HOLLY could be the worst coach....

You really believe Holly tells her girls to pass to Russell when she is triple teamed.....even double teamed, you really think she goes into practice and instructs them to throw passes to Russell with that type of coverage?

No but after a timeout the play always has an emphasis of getting her the ball and that is when Hayes throws it to the other team.

Reactions: 1 person
Its similar to the football team. Looks like the players are not playing well when actually the offense is easy to defend. Hard to run an offense thats easy to defend, so they force it time and time again. One trick pony.

HW learned nothing as an assistant under Pat.
She is winning on talent only. Can not develop the talent.
Not capable of making in game adjustments.
Way too soft on the players, no toughness or discipline.
No excuse for the Arkansas game to be that close last night.

Her post game pressers on are painful, acts like she was not even at the game and “does not know what happened “

This team under her coaching will be an early exit from the tourney.

Reactions: 7 people
Pat always emphasized getting the ball inside but the difference she had players that had movement and could get open playing inside. Russell has no movement she may walk from one side of the lane to the other then she just stands with arms outstretched and other teams arms already slapping her arms. She has nothing as far as speed or moves to shed defenders and she certainly can't take it one on one and make a play.
If you get her the ball over a 60 percent chance she will make the shot but what good is that if ten times a game it is a turnover. Your successful 10 times she makes six for 12 points then you have to add the ten turnovers making her 6 for 20 or 30 percent.
Teams don't want her to get the ball and they have seen how much Tennessee turns it over in their efforts to get it to her. They like the percentages especially thinking that the other four players can't make a perimeter shot successfully. Teams are willing to gamble look for more of it in all the games left.
Davis and Jackson step up and make the offense other than the many turnovers successful last night. We need that to continue minus the turnovers.

Reactions: 2 people
No but after a timeout the play always has an emphasis of getting her the ball and that is when Hayes throws it to the other team.

Players are not robots. A PG should read the play, and if Russell is triple covered, go with option B.

Hayes is a freshman and makes freshman mistakes. Though she makes a lot of plays, she does anticipate well (a bit like a QB who does not pick up on a disguised coverage) and she loses focus on defense (that one does get under my skin).

On the first point, I am sure in her High school career, she could make those kind of passes because defenders generally weren't has fast or as rangy as in the college game. Part of the adjustment that high ranked freshman players have to make is that they can't impose their will on the game as easily as in High school level competition.

Those shortcomings need to be a point of corrective emphasis right now and I am sure they are being addressed. Unfortunately, it can take time for player to develop new habits.

someone wrote on the football forum that now that Butch is gone - can't continue to berate him. Pruitt has a pass until he speaks or moves during game time and then we'll dissect his every action.

Note the Avatar of the intelligent male who started this thread and the continuing remarks of his buddies. It says it all.

Reactions: 5 people
Players are not robots. A PG should read the play, and if Russell is triple covered, go with option B.

Hayes is a freshman and makes freshman mistakes. Though she makes a lot of plays, she does anticipate well (a bit like a QB who does not pick up on a disguised coverage) and she loses focus on defense (that one does get under my skin).

On the first point, I am sure in her High school career, she could make those kind of passes because defenders generally weren't has fast or as rangy as in the college game. Part of the adjustment that high ranked freshman players have to make is that they can't impose their will on the game as easily as in High school level competition.

Those shortcomings need to be a point of corrective emphasis right now and I am sure they are being addressed. Unfortunately, it can take time for player to develop new habits.

Where as she is quick and fast enough to driive through the double team, she should be more prudent in challenging the traps. With her improving 3 pointer, she is a Temeka Johnson. Let her battle Morgan William!

Freshmen are probably Robot like whatever the coach says they will try to do. Talent increases a little as they go through their career the mental part of the game is what separates winners from losers. I wish we would use option B a lot more often you have no opportunity to score if you don't get up a shot. I wish 19 plus turnovers was an enigma unfortunately it has been a constant this season and no relief in sight. Holly has to take the blame whether she is the reason or not unable to correct is something that reflects on a coaches ability.

Freshmen are probably Robot like whatever the coach says they will try to do. Talent increases a little as they go through their career the mental part of the game is what separates winners from losers. I wish we would use option B a lot more often you have no opportunity to score if you don't get up a shot. I wish 19 plus turnovers was an enigma unfortunately it has been a constant this season and no relief in sight. Holly has to take the blame whether she is the reason or not unable to correct is something that reflects on a coaches ability.

As we can't blame Diamond any more, Holly should fess up!

Reactions: 3 people

Midtown you make some very good observations,however, we have been discussing what is wrong with our recruits for the last six years. We prognosticate what it will take for them to improve, when things do not improve, we place a lot of blame on the players, and certainly they have their share, however someone is responsible for correcting bad behavior? Who is responsible for their development? Are we recruiting a bunch of 5 star knuckleheads incapable of learning?

We have had as many 5 stars in the last six years as most of the top 10 teams but who do not seem to consistently play up to their level. We have a short bench, but so does number 3 ND, as well as UCONN did three years ago when they won it all. This year we have a major talent in Russell, who if used up to her talent, could be dominate on both ends of the court. I also believe that she has first team All American talent, which I believe you will see in the pros.

Next year, if we can keep what we have, we may have top three talent, the question becomes, with that much talent, how do we consistently play up to our talent level? If we fail to play up to our level of talent, who is responsible? As a high school coach I always felt it was my responsibility, and my duty, to develope players, motivate players to play up to their God given abilities and to correct ineffective play and/or behavioral issues. Maybe things are different in college because I never had the honor to coach at that level.

HW learned nothing as an assistant under Pat.
She is winning on talent only. Can not develop the talent.
Not capable of making in game adjustments.
Way too soft on the players, no toughness or discipline.
No excuse for the Arkansas game to be that close last night.

Her post game pressers on are painful, acts like she was not even at the game and “does not know what happened “

This team under her coaching will be an early exit from the tourney.

Welcome to Realville

someone wrote on the football forum that now that Butch is gone - can't continue to berate him. Pruitt has a pass until he speaks or moves during game time and then we'll dissect his every action.

Note the Avatar of the intelligent male who started this thread and the continuing remarks of his buddies. It says it all.

What says it all is: Fans who defend CHW after watching her team of all stars who are 3 or 4 times more talented than most of their opponents continually play undisciplined basketball, continually struggle after time outs and continually get out hustled.

I wouldnt mind Van Chancellor coming out of retirement and finishing the season as HC

Midtown you make some very good observations,however, we have been discussing what is wrong with our recruits for the last six years. We prognosticate what it will take for them to improve, when things do not improve, we place a lot of blame on the players, and certainly they have their share, however someone is responsible for correcting bad behavior? Who is responsible for their development? Are we recruiting a bunch of 5 star knuckleheads incapable of learning?

We have had as many 5 stars in the last six years as most of the top 10 teams but who do not seem to consistently play up to their level. We have a short bench, but so does number 3 ND, as well as UCONN did three years ago when they won it all. This year we have a major talent in Russell, who if used up to her talent, could be dominate on both ends of the court. I also believe that she has first team All American talent, which I believe you will see in the pros.

Next year, if we can keep what we have, we may have top three talent, the question becomes, with that much talent, how do we consistently play up to our talent level? If we fail to play up to our level of talent, who is responsible? As a high school coach I always felt it was my responsibility, and my duty, to develope players, motivate players to play up to their God given abilities and to correct ineffective play and/or behavioral issues. Maybe things are different in college because I never had the honor to coach at that level.

If we go by recent history, Nared improved; Jackson has improved considerably; Russell has improved; and Middleton was a nice development curve as well.

We will never know about Cooper due to injuries and her transfer.

Holly inherited a really good team in the Harrison-Burdick years but Harrison ACL's derailed that train, though that team did make to the elite 8.

The recruiting has been a little checkered since then. Russell with her surgery; Jones having her career ended with concussions; Cooper's issues; Middleton and Dunbar were major project players that one could argue were not the best choices for the LVs who needed athletic defenders in those key years. I respect Dunbar mightily for sticking with it for years and her game has developed. She has become a viable role player; Middleton was further along but she would be playing behind the freshman and Jackson if she had stayed. I suspect her role would have been much like Dunbar.

Tucker, a prize recruit, never got past her knee injury and mental trauma.

The transfer Nunn worked out well but again she was still a role player not a star.

We did have a "blue chipper" in Diamond who had a great stretch at the end of her first season but never quite lived up to the billing in her next season. That is one clear case of underperforming and you can put on Holly.

And you can point to a few teams who have done more with the less (for sure) but I don't think it is the case that Holly has had teams of prized race horses. She has some really good players (and some who might have been really good if not for injuries) mixed with more middle of the pack players, who often were a little short on athleticism.

Before this years class and the incoming one, Holly's recruiting record was hit (Mercedes, Nared, and Cooper) and miss.

Now, this year team is "stacked." The big drawbacks are freshman point guards who are still figuring some important aspects of the game. And, the team is not consistent in its shooting, particularly from the outside (that can go on Holly) and the defensive lapses are its biggest liability (Holly again).

But, they are 20-4 with some signature wins and an offense that is generally pretty high flying. And they have shown plenty of grit this season. For all the hand wringing, there Ark game has some hopeful signs- Davis taking over a game; Meme stepping up as a much needed offensive threat. If the LVs can integrate those bright spots in with more standard level performances from EW, MR, and JN, they could be a formidable offensive squad.

Reactions: 4 people
If we go by recent history, Nared improved; Jackson has improved considerably; Russell has improved; and Middleton was a nice development curve as well.

We will never know about Cooper due to injuries and her transfer.

Holly inherited a really good team in the Harrison-Burdick years but Harrison ACL's derailed that train, though that team did make to the elite 8.

The recruiting has been a little checkered since then. Russell with her surgery; Jones having her career ended with concussions; Cooper's issues; Middleton and Dunbar were major project players that one could argue were not the best choices for the LVs who needed athletic defenders in those key years. I respect Dunbar mightily for sticking with it for years and her game has developed. She has become a viable role player; Middleton was further along but she would be playing behind the freshman and Jackson if she had stayed. I suspect her role would have been much like Dunbar.

Tucker, a prize recruit, never got past her knee injury and mental trauma.

The transfer Nunn worked out well but again she was still a role player not a star.

We did have a "blue chipper" in Diamond who had a great stretch at the end of her first season but never quite lived up to the billing in her next season. That is one clear case of underperforming and you can put on Holly.

And you can point to a few teams who have done more with the less (for sure) but I don't think it is the case that Holly has had teams of prized race horses. She has some really good players (and some who might have been really good if not for injuries) mixed with more middle of the pack players, who often were a little short on athleticism.

Before this years class and the incoming one, Holly's recruiting record was hit (Mercedes, Nared, and Cooper) and miss.

Now, this year team is "stacked." The big drawbacks are freshman point guards who are still figuring some important aspects of the game. And, the team is not consistent in its shooting, particularly from the outside (that can go on Holly) and the defensive lapses are its biggest liability (Holly again).

But, they are 20-4 with some signature wins and an offense that is generally pretty high flying. And they have shown plenty of grit this season. For all the hand wringing, there Ark game has some hopeful signs- Davis taking over a game; Meme stepping up as a much needed offensive threat. If the LVs can integrate those bright spots in with more standard level performances from EW, MR, and JN, they could be a formidable offensive squad.

The recruiting class with Tucker was our best until last year! Tucker was the outside shooter that never worked out! If she had made it ??? I think FF could have been possible for a couple of years? JMO

The game is changing..... You must have a good offense and also be able to shoot the three! And be able to penetrate! Now you must be able to guard both options which I don’t think we can???

AAU ball is all about offense ? Who can score the most points. JMO. With what is coming next year.
Not sure what to expect! BUT it won’t be throw it inside or throw it away!!!! 😁

I’d love for them to can Holly and lure Steph White away from Vandy! Her approach is to have players expand and use their talents in a free flowing system, while Holly fences her girls in little tiny containers like veal calves. They don’t grow cuz they are not allowed to move and explore. Defense doesn’t get better cuz everything is so regimented.

Its quite obvious that Holly is not the right coach. I'm not sure why we keep tolerating her mediocrity. We should go hire somebody like Wes Moore from NC State.

I’d love for them to can Holly and lure Steph White away from Vandy! Her approach is to have players expand and use their talents in a free flowing system, while Holly fences her girls in little tiny containers like veal calves. They don’t grow cuz they are not allowed to move and explore. Defense doesn’t get better cuz everything is so regimented.
Wow you must be an assistant coach or someone close to both programs to know what each coach does/teaches. Do you happen to know who we have a chance at getting in 2019 as far as recruiting?

Last edited:

Are you Serious?

In the top 25 coaching group. Ive seen this before, I've coached sports for twenty years. The assistant coach is the friend, the go between from the head coach that makes you cry with the rigors of performance and being fit and the arse chewings that ensue. It's a difficult transition to go from friend to head coach. Holly was a great player, and a great assistant. The head coach has to be the disciplinarian, the guy that the players respect and sometimes hates. But the success that the team gains from that makes the players love them. Holly is not that and can never be that. I use to cuss my greatest head coach under my breath during practice. I never really felt comfortable during my playing career around him, but I realized later that he was just pushing all the buttons to make us all better. The Lady Vols discipline and conditioning is so lacking. We should not be brought down to the wire by a .500 team, and never give up double digit leads to any team with the talent we have. We are soft and it is the reflection of the coach or should I say friend.

Same reason too many parents want to be buddies with their kids.

Its quite obvious that Holly is not the right coach. I'm not sure why we keep tolerating her mediocrity. We should go hire somebody like Wes Moore from NC State.

Yes, Wes Moore who at NC state!!

NC State (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2013–present)
2013–14 NC State 25-8 11-5 4th NCAA 1st Round
2014–15 NC State 18-15 7-9 T-9th WNIT Third Round
2015–16 NC State 20–11 10–6 6th [Declined WNIT bid]
2016–17 NC State 23–9 12–4 4th NCAA 2nd Round
2017–18 NC State 19-5 8-3

Yes, the coach who has taken NCST to a pair of WNIT tournaments and 1st and 2nd round exists at the NCAA is definitely the "upgrade" we need. If only Holly could get us to the WNIT!!!

I really LOVE the Van Chancellor name that came up in another post. Nothing says moving a program forward like hiring a retired, 74 year old whose last three coaching seasons at LSU (upon a return from retirement), culminated in a pair of 2nd round exits and not making the tournament in 2010-2011. Pick up the phone Phil, give the fans what they want. Fire Holly and hire van Chancellor. Look out UConn!!!

Reactions: 5 people
Yes, Wes Moore who at NC state!!

NC State (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2013–present)
2013–14 NC State 25-8 11-5 4th NCAA 1st Round
2014–15 NC State 18-15 7-9 T-9th WNIT Third Round
2015–16 NC State 20–11 10–6 6th [Declined WNIT bid]
2016–17 NC State 23–9 12–4 4th NCAA 2nd Round
2017–18 NC State 19-5 8-3

Yes, the coach who has taken NCST to a pair of WNIT tournaments and 1st and 2nd round exists at the NCAA is definitely the "upgrade" we need. If only Holly could get us to the WNIT!!!

I really LOVE the Van Chancellor name that came up in another post. Nothing says moving a program forward like hiring a retired, 74 year old whose last three coaching seasons at LSU (upon a return from retirement), culminated in a pair of 2nd round exits and not making the tournament in 2010-2011. Pick up the phone Phil, give the fans what they want. Fire Holly and hire van Chancellor. Look out UConn!!!

To be fair, Holly has had advantages not available to Wes Moore. Holly inherited the most storied program in the history of the women's game, with the best facilities, the best fan support, the best of everything. Many top players still want to come to Knoxville, and I can't help but believe that those advantages are the biggest reasons.

Wes Moore, if HE had inherited the Lady Vols program when Holly did, may very well have equaled or -- as I suspect -- bettered her performance.

It really isn't a fair comparison, IMO, given that the playing field is skewed.

To be fair, Holly has had advantages not available to Wes Moore. Holly inherited the most storied program in the history of the women's game, with the best facilities, the best fan support, the best of everything. Many top players still want to come to Knoxville, and I can't help but believe that those advantages are the biggest reasons.

Wes Moore, if HE had inherited the Lady Vols program when Holly did, may very well have equaled or -- as I suspect -- bettered her performance.

It really isn't a fair comparison, IMO, given that the playing field is skewed.

Yes, there is that element but let's be completely accurate. Holly did not inherit the program right after the Candace Parker era. She took over after a few year drought, including a 2nd round loss to mighty Ball State with the so-called baby vols. Following that anomaly, the LVs become a team that could not get past the elite 8.

Still an elite program but not the destination it once was.

Most D1 programs have good to great facilities so that is not the point of differentiation that it sometimes made out to be.

But last but not least, inherited a strong program is not guarantee that the next coach will keep it going.

We have the cautionary tales of UCLA under Wooden among others that could be named. It is not uncommon for programs to fall into real doldrums when the legend coach leaves.

VN Store

Back