How Good are the 2012 Football Vols?

1974Vol

4 * 2011 QB
The proof will be in the puddin' as they say, so we'll know as the season progresses.

However, looking at it from a July prospective how good is this team?

From my observations the consensus of the “experts” (radio, TV, print media guys) is that: (typical media comments in parenthesis)

Vols have great QB, WR, TE (Bray & Rogers on “watch” lists)
Vols have serviceable OL, LB (“potential” is word used most often)
Vols will be weak at DL, Secondary and Defense in general (change to 3-4 bodes poorly for the team)
Vols will be woeful at RB and running game (worst running team in league last year by a lot and nothing material has changed)
Vols are a 6-6 to 8-4 team depending on how healthy they stay and how the ball bounces

This is in pretty stark contrast to the optimism I see on this site where 9-3 to 10-2 seems to be the expectation; with 10-11 wins with a bowl victory. Also, many if not most say Dooley is history with anything less than 8-9 wins.

Is Vol Nation correct and the Vols are a 1989 type team waiting to break out, or are the media right and the Vols will muddle through another season of mediocrity?

I’m going with the optimistic crowd not so much out of any true “football analysis” but because as Phil Fulmer was fond of saying I prefer to live out of my hopes rather than my fears.

What say you?

Reactions: 4 people
Another one of these? There are about 37 similar threads in the football forum.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The proof will be in the puddin' as they say, so we'll know as the season progresses.

From my observations the consensus of the “experts” (radio, TV, print media guys) is that: (typical media comments in parenthesis)

Vols will be weak at DL, Secondary and Defense in general (change to 3-4 bodes poorly for the team)
Vols will be woeful at RB and running game (worst running team in league last year by a lot and nothing material has changed)
Vols are a 6-6 to 8-4 team depending on how healthy they stay and how the ball bounces

This is in pretty stark contrast to the optimism I see on this site where 9-3 to 10-2 seems to be the expectation; with 10-11 wins with a bowl victory. Also, many if not most say Dooley is history with anything less than 8-9 wins.

Is Vol Nation correct and the Vols are a 1989 type team waiting to break out, or are the media right and the Vols will muddle through another season of mediocrity?

I’m going with the optimistic crowd not so much out of any true “football analysis” but because as Phil Fulmer was fond of saying I prefer to live out of my hopes rather than my fears.

What say you?

I say this is a good post. Good observation of different expectations. There is a minimum, and a maximum. I honestly think a 7 win minimum will have to come with a signature win in order for things to proceed under CDD. I also think 10 wins are possible, with a few "1998" breaks. What I love about all of this is, the wait is almost over. It's almost TIME

Reactions: 3 people
I say this is a good post. Good observation of different expectations. There is a minimum, and a maximum. I honestly think a 7 win minimum will have to come with a signature win in order for things to proceed under CDD. I also think 10 wins are possible, with a few "1998" breaks. What I love about all of this is, the wait is almost over. It's almost TIME

7 wins with this schedule is equivalent to a losing season.

Reactions: 9 people
The media doesn't know anything more about how this season will play out then anybody on here. I see no reason not to be very optimistic. If the offense is anything like we expect, and the defense is serviceable, we could be pretty good. That's pretty much what Arkansas was last year and they won 10 games. It should be fun to watch, if nothing else.

The media doesn't know anything more about how this season will play out then anybody on here. I see no reason not to be very optimistic. If the offense is anything like we expect, and the defense is serviceable, we could be pretty good. That's pretty much what Arkansas was last year and they won 10 games. It should be fun to watch, if nothing else.

Wins are always great but it would be a step up if we just started seeing some good football played against top ranked teams. I mean 3rd and goal at the one and just blow freakin' Ala-bubba off the ball and walk in for the Touchdown! Even if they eventually beat us give us some plays that look like Tennessee stinkin' football!:p

Reactions: 3 people

What say you?

It appears neither you or the "experts" are taking our weak schedule into account for our final record.

Reactions: 1 person
It appears neither you or the "experts" are taking our weak schedule into account for our final record.

The "experts" for the most part just think the Vols are not good enough to beat anyone on the schedule except the Non-Conference foes and Vandy and Kentucky.

I think a healthy team wins 8-9 games.

When two of the 3 best teams on your schedule are USClight, and UGA there is a lot of room for optimism.

Reactions: 2 people
The "experts" for the most part just think the Vols are not good enough to beat anyone on the schedule except the Non-Conference foes and Vandy and Kentucky.

I think a healthy team wins 8-9 games.

The only games IMO where there should even be a question is bammer, USC, UGA and UF. I will judge DD on those 4 games. The other 8 should be wins, PERIOD. So in essence we agree.

Wins are always great but it would be a step up if we just started seeing some good football played against top ranked teams. I mean 3rd and goal at the one and just blow freakin' Ala-bubba off the ball and walk in for the Touchdown! Even if they eventually beat us give us some plays that look like Tennessee stinkin' football!:p

It's hard to do with frosh. and soph.'s on your line.

It's hard to do with frosh. and soph.'s on your line.

They're not anymore. Except Tiny. So was it inexperience and lack of physical maturity or do they just not have what it takes to beat good DL's off the ball? We'll see.

What say you?

I say the fans aren't too far off from where Phil Steele thinks this team is. In fact, he ranks every single defensive unit in the nations top 20. The only units he doesn't regard so highly are the special teams and running backs, but he's calling for the Vols to be the second most improved rushing unit in the country. I think the optimism is warranted when the most accurate and highly regarded analyst says this team will be significantly improved in almost every way.

The only games IMO where there should even be a question is bammer, USC, UGA and UF. I will judge DD on those 4 games. The other 8 should be wins, PERIOD. So in essence we agree.

I agree with this. Mizzoo and NCST are games Tennessee has to win. The four you highlighted are really the tests to see if UT is a relevant contender in the conference. I would like to see a split in those.

I say the fans aren't too far off from where Phil Steele thinks this team is. In fact, he ranks every single defensive unit in the nations top 20. The only units he doesn't regard so highly are the special teams and running backs, but he's calling for the Vols to be the second most improved rushing unit in the country. I think the optimism is warranted when the most accurate and highly regarded analyst says this team will be significantly improved in almost every way.

If this team can run the ball to the point they are a credible threat to run for a first down on 3rd and 3 and can stop the run to the point that teams like USCe and Bama just can't line up and run over them then this can be a special season:pepper:

I am optimistic, but I have quit trying to predict what we will have.

In '05, I had high hopes, but things went off the rails.

Magazines on eve of '98 season said we lost too much on D from yr before ... but we saw what happened next.

If this team can run the ball to the point they are a credible threat to run for a first down on 3rd and 3 and can stop the run to the point that teams like USCe and Bama just can't line up and run over them then this can be a special season:pepper:

Steele has us running for 148 yards per game, which I would think would keep defenses honest, while his project 303 passing yards per game will crush them. Oh, and he has us scoring 30 points a game while our defense is only supposed to allow 16 points. That sounds like a winning formula to me.

VN Store

Back