How come we can shoot all of a sudden?

Were no longer walking it up and taking shots were on the move getting in rhythm. We played slow we shot bad. Were now an up tempo team and shots are falling.

Last edited:
Were no longer walking it up and taking shots were on the move getting in rhythm. We played slow we shot bad. Were not an up tempo team and shots are falling.

ball players tend to shoot better when they are just playing. When you walk it up and waste time, you get out of rhythm, and get robotic. That hurts shooting as well. I hope we don't go through a phase where we revert back to it.

Well stated. Zo finally changed from a D first, controlled O game to the faster tempo score at will mentality. He didn't back off D being important and they have lapses at times, especially in rebounding. But the ability to score at a faster pace makes up for it

Change in head coach philosophy, plain and simple.

Trae Golden is finally healthy!

Armani Moore has been in the starting lineup during this surge.

More Moore, less Hall - and a resurrected Golden, a hot McRae, steady Josh, and the coming out of The Big Kid. Too bad we waited this late to find our stride.

Time to man-up: Martin has really impressed me with the change in game plan and line up. We are still playing great D, but we now have an offense to be reckoned with. Keep it up, coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Time to man-up: Martin has really impressed me with the change in game plan and line up. We are still playing great D, but we now have an offense to be reckoned with. Keep it up, coach.

I agree and I'm happy about the improvement. I just wish he had been quicker to make the necessary changes before the NCAA was on the verge of being out of reach. Like the other poster said though, better late than never.

Jordan has turned some kind of corner, he has fluid motion and a sweet stroke. I love it, go Vols!

As well as Stokes & Golden. Moore is going to be awesome with more experience. If Stokes stays next year, this team will be sick next season, and I mean in a good way.

I thought we had to play slow to win? :)

Key has always been taking care of the ball, and transition defense. We tried playing fast and we were turning it over 20+ times a game, and letting teams shoot 50% from the field. I don't know the final numbers, but LSU is a good transition team, and we kept their fast break scoring low. In this stretch of wins our tunrovers are at a much more manageable number, and has resulted in much better scoring.

I think it's no coincidence that this resurgence has coincided with Golden returning to golden form. It's allowed McRae to play off the ball where he now can really focus on scoring and he's doing an incredible job at it. We are really getting the ball inside on majority of our possessions, and working our O from there...which because of good passing from Stokes has resulted in many easy and open buckets.

More guards on the floor is one reason. More shooters.

The players seem to be moving a lot more than earlier in the season. They are actually running up and down the court and not standing around. Stokes is looking s if he wants to play rather than camp out under the basket or only set screens at the top of the key. They seem to enjoy playing the game. I don't know why the change, but it shows me that we can win games when they play with tempo and confidence.

I'm impressed with Moore. That kid has some major hops and I'd love to see him continue to improve.

If, and I do say if, that's what it is then there is absolutely no excuse for Cuonzo not having done this much much sooner to help our offense.

One reason coaches like Urban Meyer, Saban, and Calipari are so successful is the ability to modify their system to suit their players without giving up their core. I agree that Cuonzo probably should have realized the need for an adjustment sooner, but you have to remember that Golden was hurt and if you're going to speed up the offense, you need a healthy experienced point guard.

One reason coaches like Urban Meyer, Saban, and Calipari are so successful is the ability to modify their system to suit their players without giving up their core. I agree that Cuonzo probably should have realized the need for an adjustment sooner, but you have to remember that Golden was hurt and if you're going to speed up the offense, you need a healthy experienced point guard.
Not sure if it's Cuonzo adjusting or his squad learning to play together.
any potent motion offense takes 2 to 3 years to develop.
Players have to learn each others tendencies. We may just now be seeing a squad on the brink.
Martin has always preached aggression on both ends of the court and attacking the glass.

There's a whole lot more dribble-drives to the basket from a lot of people, not just those we expect from Golden. That opens up the mid-range shots, and apparently gets us more open looks on the perimeter too.

Surely health has made a difference for Golden. So has a change in attitude. I think the coaches worked a bit too hard to make him a square peg in a round hole, an excellent shooting guard into an assist-first point guard. Now that he is driving more, shooting more, pushing the break more, his assists come more naturally, not as forced. Is that because of coaching or just him deciding to be who he is? I dunno. Who cares. But it makes Stokes and Jordan better at what they do.

Speaking of Stokes, did you notice him say enough is enough a couple of times down the stretch and just bull his way to the hoop? I think he got tired of being outplayed by LSU's stud. When he brings that attitude all day, every day, look out. He's still a kid, still learning.

Last edited:
There's a whole lot more dribble-drives to the basket from a lot of people, not just those we expect from Golden. That opens up the mid-range shots, and apparently gets us more open looks on the perimeter too.

Nothing against you, but that phrase gets on my nerves. I am not sure how it slipped into basketball lexicon other than Calipari's success. There are no other types of drives in basketball except while dribbling.

/random rant

Nothing against you, but that phrase gets on my nerves. I am not sure how it slipped into basketball lexicon other than Calipari's success. There are no other types of drives in basketball except while dribbling.

/random rant

lol, I dont know I see some pretty good studder-step drives, feet shuffling drives, and 5 step-without-a-dribble-drives in the NBA all the time...

But your point is taken.

lol, I dont know I see some pretty good studder-step drives, feet shuffling drives, and 5 step-without-a-dribble-drives in the NBA all the time...

But your point is taken.

Oh Man, I know. It's amazing to see what guys get away with today. Euro-step, jump stops, and crab dribbles (or whatever Lebron called it). I also hate the thing where a guy takes his two rhythm steps to take a 3pt shot, then pump fakes, and drives by a guy. Drives me nuts.

Not sure if it's Cuonzo adjusting or his squad learning to play together.
any potent motion offense takes 2 to 3 years to develop.
Players have to learn each others tendencies. We may just now be seeing a squad on the brink.
Martin has always preached aggression on both ends of the court and attacking the glass.

Martin continues to say its guys learning and understanding the system...

VN Store

Back