How Good are the 2012 Football Vols?

If this team can learn how to win and develop some early confidence and swagger, it could surprise us.

If it continues its inferiority complex from the past two seasons, it will be more of the same.

IMO, it is time for Dooley to stop poor mouthing and start building the team's psyche. Let's go get some revenge and kick some @$$ this year.

Reactions: 3 people
Steele has us running for 148 yards per game, which I would think would keep defenses honest, while his project 303 passing yards per game will crush them. Oh, and he has us scoring 30 points a game while our defense is only supposed to allow 16 points. That sounds like a winning formula to me.

Georgia State, Troy and Akron probably have a lot to do with the projections

I am optimistic, but I have quit trying to predict what we will have.

In '05, I had high hopes, but things went off the rails.

Magazines on eve of '98 season said we lost too much on D from yr before ... but we saw what happened next.

We were a pre-season top 10 team in 98.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Georgia State, Troy and Akron probably have a lot to do with the projections

He's at 8-4; I'm at 9-3. The prediction seems fair. There are only so many truly tough games on the schedule, so of course the stats will be slightly skewed.

I've read this correctly? Too many fans here are saying our easy schedule. Easy schedule compared to whom, some easy games yes, some very tough games yes,how many teams ouside the SEC would consider this an easy schedule? How many teams outside the SEC would win 9 of these games?

As much as I despise Kessling, I can't wait to hear "Marlin Lane, into the chegger-boards...touchdown TN!"

Man, I can't wait for the fall.

GBO!

Wins are always great but it would be a step up if we just started seeing some good football played against top ranked teams. I mean 3rd and goal at the one and just blow freakin' Ala-bubba off the ball and walk in for the Touchdown! Even if they eventually beat us give us some plays that look like Tennessee stinkin' football!:p

Underrated post!

Reactions: 1 person
The proof will be in the puddin' as they say, so we'll know as the season progresses.

However, looking at it from a July prospective how good is this team?

From my observations the consensus of the “experts” (radio, TV, print media guys) is that: (typical media comments in parenthesis)

Vols have great QB, WR, TE (Bray & Rogers on “watch” lists)
Vols have serviceable OL, LB (“potential” is word used most often)
Vols will be weak at DL, Secondary and Defense in general (change to 3-4 bodes poorly for the team)
Vols will be woeful at RB and running game (worst running team in league last year by a lot and nothing material has changed)
Vols are a 6-6 to 8-4 team depending on how healthy they stay and how the ball bounces

This is in pretty stark contrast to the optimism I see on this site where 9-3 to 10-2 seems to be the expectation; with 10-11 wins with a bowl victory. Also, many if not most say Dooley is history with anything less than 8-9 wins.

Is Vol Nation correct and the Vols are a 1989 type team waiting to break out, or are the media right and the Vols will muddle through another season of mediocrity?

I’m going with the optimistic crowd not so much out of any true “football analysis” but because as Phil Fulmer was fond of saying I prefer to live out of my hopes rather than my fears.

What say you?

I agree that the DL will be the main weak spot this year, but the secondary is in good shape, IMO.

Waggner, Eric Gordon, Freshman All-American Brian Randolph, and Justin Coleman are all great players...our only real liability is Marsalis Teague.

btw We won't be in the 3-4 full time until next season.

Expect multiple looks.

The proof will be in the puddin' as they say, so we'll know as the season progresses.

From my observations the consensus of the “experts” (radio, TV, print media guys) is that: (typical media comments in parenthesis)

Vols will be weak at DL, Secondary and Defense in general (change to 3-4 bodes poorly for the team)
Vols will be woeful at RB and running game (worst running team in league last year by a lot and nothing material has changed)
Vols are a 6-6 to 8-4 team depending on how healthy they stay and how the ball bounces

This is in pretty stark contrast to the optimism I see on this site where 9-3 to 10-2 seems to be the expectation; with 10-11 wins with a bowl victory. Also, many if not most say Dooley is history with anything less than 8-9 wins.

Is Vol Nation correct and the Vols are a 1989 type team waiting to break out, or are the media right and the Vols will muddle through another season of mediocrity?

I’m going with the optimistic crowd not so much out of any true “football analysis” but because as Phil Fulmer was fond of saying I prefer to live out of my hopes rather than my fears.

What say you?

This analysis was done looking at last year's team and projecting from what happened then...we are talking about an entirely different team mindset with new coaches in key spots...to say our DL is weak or not good and we have poor RBs is premature...you are looking back at last year. Last year we did not have CJG coaching the running game of Coach Pittman directing the OL and we sure as hell didn't have Sal Sunseri leading the defense...We also didn't have Sentimore, McCullers and O'Brien on the DL last year. We are going to be alot better and we are not going to be in a 3-4 scheme all the time so you will see alot of 4-3 or 4-2-5 sets.

I believe that we also have some very exciting freshmen who will have a major inpact on how things turn out...Truly our biggest weakness is the kicking game and if Palarady doesn't get straight right from the start it could cost us some winnable games.

What say you?

I say wait until the end of the season, by which time we'll know all there is to know about the 2012 Vols as a team.

If this team can learn how to win and develop some early confidence and swagger, it could surprise us.

If it continues its inferiority complex from the past two seasons, it will be more of the same.

IMO, it is time for Dooley to stop poor mouthing and start building the team's psyche. Let's go get some revenge and kick some @$$ this year.

This.....They have to develop a healthy dose of this. Not arrogance but "by god put your mouth piece in because here we come" football.

South Carolina lacked this yet they had the talent

There is speed on this UT team like we haven't had in years. If the DL steps up and we have some real players it could be a special year.

VN Store

Back