How come we can shoot all of a sudden?

Martin continues to say its guys learning and understanding the system...

He has also changed the system, whether he admits it or not. Many coaches will say that the team is listening and understanding more because It meshes with what coaches preach early in the year about staying the course. However, he changed the lineup, the rotation, and stopped insisting that we use the shot clock and become a half court team with solid D. Pick and roll isn't difficult if you just play ball.

He has also changed the system, whether he admits it or not. Many coaches will say that the team is listening and understanding more because It meshes with what coaches preach early in the year about staying the course. However, he changed the lineup, the rotation, and stopped insisting that we use the shot clock and become a half court team with solid D. Pick and roll isn't difficult if you just play ball.

Love CCM to death, but might be giving him too much credit here. Extremely hard to change a system mid-season. This throws me off too..."However, he changed the lineup, the rotation, and stopped insisting that we use the shot clock and become a half court team".

We have been running the same offense all year. The simple fact is Golden playing well makes that offense more efficient. We pass better, we set better screens, we cut harder, and guys are knocking shots down. Hard to see a guys that is not NBA potential making that big of an impact on a team, but he does on this 1.

Love CCM to death, but might be giving him too much credit here. Extremely hard to change a system mid-season. This throws me off too..."However, he changed the lineup, the rotation, and stopped insisting that we use the shot clock and become a half court team".

We have been running the same offense all year. The simple fact is Golden playing well makes that offense more efficient. We pass better, we set better screens, we cut harder, and guys are knocking shots down. Hard to see a guys that is not NBA potential making that big of an impact on a team, but he does on this 1.

Sorry, but you are mistaken, imo. All teams have a high pick and roll in their offense. We started using ours and dumped relying on the motion O to get us over 40 points. No players seem to have felt comfortable with it. We did change the lineup, of course. He has also adjusted the rotation, going with who is hot and who matches up, benching Hall, playing Chievous, or whatever it takes. We were also a half court team barely able to score 40 points because we were running a motion offense 30 feet from the basket, trying to work the shot clock down, and get it to Stokes at the end as everyone stands and watches. We even had a semblance of the John Wooden high post with Kenny Hall required to make an entry pass from the extended elbow. That was the plan, and it has changed.
We now push the ball, and we get it down low to Stokes early before the D can fully set up, when he already has his guy pinned. We also run very little motion offense compared to earlier in the year and have gone with the high pick and roll for anyone up top. We did run some motion late in the game last night to work the clock when we had a lead, but running it correctly isny why we are doubling our scoring output.

Sorry, but you are mistaken, imo. All teams have a high pick and roll in their offense. We started using ours and dumped relying on the motion O to get us over 40 points. No players seem to have felt comfortable with it. We did change the lineup, of course. He has also adjusted the rotation, going with who is hot and who matches up, benching Hall, playing Chievous, or whatever it takes. We were also a half court team barely able to score 40 points because we were running a motion offense 30 feet from the basket, trying to work the shot clock down, and get it to Stokes at the end as everyone stands and watches. We even had a semblance of the John Wooden high post with Kenny Hall required to make an entry pass from the extended elbow. That was the plan, and it has changed.
We now push the ball, and we get it down low to Stokes early before the D can fully set up, when he already has his guy pinned. We also run very little motion offense compared to earlier in the year and have gone with the high pick and roll for anyone up top. We did run some motion late in the game last night to work the clock when we had a lead, but running it correctly isny why we are doubling our scoring output.

Sorry guy, I just have a hard believing its was that complicated. The motion offense is one brand of offense. Your not saying UT started the year with only one particular style of offense are you? And that didnt work so we change to the high-post style offense? I suggest to you the same offense you are talking about was ran earlier in the year. It just wasnt ran effective.

Pulling Kenny Hall and giving Stoke full reign of the paint makes that offense click. IMO

Sorry guy, I just have a hard believing its was that complicated. The motion offense is one brand of offense. Your not saying UT started the year with only one particular style of offense are you? And that didnt work so we change to the high-post style offense? I suggest to you the same offense you are talking about was ran earlier in the year. It just wasnt ran effective.

Pulling Kenny Hall and giving Stoke full reign of the paint makes that offense click. IMO

I don't know how you came up with the bolded part. We were running a motion offense early and would also run a high post offense, which was terrible for spacing and put Stokes in a spot where a double team left him with no options.
Go back and watch the earlier games in the year, and watch the last few. We stopped running as much motion offense and went to the 4 guard lineup with the goal of getting it to Stokes on the block early and spotting up or cutting when the double team comes, or running a high pick and roll with spot up shooters. That's why the guys are playing better. It's easier, allows for more spacing and allows them to play ball rather than passing it 30 feet from the basket running motion that goes nowhere.

I think we are agreeing about the lineup helping the offense. The bold part was me misunderstanding your earlier point about UT starting with the motion offense and then changing to another style. I am simply saying the style we have been running the last 4 games, is an offense that has been in place all year. We just werent running them very well. Thats all I am saying.

I think we are agreeing about the lineup helping the offense. The bold part was me misunderstanding your earlier point about UT starting with the motion offense and then changing to another style. I am simply saying the style we have been running the last 4 games, is an offense that has been in place all year. We just werent running them very well. Thats all I am saying.

Gotcha. I just disagree. We weren't running the same offense and generally approaching offense the same way against Gtown and other games. We didn't have the same gameplan, lineup or mindset then, as CM was trying to figure his team out. Motion offense is stoppable. Pick in roll really isn't stoppable if run the right way and I think they have figured that out. We are scoring 80+ points vs 40, and it's not just from running the same offense better.

You don't think it's possible he was instructing guys to do those things and they're just now getting it? I renrnber him saying multiple times he wants them to push it but the guys just weren't:

You don't think it's possible he was instructing guys to do those things and they're just now getting it? I renrnber him saying multiple times he wants them to push it but the guys just weren't:

Gotta agree. Coaches coach and players win games. The gameplan all year was to win...

It's a little bit of everything of course, but we would never give it to Stokes down low early in the year. We would back it out and run motion, then try to get something going with 10 seconds on the clock. We would always let the D set up then run motion. I would always complain about that pass to the wing as teams knew we needed it to start our set and sometimes we wouldn't even get the pass made until late.
Our offensive game plan with the 4-1 has changed dramatically, imo. The sets, the pace, the spacing, where Stokes gets the ball, where our cutters are, etc, etc all looks different and he is letting them play ball, rather than worrying about making the defense work for a full shot clock.

Gotta agree. Coaches coach and players win games. The gameplan all year was to win...

gameplan early in the year was to make it a halfcourt game and win a low scoring match by tough D and running it through Stokes late in the shot clock.
That's not the gameplan anymore. It's hard to double offensive output without having adjusted the offense and gameplan.

It's a little bit of everything of course, but we would never give it to Stokes down low early in the year. We would back it out and run motion, then try to get something going with 10 seconds on the clock. We would always let the D set up then run motion. I would always complain about that pass to the wing as teams knew we needed it to start our set and sometimes we wouldn't even get the pass made until late.
Our offensive game plan with the 4-1 has changed dramatically, imo. The sets, the pace, the spacing, where Stokes gets the ball, where our cutters are, etc, etc all looks different and he is letting them play ball, rather than worrying about making the defense work for a full shot clock.

I agree things look different and are being executed differently, no doubt. I just wonder (I don't have a clue) as to whether this is what Martin pictured early in the year and the guys (mainly kenny) weren't executing it. So by making the lineup change, golden getting healthy and fresh, and shots falls...is this what he's been trying to get to all along and they guys are just now executing. As I said, I don't know one way or another, but just my opinion.

Martin has even said that this is the team and style he envisioned so who knows...regardless, I hope it continues.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I just disagree. We weren't running the same offense and generally approaching offense the same way against Gtown and other games. We didn't have the same gameplan, lineup or mindset then, as CM was trying to figure his team out. Motion offense is stoppable. Pick in roll really isn't stoppable if run the right way and I think they have figured that out. We are scoring 80+ points vs 40, and it's not just from running the same offense better.

To add to this, plays like the one pick and roll from Tuesday night with Golden and Stokes where Golden was 5 feet into the paint before really being pressured and jump passed to Stokes for the basket just did not exist during the first part of the season.

Are you talking about the little dribble hand-off thing between the PG and a wing player, that seemed to start every half-court set during November? If so, I don't miss that at all.

Are you talking about the little dribble hand-off thing between the PG and a wing player, that seemed to start every half-court set during November? If so, I don't miss that at all.

We actually end up dribbling and handing many times because the other team knew our motion set and knew that was the first pass, so they deny the ball. We would spend 10 seconds trying to get the ball to the wing 25 feet away. Now, we pick high and attack the rim or spot up, and its beautiful basketball at its purest. Any team that can execute a pick and roll and hit some spot up shots can just about beat anyone at anytime. Our advantage is that we have trae, Jr, Jordan, and Moore that can all run it right now and there is no way any team is set up defensively to stop each one.

VN Store

Back