly we're going to get curbstomped this Fall.

...The safe call would have been to completely sever ties from Bama upon being announced and remove any opportunity for people to question Pruitt's judgment and/or commiitment. Pruitt and Fulmer are smart enough to have seen this coming and they elected the risky path.
Bailing on the kids and school he committed to earlier really shows commitment huh?:thud:
I can see it now; CJP in the living room of a recruit with family telling them he's committed to the kid and school through to the end. "Oh, like when you bailed on the kids at Bama?"

I mean come on! He was hired very late in the recruiting process, we had early signing for the first time this year and the whole Schiano fiasco gave Tennessee a very bad look everywhere else in the country besides Knoxville. I don’t care that we have a new coach....we just came off an incredibly bad 4-8 season. You have to be ****ting yourself if you think we had any chance of getting a top 15 class this year. I have a gut feeling about Pruitt, just like I did with Doug Pederson when he was hired with my Eagles and Rick Barnes for our basketball program. I feel more confident in this hire than I have in anyone else we’ve hired since Fulmer. I seriously wonder what the intelligence level is for some of the posters on this forum.
Don’t be shocked...if there is one thing Vol fans do better than any other fan base, it’s burning coaches at the stake. It has taken my entire 40+ years to come to the realization that we are that damn crazy. I still love almost every one my vol brothers and sisters though! :)

Vegas has the line for WVU at 7.5. I've not seen any others.

I expect we will have a greater than 40% chance of winning 9 of our games in 2018.

Auburn, gumps and Ga will likely be less than 30.

I expect for our team to play better each week rather than worse as the year goes on. That will be refreshing.

Gave you like and I really do appreciate the enthusiasm. I don't think the implementation of toughness will occur in one off season and there are several positions at which we are one injury away from disaster. Also, it's expected that said toughness program is probably going to result in a few more defections and possibly at key positions. It's hard to convince someone who knows they are draft worthy to suddenly start hitting harder in practice and risking injuries in the weight room. I don't see how we go into 2019 with a better squad than what we entered 2018 with.

VN Store

Back