Hit me with some mind blowing facts

They called it the "bug of the sea." It's amazing what marketing can do.

The "real name" of Chilean sea bass is a Patagonian toothfish. It's a marketing name someone came up with in the 70s. Who wants to eat something called a toothfish?
While delicious, the Patagonian Toothfish is an ugly SOB. I kind of wish I had never looked up pics a while ago...

1000010179.jpg

My hometown of Elizabethton, Tennessee is closer to Canada (Middle Island, Lake Erie) than it is to Memphis, Tennessee.
Yeah, I lived in JC in the 80s, and had clients in Memphis. There was no good way to get to Memphis then. You had to fly through Charlotte on Piedmont(became NW). Props at first. The travel took a day whether you drove or flew.
Memphis was a pretty decent town then.
I would have seminars for my client's employees there and would always start by using a large map with a string to show them that I lived closer to Canada than Memphis.

Iceland has no mosquitoes.

While it might seem merely annoying, the mosquito is actually responsible for more deaths than any other insect. They alone are responsible for over one million deaths worldwide yearly, making them the single deadliest animal in the world.

Iceland has no mosquitoes.

While it might seem merely annoying, the mosquito is actually responsible for more deaths than any other insect. They alone are responsible for over one million deaths worldwide yearly, making them the single deadliest animal in the world.
The most interesting on the list (wick I never would have guessed) is dogs at #4.

The most interesting on the list (wick I never would have guessed) is dogs at #4.
feral dogs are nothing to sneeze at. and without the inherent fear of man, and many man made things, they pose a much more immediate threat to humans. and because they are dogs, people don't get as defensive or protective as they would around a similar sized coyote.

we tend to assume that domestication is forever, but it only takes a generation or two for them to becomes something completely separate from our pets.

It's pretty common knowledge that the MLB stadium at the highest elevation is Coors Field in Denver at about 5200 feet. Second is Chase Field in Phoenix at about 1200 feet. Perhaps not as widely known, but makes sense since Phoenix isn't exactly high desert but is close to mountains.

Third highest? It's actually Truist Park in Atlanta at about 1000 feet. It doesn't seem like it would be but Atlanta (especially northern suburbs) is technically the foothills of the Appalachians, and a lot of the other teams play in cities close to the oceans. It is also kind of surprising how many of the Great Lakes ballparks/cities are elevated (Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.).

Alaska is home to the four largest cities in America. The largest, Sitka, is roughly 9 times larger than NYC.

What is the largest US city by area?

The top ten largest cities by area are:
  • Sitka, AK (2,870.3 mi²)
  • Juneau, AK (2,701.9 mi²)
  • Wrangell, AK (2,542.5 mi²)
  • Anchorage, AK (1,704.7 mi²)
  • Jacksonville, FL (747 mi²)
  • Anaconda, MT (735.6 mi²)
  • Butte, MT (716.2 mi²)
  • Oklahoma City, OK (607 mi²)

Everything is bigger in TX.....except Alaska, which is over 2x bigger

Alaska-Texas-size-comparison-2048x1251.gif

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the exact same day - July 4, 1826. Among Adams's last words were supposedly "Thomas Jefferson survives," although he had died hours before.

Adams was 90 when he died (again, this is in 1826!) and was the longest-lived US President until Reagan passed him in 2001, 175 years later.

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the exact same day - July 4, 1826. Among Adams's last words were supposedly "Thomas Jefferson survives," although he had died hours before.

Adams was 90 when he died (again, this is in 1826!) and was the longest-lived US President until Reagan passed him in 2001, 175 years later.

I never knew this until I watched the John Adams miniseries. This blew my mind, I had to look it up for accuracy.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Younger child of a younger child? Mine was 21 when he surrendered in North Carolina.
That is a stretch!

Great grandaddy 's brother fought on both sides. CSA until captured and then switched sides, spending the rest of War in the Union Army.
Was 59 when grandaddy was born in 1908. Grandaddy was 31 when Dad was born in '39.

Your science teachers in school lied to you.

Remember the tongue and taste sensations; Sweet in the front, salty and sour on the sides and bitter at the back. It's possibly the most recognizable symbol in the study of taste, but it's wrong. In fact, it was debunked by chemosensory scientists (the folks who study how organs, like the tongue, respond to chemical stimuli) long ago.

VN Store

Back