HOLLY could be the worst coach....

Yes, there is that element but let's be completely accurate. Holly did not inherit the program right after the Candace Parker era. She took over after a few year drought, including a 2nd round loss to mighty Ball State with the so-called baby vols. Following that anomaly, the LVs become a team that could not get past the elite 8.

Still an elite program but not the destination it once was.

Most D1 programs have good to great facilities so that is not the point of differentiation that it sometimes made out to be.

But last but not least, inherited a strong program is not guarantee that the next coach will keep it going.

We have the cautionary tales of UCLA under Wooden among others that could be named. It is not uncommon for programs to fall into real doldrums when the legend coach leaves.

Holly can't coach. Wes Moore at UT would kill it!

Reactions: 1 person
To be fair, Holly has had advantages not available to Wes Moore. Holly inherited the most storied program in the history of the women's game, with the best facilities, the best fan support, the best of everything. Many top players still want to come to Knoxville, and I can't help but believe that those advantages are the biggest reasons.

Wes Moore, if HE had inherited the Lady Vols program when Holly did, may very well have equaled or -- as I suspect -- bettered her performance.

It really isn't a fair comparison, IMO, given that the playing field is skewed.

Yes, lets see what Holly would be doing at NC State. Smdh

Players are not robots. A PG should read the play, and if Russell is triple covered, go with option B.

Hayes is a freshman and makes freshman mistakes. Though she makes a lot of plays, she does anticipate well (a bit like a QB who does not pick up on a disguised coverage) and she loses focus on defense (that one does get under my skin).

On the first point, I am sure in her High school career, she could make those kind of passes because defenders generally weren't has fast or as rangy as in the college game. Part of the adjustment that high ranked freshman players have to make is that they can't impose their will on the game as easily as in High school level competition.

Those shortcomings need to be a point of corrective emphasis right now and I am sure they are being addressed. Unfortunately, it can take time for player to develop new habits.

Forcing the ball into the post by standing outside the arc and patting the ball ,staring into the post then trying to pass into a sagging zone defense has been happening for 4 years now.I do not have the patience to go back and view every game in last 4 years so can not substantiate it as fact but I would venture to say that at least 40 % of turnovers in last 4 years occurred when trying to pass the ball into the post when tripled/doubled teamed .

Yes, there is that element but let's be completely accurate. Holly did not inherit the program right after the Candace Parker era. She took over after a few year drought, including a 2nd round loss to mighty Ball State with the so-called baby vols. Following that anomaly, the LVs become a team that could not get past the elite 8.

Most D1 programs have good to great facilities so that is not the point of differentiation that it sometimes made out to be.

But last but not least, inherited a strong program is not guarantee that the next coach will keep it going.

We have the cautionary tales of UCLA under Wooden among others that could be named. It is not uncommon for programs to fall into real doldrums when the legend coach leaves.

Ball State happened because Pat Summitt's lethal brain disease had already greatly diminished her ability to lead. She was a mere shadow of her former self. Gosh, I can remember reading an interview with Shekinna Stricklen in which she talked about wishing Pat would give her "the stare"... that she wished Pat would get up in her grill. Of course, that was before the diagnosis, so Stricklen, I'm sure, later realized that was the reason Pat wasn't behaving like she expected.

But you are leaving out a major reason that the cupboard was still quite full for Holly after Pat's retirement: With all the love and support and honors and publicity that Pat's illness brought about, it would be naive to think that all that didn't make some recruits even MORE determined to cone to Tennessee to honor all that Pat did for tge game and for women in general.

Yes, two major recruits were lost (Davis and DeShields) with the news and subsequent uncertainty about the future, but it seems to me that there was tremendous motivation on the parts of present, past and future Lady Vols to get back to tge Final Four -- for Pat.

All this was a gift to whomever took the program over. Holly has done an outstanding job recruiting, but Pat we all know that still plays a role in that, too.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is that, for many years now (beginning while a mentally compromised Summitt was still at the helm) Tennessee has probably been in the top 3 in recruiting but has had less success with some of the best players than they probably should have. And the exact same excuses have been trotted out every season -- the players aren't doing their part. Really? Can we really still think that leadership isn't the actual problem? :redface:

Reactions: 3 people

When Holly first took over, was Tennessee not the pre-season top 4 in ranking? Has her excuse always been we are young? Can we ever say that we don't have good players. It's a shame that high-players of the year like MR and Diamond have no ring.

Yes, we may want to blame Taurasi or Brittney Griner.

I think what has happened to this years team is they are taking on Holly's personality and that is one that is not toughness. Holly has run a program in the past of letting players get away with things that should be corrected immediately. Win or lose that defense we played at Arkansas would have been a severe questioning of this teams desire to play hard if I were coach. The effort they showed on defense in that game was totally embarrassing.

Ball State happened because Pat Summitt's lethal brain disease had already greatly diminished her ability to lead. She was a mere shadow of her former self. Gosh, I can remember reading an interview with Shekinna Stricklen in which she talked about wishing Pat would give her "the stare"... that she wished Pat would get up in her grill. Of course, that was before the diagnosis, so Stricklen, I'm sure, later realized that was the reason Pat wasn't behaving like she expected.

But you are leaving out a major reason that the cupboard was still quite full for Holly after Pat's retirement: With all the love and support and honors and publicity that Pat's illness brought about, it would be naive to think that all that didn't make some recruits even MORE determined to cone to Tennessee to honor all that Pat did for tge game and for women in general.

Yes, two major recruits were lost (Davis and DeShields) with the news and subsequent uncertainty about the future, but it seems to me that there was tremendous motivation on the parts of present, past and future Lady Vols to get back to tge Final Four -- for Pat.

All this was a gift to whomever took the program over. Holly has done an outstanding job recruiting, but Pat we all know that still plays a role in that, too.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is that, for many years now (beginning while a mentally compromised Summitt was still at the helm) Tennessee has probably been in the top 3 in recruiting but has had less success with some of the best players than they probably should have. And the exact same excuses have been trotted out every season -- the players aren't doing their part. Really? Can we really still think that leadership isn't the actual problem? :redface:

A couple of things. It is not clear exactly when Pat's disease really started to effect her. But, following the Ball State loss, the LVs won 3 consecutive SEC titles and had 3 straight elite 8s. Perhaps if CPS had been not so afflicted, they might have cracked the top 4 but we will never know for sure.

Now look at the team that Holly had the next season (which won the SEC again and made it to the elite 8)

University of Tennessee Athletics

That was a good roster (Graves was a standout freshman) but not on par with the Stricklen/Johnson team and certainly not on par with the CP3 era.

BUT, my point was not to blame the players but simply to note that Holly took over a program that had slipped a notch (still elite but not THE program) and the program is more or less staying at the same level and perhaps moving back up to being a final four contender.

Of course, we all want the outcome where a coach comes in and returns the LVs to its glory years. But, the history of storied programs is that they often go into a steeper decline after the legend leaves.

BUT, my point was not to blame the players but simply to note that Holly took over a program that had slipped a notch (still elite but not THE program) and the program is more or less staying at the same level and perhaps moving back up to being a final four contender.

Of course, we all want the outcome where a coach comes in and returns the LVs to its glory years. But, the history of storied programs is that they often go into a steeper decline after the legend leaves.

I am personally not expecting Holly to be the coach Pat was in her prime. That would be a ridiculous expectation of ANY coach for many reasons.

That said, I feel that with the recruits that have come to Tennessee in the past six years that having an expectation that the Lady Vols not lose regularly to teams like Alabama is not unreasonable. There have been so many negative "firsts" during this period. Off the top of my head I can't list them, but we all know that there have been too many -- way too many to suggest that the program is "more or less staying at the same level and perhaps moving back up to being a final four contender." I can't make that leap.

To be brutally honest, I have never, and will never, expect Holly to coach a team into the Final Four, much less national championships. This is not a slam on Holly. Only a handful of women's coaches have managed to win the national championship, and to expect that of Holly -- a lifelong support player -- seems ridiculous to me.

But it is NOT unreasonable to expect that nearly every time the Lady Vols take the floor that even the WORST opponents not suddenly look infinitely better, and for games/opponents that used to be cakewalks not become regulatly-occurring embarrassing losses. There is no excuse good enough for the huge pile of embarrassing losses and "first-time" negative records over the last few years.

I know, I know. It really ISN'T doing any good to keep talking about it. Of course, madtown, I'll read and appreciate your always excellent thoughts... but I guess I'm just going to let it go after this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I am personally not expecting Holly to be the coach Pat was in her prime. That would be a ridiculous expectation of ANY coach for many reasons.

That said, I feel that with the recruits that have come to Tennessee in the past six years that having an expectation that the Lady Vols not lose regularly to teams like Alabama is not unreasonable. There have been so many negative "firsts" during this period. Off the top of my head I can't list them, but we all know that there have been too many -- way too many to suggest that the program is "more or less staying at the same level and perhaps moving back up to being a final four contender." I can't make that leap.

To be brutally honest, I have never, and will never, expect Holly to coach a team into the Final Four, much less national championships. This is not a slam on Holly. Only a handful of women's coaches have managed to win the national championship, and to expect that of Holly -- a lifelong support player -- seems ridiculous to me.

But it is NOT unreasonable to expect that nearly every time the Lady Vols take the floor that even the WORST opponents not suddenly look infinitely better, and for games/opponents that used to be cakewalks not become regulatly-occurring embarrassing losses. There is no excuse good enough for the huge pile of embarrassing losses and "first-time" negative records over the last few years.

I know, I know. It really ISN'T doing any good to keep talking about it. Of course, madtown, I'll read and appreciate your always excellent thoughts... but I guess I'm just going to let it go after this.

It's not just Holly. It's CHW and staff.
So far this staff seems to be good for her. Tonight I saw BG getting up and high-fiving after a run, Dean is motivated. CHW seems to take their input.

CHW is growing...She timed out'ed to stop a run tonight. She subbed reserves in at 4:41 instead of letting the starters wear out...She's making strides.

Reactions: 4 people
The team went 5 years under CPS without making it to the final four (though she was ill during several of those) and I believe Holly is now in year six. The shadow of the final fours does not last that long in the dynamic of elite recruiting.

So, you have to give Holly credit for the talent she has brought in.

I have lived in Knoxville for most of my life. Fell into tickets and went to my first lady vol game this year. Been to several now. They are not coached. The one handed passes, the not stopping the ball that's driving.. THey have some good athletes and 5 stars, but as with against Ms State, when they hit teams that actually play basketball they stall. 21-5 with a sweet 16 berth *shrug* The amount of dribble dribble dribble shoot is unreal. They do make them sometimes but teams drive the ball on them non stop and when they meet a team that isn't just street ball they fall apart. They don't play defense, they don't set up offense. Atheleticism beats 90% of the teams *shrug* As someone who wants to watch basketball the "just chuck it at the basket after 20 dribbles and no passes" is weird to me.

I have lived in Knoxville for most of my life. Fell into tickets and went to my first lady vol game this year. Been to several now. They are not coached. The one handed passes, the not stopping the ball that's driving.. THey have some good athletes and 5 stars, but as with against Ms State, when they hit teams that actually play basketball they stall. 21-5 with a sweet 16 berth *shrug* The amount of dribble dribble dribble shoot is unreal. They do make them sometimes but teams drive the ball on them non stop and when they meet a team that isn't just street ball they fall apart. They don't play defense, they don't set up offense. Atheleticism beats 90% of the teams *shrug* As someone who wants to watch basketball the "just chuck it at the basket after 20 dribbles and no passes" is weird to me.

The problems you are stating in your post are due to CHW lack of understanding of basic basketball fundamentals, therefore, she is not able to teach her players. I am including player discipline as a fundamental. She lacks the toughness to enforce discpline on her players. Unfortunately, this will be a LV problem for years to come. Holly will always win more games than she loses because she can attract top talent due to Pat's legacy and her own recruiting capability.

The problems you are stating in your post are due to CHW lack of understanding of basic basketball fundamentals, therefore, she is not able to teach her players. I am including player discipline as a fundamental. She lacks the toughness to enforce discpline on her players. Unfortunately, this will be a LV problem for years to come. Holly will always win more games than she loses because she can attract top talent due to Pat's legacy and her own recruiting capability.

We have a manager like this at work. The person knows the right things to do but they have trouble with leadership and confrontation. And I don't mean angry confrontation, but the type where you tell somebody they are doing something wrong and explain it and teach them. I don't know all the players by name yet but on one possession, the player had made poor passes (one handed) that were low percentage and the player missed. Holly angrily clapped her hands together and called for the sub. She knew what she was looking at wasn't good or right. Then the player came off the floor, she high fived them and said nothing. You don't even have to be mean to them. It's a personality trait that she lacks. You can't change who people are and Holly is a great coach and a great person (from what I understand) Just not a HEAD coach. It's also very clear after each timeout her players sit there for 30-60 seconds while she talks to her coaches about strategy and sometimes doesn't even talk to the players during a timeout.

And you can say well sometimes she blows up on them and screams. I've seen that too. That's a different type of confrontation. That's just anger and foot stomping.

It's not just Holly. It's CHW and staff.
So far this staff seems to be good for her. Tonight I saw BG getting up and high-fiving after a run, Dean is motivated. CHW seems to take their input.

CHW is growing...She timed out'ed to stop a run tonight. She subbed reserves in at 4:41 instead of letting the starters wear out...She's making strides.

Sounds like you think Holly is new to the game and doesn't know how to manage the game. I might agree with that if she was not a Veteran Coach and a very good player. No, She can not coach and She knows it!

Coaches can't be excellent at every aspect of the game or they wouldn't have need of assistants. Assistants are more than just eyes,., they often are sought out for the very reason you are looking at....Mom can't be a Dad. I KNOW I can't be a Mom...Yen and yang... My daughter can't batt her eyelids and melt her mom's heart, nor can she influence me by telling me "it is 50% off?" ......... 50% off - Of what?

Holly did get in their face yesterday. From my seat I was able to see everything during timeouts and stoppages. Dean was vocal. Bridgette was vocal. ...The bottom line was CHW did do something to try to change the game (getting the girl's attention by getting upset) and that is exactly what the girls needed. They never went into their funk this game. It was decided early and stayed decided.

Also, Mercedes didn't disappear during this game. In fact, she was downright aggressive at times. We've got players stepping up and having career games, when the senior leaders have off-games. This team is ready for its second run. It more closely resembles the team at the start a little more now.

CHW seems to be trying to do things to get ready for it too. She time-out'ed to stop a run and got in the girls faces during that TO...She rested our starters much earlier in this game starting to bring them out at 4:41...CHW will never be the in-your-face that Pat could be....But she has three assistants who have to step up and be what CHW isn't, in the coaching world. . .
"Reading players for the exact need that they have at that moment" is not a fundamental basketball coaching trait. It is a personal trait that is developed from years of working with players and learning personalities and pushing buttons until you learn "which" button to push to turn a kids game.

We coaches are students of the game, yes, but we specialize, just like players do. I prefer to work with forwards, so I study the techniques of teaching players in that position much more than I would a PG....therefore, I choose a PG coach.

Reactions: 5 people
Sounds like you think Holly is new to the game and doesn't know how to manage the game. I might agree with that if she was not a Veteran Coach and a very good player. No, She can not coach and She knows it!

Veteran assistant coach and "very good player" has little to do with head-coaching... She is now a head coach of 6 years of in-game leadership.

PB, this team is elite eight minimum. Top 3 in SEC minimum.
That is my stance on this year's team...Anything short of these results, is a reason for concern.

We have a manager like this at work. The person knows the right things to do but they have trouble with leadership and confrontation. And I don't mean angry confrontation, but the type where you tell somebody they are doing something wrong and explain it and teach them. I don't know all the players by name yet but on one possession, the player had made poor passes (one handed) that were low percentage and the player missed. Holly angrily clapped her hands together and called for the sub. She knew what she was looking at wasn't good or right. Then the player came off the floor, she high fived them and said nothing. You don't even have to be mean to them. It's a personality trait that she lacks. You can't change who people are and Holly is a great coach and a great person (from what I understand) Just not a HEAD coach. It's also very clear after each timeout her players sit there for 30-60 seconds while she talks to her coaches about strategy and sometimes doesn't even talk to the players during a timeout.

And you can say well sometimes she blows up on them and screams. I've seen that too. That's a different type of confrontation. That's just anger and foot stomping.

So you basically just came in this thread to critique Holly and her coaching style and you don’t even know the player’s names?!?! Do you even follow the team? Then Coach J follows up and proves your theory wrong with facts, in person facts.

This myth that Holly doesn’t do enough on the sidelines can be disproved if you ACTUALLY GO TO THE GAMES. At this point I really don’t know what else Holly can do besides develop a soul piercing stare similar to Pat's (which won’t happen) in order to please the older generation of fans.

So you basically just came in this thread to critique Holly and her coaching style and you don’t even know the player’s names?!?! Do you even follow the team? Then Coach J follows up and proves your theory wrong with facts, in person facts.

This myth that Holly doesn’t do enough on the sidelines can be disproved if you ACTUALLY GO TO THE GAMES. At this point I really don’t know what else Holly can do besides develop a soul piercing stare similar to Pat's (which won’t happen) in order to please the older generation of fans.

Would it had made a difference to you if he/she knew the players names? Probably not!

Myth about Holly's coaching? Lol reality bites for you!

Holly developing good coaching skills would be a start but she's in year 6 on the sidelines. Her first game as our Lady Vol coach the team loss to Chatanooga for the first time EVER! That was an Omen for real.

GOLadyVols but not Holly.

Imo almost any of us here on volnation could coach this team to a winning record due to the talent on this team. But I will say we seem to have a team that is made up of not bad looking girls. I say that in a non sexist fun loving way. Lol. They aren't ugly like uconn. Lol

Coaches can't be excellent at every aspect of the game or they wouldn't have need of assistants. Assistants are more than just eyes,., they often are sought out for the very reason you are looking at....Mom can't be a Dad. I KNOW I can't be a Mom...Yen and yang... My daughter can't batt her eyelids and melt her mom's heart, nor can she influence me by telling me "it is 50% off?" ......... 50% off - Of what?

Holly did get in their face yesterday. From my seat I was able to see everything during timeouts and stoppages. Dean was vocal. Bridgette was vocal. ...The bottom line was CHW did do something to try to change the game (getting the girl's attention by getting upset) and that is exactly what the girls needed. They never went into their funk this game. It was decided early and stayed decided.

Also, Mercedes didn't disappear during this game. In fact, she was downright aggressive at times. We've got players stepping up and having career games, when the senior leaders have off-games. This team is ready for its second run. It more closely resembles the team at the start a little more now.

CHW seems to be trying to do things to get ready for it too. She time-out'ed to stop a run and got in the girls faces during that TO...She rested our starters much earlier in this game starting to bring them out at 4:41...CHW will never be the in-your-face that Pat could be....But she has three assistants who have to step up and be what CHW isn't, in the coaching world. . .
"Reading players for the exact need that they have at that moment" is not a fundamental basketball coaching trait. It is a personal trait that is developed from years of working with players and learning personalities and pushing buttons until you learn "which" button to push to turn a kids game.

We coaches are students of the game, yes, but we specialize, just like players do. I prefer to work with forwards, so I study the techniques of teaching players in that position much more than I would a PG....therefore, I choose a PG coach.

Appreciate your comments very much, Jump. Well-said.

Very well stated.

Holly needs to teach intelligent passing. If a pass looks to risky it is and shouldn't be made.
She also has to teach this bunch that when there are 30 seconds or less on the clock you take the last shot of that quarter. You do not fire one up with 13 seconds left or even 8 you run it down to five before you take any kind of shot. To may times this season and of course yesterday teams have scored because we shot the ball to quickly on the last possession.
We had a solid 19 point and lead and the chance to make it 21 and we shot with 13 seconds left on a 14 second clock. They grab the rebound go down and make a 3 cutting our guaranteed 19 point lead to 16 and a little momentum going into the locker room.
I wish I could say this is the only time this has happened. No it has happened at least five time this season maybe more.

I feel the same frustration when watching "home run" passes go out of bounds. But, the general ethos of this team is to push pace (and the Lvs are generally better in that mode than the slower half court set). So, the reality is this; a player like Westbrook sees a small opening and threads the needle with a pass leading to a score; then, she is a floor general and we cheer about great team work we have. But sometimes, a player like Westbrook sees a small opening and tries to thread the need with a pass but it does not work out -- then we scream and curse about bad decision making and the lack of coaching and discipline! However, those plays are the twin sides of the same coin.

What gets me more upset are cases where the TOs come from indecisiveness; holding the ball, dribbling and then getting caught in a double team; or a lack of concentration where a fairly simple pass is either off target or bobbled out of bounds.

As for clock management, I would rather see the LVs get a shot up (if open and even early) if we have rebounders in position. The LVs odds of making the shot or getting the offensive put back are probably better than our slow down game, which all to often seems to end up in a TO (see above).

In sum, I think the most legitimate criticism of Holly is that our half court offense is still subpar but this has a been a long term problem for the LVs going back to the CP3 era and before) and which inspired CPS to try various experiments with motion offense or the triangle. During the CP3 era, the half court offense more often than not came to down, run an isolation for CP3 (which is not a bad strategy). Unfortunately, players like that don't come along too often, though Davis is showing some potential to be that kind of shot creator.

Last edited:
Holly needs to teach intelligent passing. If a pass looks to risky it is and shouldn't be made.
She also has to teach this bunch that when there are 30 seconds or less on the clock you take the last shot of that quarter. You do not fire one up with 13 seconds left or even 8 you run it down to five before you take any kind of shot. To may times this season and of course yesterday teams have scored because we shot the ball to quickly on the last possession.
We had a solid 19 point and lead and the chance to make it 21 and we shot with 13 seconds left on a 14 second clock. They grab the rebound go down and make a 3 cutting our guaranteed 19 point lead to 16 and a little momentum going into the locker room.
I wish I could say this is the only time this has happened. No it has happened at least five time this season maybe more.

There are empty headed mistakes on the floor in the areas of passing, shooting, dribbling,,,walking :)gone:.

Those same passes that we ooh and ahh over are the same ones that are blamed on being flashy...Guess what, the girls game has grown up. They can do look-aways, wrap-arounds, behind the backs, drop-passes,,,just the same as they can do cross-overs, fade-aways, and dunks...

Along with the game, the skill level has risen in younger players. They come in with skills like these and they got "noticed" by using them. This is why I applaud these freshmen. They have no fear of failure, ergo, no fear blocking success.

You got to risk it to get the biskit...As a coach, yes I want them to play within their game. As a coach I want them to expand their game too.

My two hard fast rules for "Flashy passes" or ANY thing that happens on my court:

1- It's only showing off if it isn't part of your everyday game.

2- If isn't something you practice continually, it isn't part of your everyday game.

VN Store

Back