Hofstra transfer Darlinstone Dubar has committed to Tennessee

Am I mistaken or was he one of the most efficient players I’m D1 last year? Believe Lanier was also on the list.

This guy is a big wing. He's a bucket. He's not really a playmaker, but he also doesn't make a ton of mistakes. 2.1 stocks per game last year. 18 and 7 shooting 40% from 3p and 65% from 2p.

I'm not expecting the next Knecht, but this is the profile. We should be totally stoked if he's even 80% of Knecht.

I'll be happy with 60% percent of Knecht. Knecht was a one-off. How many guys go emerge from a small college after 3/4 years and show up at a major with his kind of do-it-all scoring talent and, equally, his kind of confidence? Very rare. Equally adept at taking the rock to the rim or knocking down 3s. Good size, length, and some hop in the legs. Were it not for Purdue's Frankenstein, he'd have been the best player in the country. It was winning the transfer lottery x 50. We'll need 2 /legit/ scorers to get 80 percent of Knecht.

I'll be happy with 60% percent of Knecht. Knecht was a one-off. How many guys go emerge from a small college after 3/4 years and show up at a major with his kind of do-it-all scoring talent and, equally, his kind of confidence? Very rare. Equally adept at taking the rock to the rim or knocking down 3s. Good size, length, and some hop in the legs. Were it not for Purdue's Frankenstein, he'd have been the best player in the country. It was winning the transfer lottery x 50. We'll need 2 /legit/ scorers to get 80 percent of Knecht.

His shot form is weird. It actually works on a step-back, but as a spot up shooter, it's a slow release that starts out low and is very blockable. But he looks like he has a better handle than Knecht, a better finisher, and I would guess he plays better D. So I'm still hoping for 80% of Knecht.

Think it’s very realistic that we could get JJJ production statistically speaking from Dubar. Much more similar to JJJ than Knecht imo. From what I’ve seen, Dubar isn’t a “get him the ball and get out of the way” kind of guy.

I do, however, fully expect him to be able to knock down shots in the flow of the offense and get some out backs here and there. Again, 9.0 ppg with 5 rpg seems realistic from a production standpoint.

Think it’s very realistic that we could get JJJ production statistically speaking from Dubar. Much more similar to JJJ than Knecht imo. From what I’ve seen, Dubar isn’t a “get him the ball and get out of the way” kind of guy.

I do, however, fully expect him to be able to knock down shots in the flow of the offense and get some out backs here and there. Again, 9.0 ppg with 5 rpg seems realistic from a production standpoint.
We’ll miss JJJ’s defense massively, was one of the best in the country for years, but Dubar definitely adds a better catch and shoot guy than we’ve had (outside of Knecht).

Also surprised to see he was a 70% shooter at the rim. Against weak comp but still, that’s better than anyone on our team this year.

We’ll miss JJJ’s defense massively, was one of the best in the country for years, but Dubar definitely adds a better catch and shoot guy than we’ve had (outside of Knecht).

Also surprised to see he was a 70% shooter at the rim. Against weak comp but still, that’s better than anyone on our team this year.

JJJ’s defensive versatility will never be truly appreciated. Not many guys out there who can guard 1-4 effectively and even the 5 in a pinch.

His shot form is weird. It actually works on a step-back, but as a spot up shooter, it's a slow release that starts out low and is very blockable. But he looks like he has a better handle than Knecht, a better finisher, and I would guess he plays better D. So I'm still hoping for 80% of Knecht.

You can’t be serious? Better handle than Knecht? Just Wow…

I think he will be a more versatile defender than DK, but offensively he’s nowhere in the same hemisphere as DK. I could see him averaging 8 or 9 ppg. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

I think he will be a more versatile defender than DK, but offensively he’s nowhere in the same hemisphere as DK. I could see him averaging 8 or 9 ppg. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

To be fair, there’s not many transfers out there that will have Knecht’s offensive ability.

Dude was a once in a lifetime type player.

To be fair, there’s not many transfers out there that will have Knecht’s offensive ability.

Oh for sure. Just more of a statement that Dubar is more versatility than he is pure scorer.

Odds are on your side, but not going to rule out the shot whisperer named Barnes backfilling some of DK's production with a guy like this, and maybe some more with another addition filling the collective minutes that JJJ and Santi are ALSO leaving behind and especially with a probable change in kick out game from our posts next year. Got to hope Coach sees things in our additions just like DK and lands the right ones.

So weird how yesterday he didn’t have a commit-able offer.

Recruiting is so weird.

Nice pick up!
I don’t buy some of the hype around “insider info” on this board. There may be a few but for the most part, it’s all assumptions and rumors.

With that said, hopefully this young man is the real deal and can help this roster.

Go Vols!

Better finisher than Knecht?

Better finisher than Knecht?

Statistically speaking, he has a really high finishing percentage around the rim if I remember right. How that translates to the SEC remains to be seen. He won’t be a Knecht. We may never see another Knecht. Dubar can absolutely fill he JJJ role, at least on offense. Defensively I don’t know think you can 100% replace JJJ’s versatility in just one player.

Can't argue with his offensive efficiency over multiple years, for a guy who has played a ton of basketball. Three years in a row double figure scorer so see no reason why he can't get to double figures with us, particularly since Hofstra played pretty slow tempo at 283 in kenpom. Does have low and slow release from perimeter and wonder if his rhythm will be affected if teams play him tight. Barnes will quicken it up for him. Only had 4 games last year where he didn't make a 3 pointer but still averaged about 14 pts per game in those games so he can put ball in the bucket.

Seems to have attributes to be a good defender and enough athletic ability to switch onto a smaller player. Hard to tell how good of post defender or post offensive player he may be, off limited video clips. Doesn't really create for himself or others, but also doesn't turn the ball over or foul much so just a solid steady 3 and D guy who will play alot of minutes at the 4. Pretty solid replacement for JJJ on paper.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Can't argue with his offensive efficiency over multiple years, for a guy who has played a ton of basketball. Three years in a row double figure scorer so see no reason why he can't get to double figures with us, particularly since Hofstra played pretty slow tempo at 283 in kenpom. Does have low and slow release from perimeter and wonder if his rhythm will be affected if teams play him tight. Barnes will quicken it up for him. Only had 4 games last year where he didn't make a 3 pointer but still averaged about 14 pts per game in those games so he can put ball in the bucket.

Seems to have attributes to be a good defender and enough athletic ability to switch onto a smaller player. Hard to tell how good of post defender or post offensive player he may be, off limited video clips. Doesn't really create for himself or others, but also doesn't turn the ball over or foul much so just a solid steady 3 and D guy who will play alot of minutes at the 4. Pretty solid replacement for JJJ on paper.
Yeah I immediately thought 3 and D guy when looking at his stats as well. Looks like he could at the very least fill in as a JJJ role and provide potentially more offense consistently

VN Store

Back