Home Brewers

The two steps I took that improved my beer the most dramatically were: A) going to an all-glass, two stage fermentation (Lots of folks believe in a quick fermentation in plastic followed by aging it in a carboy; all I know is I had a lot less disappointment once I moved to all glass. Maybe my plastic bucket just sucked.) and B) and more importantly, going to liquid yeast. Liquid yeast is expensive. But it was night and day compared to the packets of the dry stuff.

I would seriously consider telling a new brewer not to bother bottling at all. Bottling is a nightmare. Saving the bottles, washing the bottles, sanitizing the bottles, filling the bottles. It's awful. I think for the new brewer I'd recommend starting with the Party Pig, which I had good success with. It's basically two big bottles per five gallon batch that you then get semi-draft beer from. The Grolsch-style bottles are way easier, but seriously: consider not bottling. If I ever start up again I'm going kegging-only.

I would strongly recommend all glass fermenting vessels and liquid yeasts. Glass is much easier to keep sanitized. Liquid yeasts are more expensive, but the quality and dependability of liquid yeasts outweigh the cost IMO.

I will never bottle another beer. Years ago, my brewing buddies and I found about 150 5 gallon aluminum kegs in a recycling yard. These kegs had been used by Coca Cola distributors and had been replaced by cheaper plastic kegs. We bought them all for $5 a pop. Best money we ever spent. I would suggest anything but bottles. They are just too much trouble.

Brew on!!

Edit: Sorry about butchering the quote!!!

Last edited:
Think it's a brandy? Fwiw, doesn't smell, or taste like apple cinnamon. Sorry for all the questions, this is my first ever jar of shine

Pour a little in a cap and set it on fire, preferably outside. It should almost burn a clear flame if its true shine

The trouble with illegal whiskey, apart from the illegal part, is they cut it with some crazy stuff. Bleach, rubbing alcohol, etc., to make it go farther

Also make the mash out of dirty water, pond water.

Others dont throw away enough of the initial distill. That contains the methanol. Consuming the methanol can make you go blind amd enough will kill you

Ok. I was wrong. Does taste like apple cinnamon, very smooth, but burns going down if that makes sense. Tastes like no other alcohol I have ever had before. I'm in love with this crap.

my wife brewed a home-made ginger ale that turned out being more like ginger beer. We didn't drink much of it but it got me thinking, probably gonna get a kit soon. Can never have enough beer.

Get some dark rum and make dark and stormies out of the ginger beer ASAP.

Reactions: 1 person
Have a nut brown ale wort boiling right now, 20 minutes left before I cool and ferment. I am new to this, but of course I love beer. These kits are amazingly simple to brew.

Ok. I was wrong. Does taste like apple cinnamon, very smooth, but burns going down if that makes sense. Tastes like no other alcohol I have ever had before. I'm in love with this crap.

My first jar was the same way. My friend and I finished the whole thing almost in one night. I was 130 lbs as a Sophomore in hs and I don't know if I've ever been so ****ed up.

Have a nut brown ale wort boiling right now, 20 minutes left before I cool and ferment. I am new to this, but of course I love beer. These kits are amazingly simple to brew.

Let us know how it turns out. Nut Brown Ale and Red Ales have turned out the best for me with the kits. They are also good bases to start adding additional ingredients if you ever start wanting to experiment.

I got great fermentation so far, wondering if I may need to switch to a blow off hose. I used the 5 gal carboy and not the 6 gal. Oh well, nothing crazy yet.

Next I want to brew a stout, I love dark beers.

OK, had to go with the blowoff. Good thing I was checking on it. Caught it before it got out of control.

Reading alot and it says there is nothing wrong with it. Just makes me nervous, dont want to screw up my first batch.

OK, had to go with the blowoff. Good thing I was checking on it. Caught it before it got out of control.

Reading alot and it says there is nothing wrong with it. Just makes me nervous, dont want to screw up my first batch.

Our second batch we had to yeast twice, didn't take the first time. One thing for sure, you have to check on how the baby is burping. Just like being a parent for the first time - no sleep in the first week..... :)

What kind of yeast did you use that time? I used wyeast smack pack and it went crazy. I need to video it. That thing is angry lol

What kind of yeast did you use that time? I used wyeast smack pack and it went crazy. I need to video it. That thing is angry lol

We used a liquid yeast, forget the exact name. We never had the problem of over active yeast but I think the liquid packs we got were too much for 5 gallon. Our beers always tasted yeasty. We switched to dry yeast and the taste is better. I still believe liquid yeast is better, we just have to get something bigger than 5 gallons.

Your youngins aint angry just hungry :popcorn:

Well, this morning you coul tell the fermentation has slowed. Just like I read, it will be active the first 24-48 hrs and then slow down. Time to just let it mellow out and forget for 2 weeks.

Should I use the full 5oz package of priming sugar when it comes bottling time? I have read a lot of variance regarding priming. What do you all think? I still have time, but just wondering.

Should I use the full 5oz package of priming sugar when it comes bottling time? I have read a lot of variance regarding priming. What do you all think? I still have time, but just wondering.

Don't know bout quantity but my dad who has brewed since the late '70's makes a big deal about making sure the priming sugar is evenly mixed. When we transfer we have the hose create a circular motion and also stir with sterilized big wiffle spoon. We pour small amounts in as it fills up in the bottling bucket. The intention is to have the sugar water distributed as equally as possible.

Have no idea if this is important or not but my dad swears by it. He claims the carbonation will not be equal if you don't and some bottles will pop and others will have little carbonation. If anything, it sounds good and makes you feel like you're doing something important. :)

Don't know bout quantity but my dad who has brewed since the late '70's makes a big deal about making sure the priming sugar is evenly mixed. When we transfer we have the hose create a circular motion and also stir with sterilized big wiffle spoon. We pour small amounts in as it fills up in the bottling bucket. The intention is to have the sugar water distributed as equally as possible.

Have no idea if this is important or not but my dad swears by it. He claims the carbonation will not be equal if you don't and some bottles will pop and others will have little carbonation. If anything, it sounds good and makes you feel like you're doing something important. :)

Read that it is good to mix the priming solution. Avoid bubbles when you bottle. So mixing at different levels woul make sense.

Does not help with my quantity problem:p

Just opened my first bottle to try and its awesome. Ready to try a Stout now

I love dark beer, Stouts my obvious favorite. No idea what prompted me to go with a brown ale as my cherry.

Am buying a stout this weekend as my next project for sure. Post what you try next.

Just opened my first bottle to try and its awesome. Ready to try a Stout now

Post a photo, how well does it form a head (no homo)? Did you notice the freshness compared to store bought?

The first is always the best or at least the most memorable.

Post a photo, how well does it form a head (no homo)? Did you notice the freshness compared to store bought?

The first is always the best or at least the most memorable.

The freshness is what I noticed most. Not too much of a head yet, but not bad at all. Only been in the bottle 2 weeks. I expect the head to improve with a little more time

Last edited:
Read that it is good to mix the priming solution. Avoid bubbles when you bottle. So mixing at different levels woul make sense.

Does not help with my quantity problem:p

I love dark beer, Stouts my obvious favorite. No idea what prompted me to go with a brown ale as my cherry.

Am buying a stout this weekend as my next project for sure. Post what you try next.

A great stout is hard to beat

Im going with an Oatmeal Stout

Then Im probably going to do an IPA after that

VN Store

Back