Hofstra transfer Darlinstone Dubar has committed to Tennessee

This guy is a big wing. He's a bucket. He's not really a playmaker, but he also doesn't make a ton of mistakes. 2.1 stocks per game last year. 18 and 7 shooting 40% from 3p and 65% from 2p. I'm not expecting the next Knecht, but this is the profile. We should be totally stoked if he's even 80% of Knecht.
Stocks?

Stocks = blocks + steals

I'm a big metrics guy and one thing I look for is hustle stats vs. fouls. If you're getting lots of boards and you have 2+ stocks per game and < 2 fouls like Dubar has, you are likely a great defender.
I didn't suspect a portmanteau word.
Stocks or Bleals - it's all the same to me.

But he looks like he has a better handle than Knecht, a better finisher, and I would guess he plays better D.
Seriously? Knecht was an outstanding finisher and had an excellent handle. Throughout the season DK developed into a respectable defender, good shot blocker, and a good rebounder. Dunbar isn’t likely going to be better at anything compared to Knecht unless he proves to be a Mashack level defender which isn’t a knock on Dunbar in any way. DK was SEC POY and a first team all American - not fair to compare our next guys to him for validation.

Hofstra had a pretty good team in their league ; actually has kept a good team lately. But no, the tats ain't gonna help him.

Seriously? Knecht was an outstanding finisher and had an excellent handle. Throughout the season DK developed into a respectable defender, good shot blocker, and a good rebounder. Dunbar isn’t likely going to be better at anything compared to Knecht unless he proves to be a Mashack level defender which isn’t a knock on Dunbar in any way. DK was SEC POY and a first team all American - not fair to compare our next guys to him for validation.

Yep. This IS Volnation ya know.

JJJ’s defensive versatility will never be truly appreciated. Not many guys out there who can guard 1-4 effectively and even the 5 in a pinch.
Exactly. And it wasn’t just that he could do it, it was he could guard each position at an elite level. Elite versatility on that end. Watching him move his feet against quick pgs was fun to watch

Exactly. And it wasn’t just that he could do it, it was he could guard each position at an elite level. Elite versatility on that end. Watching him move his feet against quick pgs was fun to watch
JJJ. ZZ and Santi’s defense allowed DK to stay on the court on the other end and fire away. They kept other teams way out top and fighting late clock a lot.

It's usually best to stay accurate when trying to defend an opinion about a player. DK was a phenomenal player who UT was lucky to get to enjoy for one season. He will be a 1st round draft pick. He also definitely had deficiencies as a ball handler. He was not a strong ball-handler. He was a very good downhill straight-line driver. He covered ALOT of ground when get got downhill. But he did not do a good job protecting the ball in traffic off the bounce. He also did not have a bucket of ball-handling moves to shake defenders. I have no idea if Dunbar is a better ball-handler. I have watched very little film on him so far. But DK's ball-handling is something that will need to improve quite a bit at the next level.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Knecht had difficulty driving through traffic and in some games was an inaccurate passer. Against Purdue he had a number of passes where he identified the right target but put the ball too far away to let them rotate to the open player out of the double team. A lot of times when he faced double teams he would dribble backwards to find space rather than find the split. He's obsessive about improving his game, but it's impossible to be great at everything, and he's probably going to improve at all of that.

It reminds me a bit of Jaylen Brown, who is a similar size and has a lot of the same skill set. His handles are simply not good enough for him to be the primary dribbler for his team, part of the reason the Celtics have three solid point guards to keep him from having to take on those duties.

VN Store

Back