How do you guys feel about the bowl game?

yeah, the bowl games are a joke now. you just need a .500 records to in one. every city has them, the best players don't play for fear of getting hurt. Us fans cheer all year, spending a bunch of money during the season and at the bowl game just to see most of our starters and star athletes end up not playing. it used to be a very proud moment for a team to play in a bowl game, but like you say, it's just a way to get more practice time and then play a glorified scrimmage.
And by April you'll be jonesing for a football fix and will rush to Neyland to watch a very controlled intra-squad scrimmage. Bowls games have always been about saluting the Srs that play one last time and getting a glimpse of the future. The bowl games without NC implications have always been exhibition games.

So you want our coach to just discard the players who have given their all and tell them "hey sorry you're not playing in the bowl game because it doesn't benefit us"?

We are all glad you are not the coach.
Welcome to football being about business, not feelings. In the days of NIL and all especially you’d think people would see this. Maybe we should start all our 4th stringers since they gave their all.

Realistically, it should be “thanks Joe, we’re gonna get you a few series and let you take the field for your last game as a vol. you’ve been great, you’ve made your money, and now we have to get some valuable experience going into next year.”

Under two weeks until the game. How do you Vols feel about the Citrus Bowl game at this point?

Tenn has taken a decent roster hit from the portal, especially in the secondary.

Iowa on the other hand has been basically untouched to this point by portal madness and none of the defensive players who are sure-fire NFL picks have opted out for Iowa either.

Still feel that your speed will be too much for Iowa and win the day for UT?

It is going to be like a spring practice game from Tennessee standpoint. Lot of inexperienced players playing. Lot of mistakes made. Fortunately playing a team with no offense.

I used to Hate Bowl Games. NOW I hate them more. Between NILs, Transfer Portal and Players sitting out waiting for the Pros.......bottom line IT Sux! Rarely does a team show up with all players and Coaches interested! At best, it gives some wanna be s a chance to show some ability!! NFL Minor league!!!

Reactions: jarhead
I used to Hate Bowl Games. NOW I hate them more. Between NILs, Transfer Portal and Players sitting out waiting for the Pros.......bottom line IT Sux! Rarely does a team show up with all players and Coaches interested! At best, it gives some wanna be s a chance to show some ability!! NFL Minor league!!!
yeah, the bowl games have become a joke.

Reactions: Vol4ever
I can’t speak for everyone, of course, but I have little interest in this game. I live in Florida but decided not to go unless Nico (our second team QB) was named the starter.
I agree. This game is basically pointless. A win or a loss is meaningless. The only thing that helps is getting experience for the young guys and getting the extra practices.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Kind of beating a dead horse, but I can never subscribe to the idea that bowl games are meaningless. I'm not sure when that became such a popular sentiment, but it's annoying as can be. I can see the day coming when, as soon as it is determined that the team won't make the playoff, the rest of the games are deemed meaningless and players start opting out.

The reason the NCAA needs to pump up the National Championship to sixteen teams. To many players opting out of regular bowl games and they have become just another game not much excitement if your not playing for a Championship. 16 you could use all the major bowl games and there would no longer be anyone who would complain about being left out.

Reactions: norrislakevol
The reason the NCAA needs to pump up the National Championship to sixteen teams. To many players opting out of regular bowl games and they have become just another game not much excitement if your not playing for a Championship. 16 you could use all the major bowl games and there would no longer be anyone who would complain about being left out.

The existence of the playoffs is the reason players are sitting. As playoffs expand you can expect to see players sit out from teams which don’t stand a punchers chance. The bigger the number of teams, the more likely players will opt out.

Reactions: cgrish
Imo you would still have opt outs from players on teams that felt they didn't have much of a chance to win it all

Reactions: DuckinVol
Haven't you noticed that you get no "likes" for such ridiculous comments? There's a reason.
You liked it enough to take time out of your Christmas holiday to comment on it. Thanks for the validation. I’ll post another like it tomorrow for you.

I agree. This game is basically pointless. A win or a loss is meaningless. The only thing that helps is getting experience for the young guys and getting the extra practices.
I’d like to finish in the top 25 maybe top 20 with a win for consecutive seasons. If we lose we will finish outside the top 25 and 5 losses doesn’t look very good. So maybe this game doesn’t have any national implications but it certainly isn’t meaningless. I’m sure Iowa would like to finish out beating a SEC team and with 11 wins.

My Christmas wish is that we play our youngsters... especially Nico...and get a win by any margin and come out healthy. That would be a great springboard into next season.
I’d love to see Heup rotate Milton and Nico during the game

Last edited:
Reactions: cgrish
To keep our average reputation as a superior football team, it is a MUST win! A loss would would hurt us badly. If I knew for a fact we would lose I had rather stay at home. Also, I have a point I want to make that I know will cause me problems but I do not care. If a player receives a full ride on scholarship to UT, and is totally healthy to play, I do not feel he has the right to opt out in a bowl game because it becomes part of the regular schedule. (now blast me because I do not care.)

You are a bad person. I hate you!

Mizzou is a damn good football team this year, as much as it pains me to say. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Ohio State honestly. As usual, we played Florida early when they still thought they had something to play for.
Its according how well Ohio States back-up QB does. Ryan Day seems to be satisfied with the QBs he has, he didnt go to the portal although a few QBs were interested in OSU. This will be a good game because this is Missouri's "as UCSe QB would say" Super Bowl. But seriously if Missouri wins this game , I believe it will be a big boost for their program. I'll have to hold my nose and pull for the Zoo to lose. I typically pull against all SEC schools except the Vols.

Its according how well Ohio States back-up QB does. Ryan Day seems to be satisfied with the QBs he has, he didnt go to the portal although a few QBs were interested in OSU. This will be a good game because this is Missouri's "as UCSe QB would say" Super Bowl. But seriously if Missouri wins this game , I believe it will be a big boost for their program. I'll have to hold my nose and pull for the Zoo to lose. I typically pull against all SEC schools except the Vols.

Sometimes the worst thing about football is both teams can’t lose.

Sadly, I just don't care. I suppose the extra practice time is beneficial but the season is over.

VN Store

Back